so i did something totally retarded today...

colonel kurtz

Sep 7, 2006
alright, so check this one out...this'll probably go into the basket of all-time stupid moves

my PC ran into some problems last week and totally took a shit on me...no problem - i backed shit up, reformatted and system restored, then re-installed everything

now here's where shit gets stupid

i had backed up the audio and session files for a bunch of my own stuff that i've been working on in cubase. after reinstalling everything, i loaded up cubase and opened my sessions, only to find that the drums and guitars were completely out of sync. after a few minutes of playing around, i noticed that the pitch of the guitars was much lower than what they were originally recorded at - it seemed as though some sort of time-stretch had been applied to EVERY SINGLE DAMN GUITAR TRACK!

mind you, i had just finished DI'ing the tracks for 2 songs that i was going to reamp when my computer ate shit. after twiddling around for a couple of hours and trying to figure out what the hell went wrong, i said fuck it, and decided to re-track the songs. i spent 2 hours early, early, this morning re-tracking one of them until i was good and satisfied, then decided to go sleep for a few hours and come back to do the other.

as soon as i layed down, i thought to myself "did i remember to change the sample rate back to what it was before?"

of course as soon as i got up, i opened the control panel for my converters...and sure enough, the sample rate was @ 44.1, whereas all the previous guitar tracks were @ 48. i switched back to 48, opened up cubase, and BAM! all the tracks that had been fucked up before were just fine...and goddamn, did i feel like a moron.

Ahahahaha, as I was reading your post, I was already planning out my "hey dude, it's ok, you can just check the sample rate!" response...at least you solidified yourself on the riffs!

yea...it's all good really, because i think i'm going to ditch the tracks i have for that song anyways

i just put a duncan blackout into 1 of my guitars, and got all gung-ho about recording some shit with it...but when i was listening back w/ the scratch takes that were taken with the stock duncans in my ESP, they seemed to fit the song better anyways, so i guess i'm going to re-track the whole thing with the other guitar. grrrr.

but still...it definitely wasn't my finest moment

alright, so check this one out...this'll probably go into the basket of all-time stupid moves

my PC ran into some problems last week and totally took a shit on me...no problem - i backed shit up, reformatted and system restored, then re-installed everything

now here's where shit gets stupid

i had backed up the audio and session files for a bunch of my own stuff that i've been working on in cubase. after reinstalling everything, i loaded up cubase and opened my sessions, only to find that the drums and guitars were completely out of sync. after a few minutes of playing around, i noticed that the pitch of the guitars was much lower than what they were originally recorded at - it seemed as though some sort of time-stretch had been applied to EVERY SINGLE DAMN GUITAR TRACK!

mind you, i had just finished DI'ing the tracks for 2 songs that i was going to reamp when my computer ate shit. after twiddling around for a couple of hours and trying to figure out what the hell went wrong, i said fuck it, and decided to re-track the songs. i spent 2 hours early, early, this morning re-tracking one of them until i was good and satisfied, then decided to go sleep for a few hours and come back to do the other.

as soon as i layed down, i thought to myself "did i remember to change the sample rate back to what it was before?"

of course as soon as i got up, i opened the control panel for my converters...and sure enough, the sample rate was @ 44.1, whereas all the previous guitar tracks were @ 48. i switched back to 48, opened up cubase, and BAM! all the tracks that had been fucked up before were just fine...and goddamn, did i feel like a moron.

i did that too.
apogee rosettas default to 48 and i was recording at 44.1
whoooopsy
halfd a days worth of drum takes in the bin

Yeah, happened to me as well. You shouldn't feel too bad about it though, as playing your guitar is always a good thing :)