So I guess I won't be going to ProgPower 7...

once I was NAD said:
i'd rather go to a Mariah Carey concert than a festival like this. to prove i'm serious, i saw her in concert and sold the one and only power metal album i ever owned, all within the same year.
Your opinion can't be taken seriously; you listen to Sunnnnnn {#{${%.

Zod

Honestly, Id probably go if any one of those bands played. Then again, I've never been able to attend progpower before, nor have I seen any of those bands live yet.

MadeInNewJersey said:
so far, so good...
Their chorus' take a little while before they fully get their hooks into your brain. Partially because they're written like a verse, rather than using a repetitive catch phrase. It took me a few listens before I decided I truly love this disc. Lance's vocals, assuming you don't dislike singers with high voices, is fantastic. His range is quite impressive.

Zod

I guess it's why I started that thread over there about the "next wave" of power metal bands. The fact is, the next wave of bands with any real popularity doesn't truly reflect headliner type material which is exactly why ProgPower III was so impressive.

I'm keen to see who Glenn has lined up this year, especially the "odd ball" band(s). Last year, I pretty much went for Orphaned Land alone (both regular set and live acoustic set on two different nights).

Plus Vegas, heh.

That Pyramaze was pretty good, I'll definitely be giving it a few more listens before deciding to purchase or not, but for now, it's comfortably in the 8/10 range. It's NOT better than Gamma Ray's new album, and it's in the ballpark of Helloween's new one (if you removed the disc 2 filler). It crushes the new Freedom Call though (gawd that was bad). It's not even close to as good as Overlorde's album, though. And I haven't heard the past 2 DragonForce albums so I can't compare.

Even so, 30 minutes of Pyramaze opening the festival isn't near-enough for me to fly to Atlanta, so there still needs to be something(s) damned fine for me to make it there.

Dark One said:
JK, if you don't go, do you still pay for your Gold Badges to make sure you and Amman remain on the list?

Not sure. I guess it wouldn't be too bad to relinquish them because I don't care about getting in early anymore. (Neither do I fight my way to the front of the stage or care about getting CD's signed).

I have to see the line up though, as I do each year to decide.

Regardless of how the bands ended up performing, or who the surprise acts turned out to be, when deciding to buy my gold badges the following helped make the decision:

ProgPower 5 = Savatage, Edguy (especially after PPIII), Kamelot, and Into Eternity.

ProgPower 6 = Angra, Orphaned Land (electric), Orphaned Land (acoustic).

ProgPower 4 = baby. :p (But Glenn let sell the gold badges at cost and keep me on the list).

So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing who makes it this year. I've NEVER bought blind, I MUST see the line up. Like Mark said, I just don't have the cashflow to go for beertime, especially since the only people I hang with are the same fuckers who live 30 minutes away from NY. :loco:

Cool. I was mainly curious about how many consider the lineup to be the vital element in the decision and also how important having a GB is to you as well.

I dunno, I guess for me it ends up costing somewhere around $550 for the whole 4 night journey - but I can't say that I ever had anything short of an absolute blast each of the three times I've been there. It's not just about partying with you, Amman, Greg, Paula, Britt, Mark, etc., but the festival organization itself (relaxing pre-party, nice merch area, separate bar area, excellent arena) and the unexpected that always seems to happen (partying all night with Joh Schaffer at PPIII, the amazing Queensryche karaoke girl at PPVI, discovering the live power of Tad Morose, Edguy, Circus Maximus, Brainstorm, Symphorce, etc.).

It's just become a can't miss festival experience for me each year. Even though $550 or more sounds like alot, it's still an inexpensive way to experience the festival atmosphere on an annual basis as opposed to the Wackens, Sweden Rocks & Gods of Metals of the world.

General Zod said:
Their chorus' take a little while before they fully get their hooks into your brain. Partially because they're written like a verse, rather than using a repetitive catch phrase. It took me a few listens before I decided I truly love this disc. Lance's vocals, assuming you don't dislike singers with high voices, is fantastic. His range is quite impressive.

Zod

Spinning this again and loving it more with every listen. The chorus melody in "The Journey" is amazing.

Dark One said:
Cool. I was mainly curious about how many consider the lineup to be the vital element in the decision and also how important having a GB is to you as well.

I dunno, I guess for me it ends up costing somewhere around $550 for the whole 4 night journey - but I can't say that I ever had anything short of an absolute blast each of the three times I've been there. It's not just about partying with you, Amman, Greg, Paula, Britt, Mark, etc., but the festival organization itself (relaxing pre-party, nice merch area, separate bar area, excellent arena) and the unexpected that always seems to happen (partying all night with Joh Schaffer at PPIII, the amazing Queensryche karaoke girl at PPVI, discovering the live power of Tad Morose, Edguy, Circus Maximus, Brainstorm, Symphorce, etc.).

It's just become a can't miss festival experience for me each year. Even though $550 or more sounds like alot, it's still an inexpensive way to experience the festival atmosphere on an annual basis as opposed to the Wackens, Sweden Rocks & Gods of Metals of the world.

Yeah man, totally. I even make a whole event out of it by trying to add Vegas to the itinerary. What better way to catch up with your best buddy once a year than hang in Vegas for a couple of nights?

I still won't buy blind though. :loco:

What if the next line up was:

Pain of Salvation
Madder Mortem
Mindgrinder
Goatsblood
Hammerfall

Haha. And that's just opening night. :loco: