So, I just came back from seeing Rush.....

Wicked Child

DYNO-MITE!
Mar 4, 2003
Vista, CA
Visit site
...and it RULED!!! Easily one of the best concerts i have EVER been to!!! Of course, sitting 4 rows from the stage, in the center didn't hurt either.:) The thing about all this is, I got my tickets just a few hours before the concert. I wasn't going to be going. I wanted to, but i lacked thefinancial requirements of buying a ticket. On the 4th of July, i told my dad in passing, while in the car with Rush playing on the radio, that they're coming to town on the 7th, i really want to go as I love Rush, but can't. Next day, he does a huge net search for tickets and stumbles upong 2 4th row center tickets being sold on Ebay for a starting price of $20! The auction ended just hours before the concert, and the price my dad had to pay ended up being $205, but he did the bidding, he bought them, and since they were e-tickets, they were e-mailed to me in mere minutes. I thanked him 100 times after that. He REALLY didn't have to do it, but he did, and it was so worth it. AMAZING show. The boys still got it. And...I have seen God, and his name is Neil Peart. Greatest. drummer. ever. His drum solo was like a religious experience.

Nice setlist, spanning their whole carreer, me and my friend Kenny had a ball, a chick flirted with me, it was great. Of course, after the show, Kenny gave me $20 and wanted me to get in line to buy two posters, one for him, one for me, while he went to take a piss, but with the loud crowd, my ringing ears and the fact that i don't have the best hearing in the world to begin with, i heard "program", and got him that, and that pissed him off. But whatever, honest mistake.

Great show! If they land near your town, fork over the cash to see them, it's so worth it!!!

Wicked Child said:
And...I have seen God, and his name is Neil Peart.
a) Lemmy is God, lousy heretic! :p
b) Neil Peart kick ass in the drumkit, one of the best drummers ever.

a chick flirted with me
So that's why you like the concert, I bet you didn't even hear the music :devil:

Well I wish I still have a dad to spoil me at that level :erk: , in any case. I'm glad you enjoyed Rush. I would have love to hear them on tour during the "Hemispheres" era, or to go to a concert mostly of old stuff (I especially dislike their last album), but I'm sure is a band really worth to see it live. Good deal WC!
xyxthumbs.gif

P.S. Did you got the chick's phone number?

Cool dad there...reminds me when I was about 12 years old, looking through the tapes in a big shop. I had the new AC/DC (highway to hell) in my hands and dad asked that if I had the money I would buy the tape....Sure I said yes and ended up with my first metal stuff.
Anyway, glad you liked the show, I think Rush is one of those bands that stood the test of time very well, they just keep on making good music!

Yep Rush kick ass big time. And Neil Peart is the man for sure :) They play in a lousy stadium when they come to play in The Netherlands so I will not be seeing them. That place has a very bad sound! I wish they would pick another place to play when they are here!! :yuk:

On the other hand I have seen them 6 times. The first time in 1979 at the Pinkpop festival. One of the best gigs I ever saw! :headbang:
Great that you enjoyed it so much! :wave:

Jean-Pierre said:
Can you tell me what the set list was? I'm going to be in Atlanta and I'll be seeing Rush when I'm down there. :worship:
I can't remember every song they played, or the order, but I'll name the songs i DO remember:

Working Man
Anthem
2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx
Xanadu
The Trees
Spirit Of Radio
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
Subdivisions
Between The Wheels
Mystic Rhythms
Roll The Bones
One Little Victory
Earthshine
Secret Touch
The Seeker(Who cover)
Crossroads(Cream Cover)
Summertime Blues(originally done by Eddie Cochran, but Rush's version is more based on Blue Cheer's cover of the song)
Heart Full Of Soul(Yardbirds cover)

There are at least 30 songs in the setlist, but these are all I can remember. At the top of the show, they played this instrumental medley of a bunch of songs over the years, including one song that got the crowd especially crazy here,"Passage To Bangkok".

And let's forget the huge Neil Peart drum solo!!!!!! Which also includes a tribute to Buddy Rich, which was awesome!!

Hawk said:
Yep Rush kick ass big time. And Neil Peart is the man for sure :) They play in a lousy stadium when they come to play in The Netherlands so I will not be seeing them. That place has a very bad sound! I wish they would pick another place to play when they are here!! :yuk:

On the other hand I have seen them 6 times. The first time in 1979 at the Pinkpop festival. One of the best gigs I ever saw! :headbang:
Great that you enjoyed it so much! :wave:

Still, even with a lousy stadium, I'm surprised that you're not jumping at the chance to see Rush, Hawk (that is, if you're still a fan, I don't know you enough... :Spin: )
My Dutch Buddy Hans told me that the last time they toured Europe and hit the NL was on the "Roll The Bones" tour way back in 1991!
I'll have to see if he's going, though.

