ProgPower Bands at RoyalCarnage.com

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Hello friends and (even foes ;) ), JayKeeley & I recently launched a webzine that we're extremely proud of, and much of our early content are about bands that have played, are (maybe) playing, and could possibly play ProgPower, along with all things metal of course.

So considering the content (which I'll get to in a moment), we requested permission from Glenn to throw a plug/announcement up here in the PP forum, and got the a-ok to do so. Anyway, here's what you'll find:
  • an interview with Jon Schaeffer of Iced Earth, conducted at the Granada Best Western from last year's ProgPower
  • an interview with Jens Ludwig of Edguy, conducted shortly after their smashing performance at last year's festival
  • an interview with Steve Williams of Power Quest, a band that's been discussed quite frequently right here on this forum
  • various album reviews of bands from all over the metal map, and include Opeth, Children of Bodom, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Eidolon, Kamelot, Burzum, Demons & Wizards, Nocturnal Rites and many more. We're adding reviews as often as possible, and NEW reviews of Evergrey, Nightingale, Shaman, Archetype and dozens more are coming very soon, as well as interviews with Alex Staropoli of Rhapsody and Karl Groom of Threshold.
I think many of you will enjoy our writing style, site design & layout, and overall professional quality, and we're ALWAYS open to criticism and feedback from you all. Please stop by our forum if you feel like it, otherwise, we hope to see you around! Thanks, and click the banner in my sig file to see what Royal Carnage is all about. Cheers!

I forgot to mention this before, and now I feel badly, but better late than never.

The Edguy, Iced Earth, Power Quest & Prototype interviews were originally written for and were previously live on the Appropriate Apocalypse webzine for the month of December 2002. We figured that they might still be of interest to fans of prog & power music, so they've been moved. Thanks to AA for making them available.

Thanks to everyone who's had kind things to say, though don't think we're not open to criticism and suggestions!

Feel free to stop by our forum and tell us the bands you want us to cover, interview, review, feature, whatever. RC will accomodate whenever possible. Cheers, and thanks to all for the support!

Mark -

The site is shaping up, but I do have two quick suggestions:

1) Have a link to view all reviews on one page

2) Put the review grade on the link.

Otherwise, it is really coming together.

Steve

DarkOne said:
Mark -

The site is shaping up, but I do have two quick suggestions:

1) Have a link to view all reviews on one page

2) Put the review grade on the link.

Otherwise, it is really coming together.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I have a couple questions/comments for you.

Re: Question #1: I'm curious how you'd prefer this to look? Can you point me to an example? Or are you simply talking about a very long scrolling (top-to-bottom) review page index of all the reviews in alphabetical order?

Re: Question #2: We specifically didn't do this, because it takes away from the actual review and cheapens the site in our opinion. If someone is just coming to see the score we gave it, and doesn't care about the actual reasoning behind it, then what's the point of writing the review in the first place? That's the primary reason we debated putting a 'rating' or 'score' at all.
-mark

Mark

1) Yes, I'm talking about a long scrolling list (or a few columns of one page) of all the bands. This should be in addition to, not instead of, your current format. I just realized that I didn't know what bands were reviewed until I clicked the appropriate letter (For instance, I didn't see the utter lack of Barry Manilow reviews until I clicked on M. Shame on you for that, BTW).

2) I understand your point of not posting the grades up front. However, let's say I am looking for a new band (as I often do, because you can never spend enough money on CDs). I see a list of bands I've never heard of, but I don't know which ones are good, or which ones are bad. A grade up front would allow me to pick put some highly rated ones and read the review to see if it interests me. Also, it is a quick way to see if the general reviews' opinions match up with my opinions (thus making the site worth more to me).

Just suggestions . ..

Steve

No, those are very good suggestions, and make sense to me. I'll pass them on to the team, and see how they go over. Thanks for coming by the site, it's always going to be a work-in-progress...especially as we get more and more labels on board to work with us, and we grow and grow. Cheers.