So...ESP seems to be into 7's again

I got used to not having markers on the fretboard when my main guitar was a Gibson Gothic SG back in the day, so it doesen't bother me at all. I actually prefer the look of a blank fretboard!

How often do you solo, though?

How often do you solo, though?

A lot actually! I play a lot of neo classical stuff, a lot of big ass sweeps etc. so yep, I am perhaps more of a lead player. I didn't buy a seven stringer to stay on the low B all the time :lol:

The SG was not the most shred friendly guitar though, but i did my best to pull it off even with that one.

I just look at the markers on the side of the fretboard. I just had to get used to it, but I am glad I did, because when standing up, it's actually a lot easier to navigate with the side markers. But yes, it takes some time to get used to.

I guess you're not a member of sevenstring.org then. And even half the guys that want actives would rather have the passive sized Blackouts anyway.
Seriously, the majority of guys on sevenstring.org are passive pick up users (I'm one of them, until I get my Blackouts set, but when I get a second seven string I'm throwing passives in there instead of actives), and the majority of active users are using Blackouts.
Quite a few Loomis owners ditched the actives and put Dimarzios, Bare Knuckle Pickups or Seymour Duncans in there.
I just hate the way ESP isn't really offering people the choice of passive pickup sized actives or even just good passive 7 string pickups.
Some people like EMGs, me on the other hand, If I couldn't have Blackouts, I'd want passives, but if a guitar only has the EMG option, I just wouldn't want it, the EMG sized housings are butt ugly IMO.

the majority of guys on sevenstring.org are also bulb wannabe's that want 7's so they can play korn and ramble on about how schecter is a revolution in guitar crafting:lol:

i'm with dodo...generally because alot of the scene fags dont actually know what the fuck the difference between active and passive is they just know that its 'br00tz' and says 'EMG' on it. I'm all up for some blackoutssssssss but if ESP put passives in their already limited range then they wouldn't be able to target enough consumers tbh..

i've got an EC-1000 LTD and i loved it soo much up until i realised how muddy it was when recording. Yuck. Dont get me wrong its still awesome...would be interested to see a 7 string eclipse :p

the majority of guys on sevenstring.org are also bulb wannabe's that want 7's so they can play korn and ramble on about how schecter is a revolution in guitar crafting:lol:

i'm with dodo...generally because alot of the scene fags dont actually know what the fuck the difference between active and passive is they just know that its 'br00tz' and says 'EMG' on it. I'm all up for some blackoutssssssss but if ESP put passives in their already limited range then they wouldn't be able to target enough consumers tbh..

Actually, pretty much everyone at SS.org is sick of Djent now because newbies register and post up new threads asking how to Djent:lol:
I'm an SS.org member, but I don't have any interest in Djenting or using 8 strings like Bulb does.
I've played plenty of ESPs and have no doubt they are great guitars, but it's true, at least for me, that the brand gets tarnished not only because they seem willing to hand out an excessive number of signature models, but because of all the fucking 14 year old kids that buy them because ESP+EMG=Brootalz.
I guess not everyone is hanging out at forums nerding it up on forum wisdom though:lol:

I don't mind EMGs, you only need to point to Jeff Loomis to know those things are capable of amazing tone, but when I pick up a guitar with them, it sounds bland and sterile to me and doesn't inspire me to play that much.
I've always had this thing where certain gear can sound great through someone that enjoys using it, but if I pick it up and use it it might not sound good as I play it.
Hell, Dimarzio Evos, D-Sonics and D-Activators track fucking well and sound great for 7 string guitars (with the right body wood). There are quite a few Seymour Duncans and BKPs that track well too. They aren't worse or better than EMGs, just different. Ultimately even if Metaltastic says Blackouts are craptastic, if they inspire the player to be at their best, what's wrong with them?

Metaltastic definitely knows what he's talking aboiut from alot of the clips ive heard by him they have a little bit too much grit and high-end for my liking, and the thing i prefer about blackouts is their all round warm,thick,half-as-compressed tone as an EMG pickup. Well Djent hasn't really picked up in my opinion and the good ting about it is that you've got to be of at least a semi-reasonable standard at guitar to even sound okay at it. So if it inspires scene fags to get better at their playing then im all up for that.

Ultimately even if Metaltastic says Blackouts are craptastic, if they inspire the player to be at their best, what's wrong with them?

Nothing, of course - but to be clear, I'm not just saying I think they suck and leaving it at that, rather linking people to a pretty scientific comparison so they can decide for themselves ;) And my experience comes from direct A/B recording comparisons, rather than just personal testimonials of playing in the room with "PLACEBO" written all over them (AKA much of SS.org)

I guess you're not a member of sevenstring.org then. And even half the guys that want actives would rather have the passive sized Blackouts anyway.
Seriously, the majority of guys on sevenstring.org are passive pick up users (I'm one of them, until I get my Blackouts set, but when I get a second seven string I'm throwing passives in there instead of actives), and the majority of active users are using Blackouts.
Quite a few Loomis owners ditched the actives and put Dimarzios, Bare Knuckle Pickups or Seymour Duncans in there.
I just hate the way ESP isn't really offering people the choice of passive pickup sized actives or even just good passive 7 string pickups.
Some people like EMGs, me on the other hand, If I couldn't have Blackouts, I'd want passives, but if a guitar only has the EMG option, I just wouldn't want it, the EMG sized housings are butt ugly IMO.