Seeya!

Walter_Langkowski said:
Still, even with a lousy stadium, I'm surprised that you're not jumping at the chance to see Rush, Hawk (that is, if you're still a fan, I don't know you enough... :Spin: )
My Dutch Buddy Hans told me that the last time they toured Europe and hit the NL was on the "Roll The Bones" tour way back in 1991!
I'll have to see if he's going, though.

Seeya!
Well, ask Hans if he likes Ahoy. You'll see. And yea I am still a fan. I got the "Live in Rio" DVD and I love it!

But Ahoy sucks :erk:

Walter_Langkowski said:
Damn Hawk, you're quick!!

What's ahoy? The venue? It must be pretty goddamn shitty in order to prevent you from seeing Rush, since it's been that long.

Could you give us a brief description of exactly how bad the place is?

Thanks!
OK Imagine a huge ice rink like construction. 1/3 is reserved for the stage the middle ground were the ice skaters would be is used for *seats* and the rest about 65% is on the audience bences. Now the thing is that the sound goes all around the huge ceiling and starts to resonate. Another thing is that while the sound is loud enough upfront it loses its impact when you are on the outside ring. You can hear people that are sitting next to you talking to each other!!

I have never been in the middle ground [its always sold out very fast] so sitting in the ring is anoying to say the least. After seing them at Ahoy a few times I have sworn *never* to do that to myself again!!

So I boycott the place. And I can't for the life of me understand why they choose to play in that place every time. :err:

Wow, sounds like a real dump!

Sorry about their choice, although it more than likely was a promoter decision than Rush's. Han's has told me that a lot of the European promoters have not had a lot of confidence in Rush's ability to draw enough people to justify a show :err: . He is a musician as well so I trust him on that.

Any idea how many people they can cram into that place?

Thanks!

Wicked Child said:
I can't remember every song they played, or the order, but I'll name the songs i DO remember:

Working Man
Anthem
2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx
Xanadu
The Trees
Spirit Of Radio
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
Subdivisions
Between The Wheels
Mystic Rhythms
Roll The Bones
One Little Victory
Earthshine
Secret Touch
The Seeker(Who cover)
Crossroads(Cream Cover)
Summertime Blues(originally done by Eddie Cochran, but Rush's version is more based on Blue Cheer's cover of the song)
Heart Full Of Soul(Yardbirds cover)

There are at least 30 songs in the setlist, but these are all I can remember. At the top of the show, they played this instrumental medley of a bunch of songs over the years, including one song that got the crowd especially crazy here,"Passage To Bangkok".

And let's forget the huge Neil Peart drum solo!!!!!! Which also includes a tribute to Buddy Rich, which was awesome!!

So I'm guessing the rumours about them playing Caress Of Steel material and 2112 in its entirety were wrong, eh? :erk:

Walter_Langkowski said:
Wow, sounds like a real dump!

Sorry about their choice, although it more than likely was a promoter decision than Rush's. Han's has told me that a lot of the European promoters have not had a lot of confidence in Rush's ability to draw enough people to justify a show :err: . He is a musician as well so I trust him on that.

Any idea how many people they can cram into that place?

Thanks!
Well, the promoters are simply wrong [so whats new?] without any form of promotion they sell out the place any time since the first time they played there in 1980 then with Girlschool as support act.

How many people? I am very bad at guessing numbers. Ask Hans :)

Hawk said:
Well, the promoters are simply wrong [so whats new?] without any form of promotion they sell out the place any time since the first time they played there in 1980 or 81 I am not sure about that but Girlschool was support act.

How many people? I am very bad at guessing numbers. Ask Hans :)

Yeah, promoters are friggin' dumbshits, that's for sure. They have ruined the prospects of more than one show in my time, I can tell you that! :Spin:

Nice chatting with you, and I'll ask my man Hans on the matter!

Seeya!

Walter_Langkowski said:
Yeah, promoters are friggin' dumbshits, that's for sure. They have ruined the prospects of more than one show in my time, I can tell you that! :Spin:

Nice chatting with you, and I'll ask my man Hans on the matter!

Seeya!
I looked it up! 10.000 people capacity!!

Jean-Pierre said:
So I'm guessing the rumours about them playing Caress Of Steel material and 2112 in its entirety were wrong, eh? :erk:
Unfortunately, they were just rumors. Would be great to hear "Bastille Day" , and the whole 2112 epic live, but it was still a great show. Though, i can't remember the whole stlist, so they may have played some songs off of Caress Of Steel. I was actually pleasantly suprised that they dusted off "Between The Wheels" and decided to play it live for the first time in God knows how long. That was awesome. I do wish they played something of off Presto though, like "Show, Don't Tell", "Superconductor" or "The Pass", but you can't have everything.