So I guess I won't be going to ProgPower 7...

General Zod said:
For this audience, they would. When they played last the fest, the place was crazy. Everyone left right after they finished, and Rage ended up playing in front of 300 people.

Zod

As JayK said, that had a lot more to do with Rage IMO. While you may not like Virgin Steele, and I'm sure you don't, they have a giant cult following, and NEVER play the U.S., like, ever. And they're from Long fucking Island. They'd headline, I'm almost certain of it.

MadeInNewJersey said:
As JayK said, that had a lot more to do with Rage IMO.
While that's certainly true, don't discount Evergrey's immense popularity with this very specific group of concert-goers. Three songs into their set, Tom said, "Welcome to our festival", and the place was as loud as I've ever heard it. Aside from the fact that their music appeals to both the Power and the Prog folks, they've shared a beer with almost every person whose ever attended PP, and many people feel a personal connection to the band. If Evergrey went on before Virgin Steele, Virgin Steel would play to significantly less people than if the order was reversed. Uf Evergrey went on last, they play to a full house.

MadeInNewJersey said:
While you may not like Virgin Steele, and I'm sure you don't, they have a giant cult following, and NEVER play the U.S., like, ever. And they're from Long fucking Island. They'd headline, I'm almost certain of it.
I actually like VS. I LOVE Defeis' vocals and would be very into it if they were at PP.

Zod

General Zod said:
While that's certainly true, don't discount Evergrey's immense popularity with this very specific group of concert-goers. Three songs into their set, Tom said, "Welcome to our festival", and the place was as loud as I've ever heard it. Aside from the fact that their music appeals to both the Power and the Prog folks, they've shared a beer with almost every person whose ever attended PP, and many people feel a personal connection to the band. If Evergrey went on before Virgin Steele, Virgin Steel would play to significantly less people than if the order was reversed. Uf Evergrey went on last, they play to a full house.

I actually like VS. I LOVE Defeis' vocals and would be very into it if they were at PP.

Zod

You make a good point about Evergrey's appeal.

And I never would have pegged you as someone who'd enjoy VS, since they share so much in common with Manowar. DeFeis's voice is the 2nd-most underrated in all of metal though, damn straight about that.

IOfTheStorm said:
Its not even about how many fans each band has. Its about how much a band SELLS now.

Worldwide or in the US? I mean, if that were true, it doesn't explain why Angra would ever be a headliner because they've sold zip.

I think that for ProgPower USA, the promoter (Glenn) takes into account band popularity or legacy (which isn't always reflective of album sales). This must be the reason for why Rage headlined.

Most of the times its not up to the guy who organizes the gig. The company/manager decides if "their" band will play somewhere, depending on many factors, one of them is if the band will be a headliner or not.
Even if this Glenn has the upper hand about the order the bands will play, if V.S. and Evergrey were to play together, i would probably want Evergrey to be headliners, in order for V.S. to be heard by a bigger audience (that probably never heard them before).

MadeInNewJersey said:
And I never would have pegged you as someone who'd enjoy VS, since they share so much in common with Manowar.
I saw Manowar at L'amours back in 1985. I think I've seen them four times in all. I use own everything from their debut through "Kings of Metal".

Death to false Metal!:headbang:

MadeInNewJersey said:
DeFeis's voice is the 2nd-most underrated in all of metal though, damn straight about that.
And 1st would be?

Zod

General Zod said:
I saw Manowar at L'amours back in 1985. I think I've seen them four times in all. I use own everything from their debut through "Kings of Metal".

Death to false Metal!:headbang:

And 1st would be?

Zod

Eric Adams, of Manowar. :tickled:

I realize the Manowar devotees would not consider him underrated, but considering the guy is *never* ever mentioned in "great vocalists" conversations, there are few in existence with his pipes and ability to simply nail every note, every time, in perfect tone, pitch & key.

If Bruce Dickinson didn't exist, Eric Adams would be my favorite vocalist ever.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I realize the Manowar devotees would not consider him underrated, but considering the guy is *never* ever mentioned in "great vocalists" conversations, there are few in existence with his pipes and ability to simply nail every note, every time, in perfect tone, pitch & key.
Agreed. Manowar without Adams, would just be a big bowl of silliness. I've always felt his voice, kept that band from spiraling into a total joke.

Now I'm going to go home and crank up "Blood of my Enemies"...

Three sons have I, and they ride, by my side,
The fierce, The black, and The Wicked are their names,
We ride down my enemies, on their half-hearted flight,
No voice of mercy... no evangels of light!

Zod

General Zod said:
Agreed. Manowar without Adams, would just be a big bowl of silliness. I've always felt his voice, kept that band from spiraling into a total joke.

Now I'm going to go home and crank up "Blood of my Enemies"...

Three sons have I, and they ride, by my side,
The fierce, The black, and The Wicked are their names,
We ride down my enemies, on their half-hearted flight,
No voice of mercy... no evangels of light!

Zod

You might just be onto something. Think I'm going to bust out the Manowar albums now too. :headbang:

If Evergrey were invited back, it would be a headline spot over just about anybody unless he landed someone like Helloween, no questions asked and Glenn has never been one to hide his personal biases. If Zod's prospective lineup turned out true (though I agree Isis is a huge longshot, lack of melodic vocals and all), I'd break the bank to attend...