I'm sorry, but I'm a member of SS.org and that is the last fucking place on Earth I would look to for advice on pickups. And I'm not alone in thinking that at all. A bunch of misinformed hacks there bud, sorry. DSS3 stepped in on a thread a long time ago because all the "gurus" on that forum were telling a user completely WRONG information. He was threatened by admins because he was showing everyone what a fucking moron this SS.org hero was. Don't talk about it like it's God's fucking gift to the internet.

ANYWAY. Hate on the housing size all you want, but if that's the only complaint then you have priorities all jacked up. The reason why ESP doesn't offer passives is because passives FUCKING SUCK on 7's. You need to spend some time away from that forum and only read it for their news updates on gear coming out, or their classifieds. That's all that place is good for to me. This forum has WAY more expertise that is CORRECT than SS.org will ever have.

Where the fuck is Sloan anyway, I need some Sloanage to make my day brighter. UM.com forum search to the rescue!

I'm sorry, but I'm a member of SS.org and that is the last fucking place on Earth I would look to for advice on pickups. And I'm not alone in thinking that at all. A bunch of misinformed hacks there bud, sorry. DSS3 stepped in on a thread a long time ago because all the "gurus" on that forum were telling a user completely WRONG information. He was threatened by admins because he was showing everyone what a fucking moron this SS.org hero was. Don't talk about it like it's God's fucking gift to the internet.

ANYWAY. Hate on the housing size all you want, but if that's the only complaint then you have priorities all jacked up. The reason why ESP doesn't offer passives is because passives FUCKING SUCK on 7's. You need to spend some time away from that forum and only read it for their news updates on gear coming out, or their classifieds. That's all that place is good for to me. This forum has WAY more expertise that is CORRECT than SS.org will ever have.

Well I don't say SS.org is god's gift to anyone. I'm a member of several forums because I like to get a wide range of opinions because all forums have their own biases, and dare I say, this forum is biased towards EMGs, while SS.org has a Blackouts/BKP bias.
I'm not an SS.org fanboy, I'll admit there is garbage posted there that is blatantly incorrect, either subjectively or objectively.
But this happens at every forum.
I've seen good advice at Harmony Central even if you have to sift through the 95 per cent of other posts that are complete garbage.
Hell, there's posts here at the Sneap forum that is objectively and subjectively incorrect.
I've seen posts where people believe it's okay to pirate software at this forum. Personally I believe that's wrong and by law, objectively that's wrong.
That's why the best way to do it, is to get as much information as you can from as many sources as possible and do plenty of researching before settling on something.
I personally just like to wait until I try out shit for myself, because I'm not the sort of guy to buy shit because someone tells me it's good, I do my research on products months before buying anything.
Inevitably we are going to have agree to disagree on 7 string pickups.
I think the D-Sonic 7, Evo 7 and Blaze Custom 7 pickups sound amazing.
Some of my favorite 7 string tones, Passion and Warfare (Steve Vai), the 7 string tracks from Awake and Train of Thought (Dream Theater/John Petrucci on guitar) all used passives.
I've seen Petrucci live, twice, once with his Road King Setup, and once with his Mark IV set up. Both times his tone absolutely slayed with the 7 string, and had clarity, heaviness, and chunk in spades.
Maybe you don't like Vai's tone, cool.
Maybe you don't like Petrucci's tone, cool, because you don't have to and we're all different tone and hear with different ears.
You always have to remember not everyone plays metal.
I don't always play metal.
EMGs are great for metal, but I personally hate how they sound and feel for lower gain rock playing, so why would I want EMGs? They are just not for me.
Looser low end or not, I would take a JB bridge over an EMG 81 bridge anyday, because it suits my style better in 6 strings. For the neck I would take a fairly low output Seymour Dunca Alnico II pro in a 6 string over an EMG 85 neck, because again, I just prefer it. Not because anyone else told me it was better, but because a few years of playing through those pickups let me develop the way I hear them.
I tried Blackouts and vastly preferred the way it sounded at lower gain levels because of the lower amount of compression and much preferred the clean sound.
Is that fair?

I'd also like to see some with passives. Or actually, we do have a couple available here that come with passives, such as this one: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/original/vp/vp_sl7.html which I really like.

I had a Sc607B once with the 81-7's but I didn't like the tones I got from it. I thought about putting passives into it, but in the end I decided to sell it instead (which I still regret BTW). What's funny is that the current owner first replaced the 81-7's with 707's and now he's got passives in it. Apparently he didn't like them either. I've had some other guitars with EMG's too, they just don't do it for me. I just feel like I get the tone I want from passives, that's all, nothing against those who prefer actives. I've had some passive 7-string pickups that suck too, such as the SD Custom 7 I had in my Custom 7 :)lol:) initially, which I instantly replaced with a Lundgren M7. I can recommend the M7's if you want some good sounding passives, I still haven't tried BKP's but I'd really like to at some point. I've got a custom 8-string with M8's too, and it sounds a lot better than the Rg2228 with the 808's I had some time ago. The 808's were perhaps the most difficult pickups I've had, I really didn't like them at all.

The only problem I've personally got with actives is that the 7-string models are usually used in the bass pickup housing, so you can't just replace them with whatever; you need custom sized pickup rings. I'd like to be able to put whatever into the guitar without any hassle, even if it was just an option.

I hang around in SS.org too BTW. It's a nice place mostly IMO, there are quite a few idiots there, but also some great people.

I still have to add: WTF, 45mm nut on the Horizon? That's crazy :guh:! I thought the Ibanez 48mm nut was uncomfortable since the strings are so close together in the nut, but 45mm? That's the same as on some 6-string guitars, such as the George Lynch Esp sigs. I hope it's a typo or something.