Back from KIT !!!

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
We're back from another great KIT-weekend, so here's the little review of the weekend ;

We left on Friday morning, and took us about 6 hours to get in Hochhausen, Germany for the hotel. On the way the driver asked of I had the tickets with me.... NOT !!! (okay, I have the excuse something's wrong with my head :lol: ) Luckely we had this cool young guy named Tom with us. His friends had canceled to come along and we took him. He still had the extra tickets from his friends, so we were saved. Now we even had tickets for the pre-show!!

So, off to the pre-show in Dittingheim ! A smaller venue, and after meeting some friends here and there, we enjoyed some of the sunny weather outside (it was the first weekend of hot weather in this part of Europe this year, felt amazing!!)
From the pre-show I only liked Destructor alot, cool thrash/US metal band !! Warrant and Tankard are that typical German Thrash, hard but allways the same stuff over and over. Vocalist from Tankard was very bad too...Germans seemed to like it though, the atmosphere was great !

Saturday is the big day ofcourse...First the hunting on the Metal market offcourse, got the DVD's of last year's KIT festivals, and a ticket for the next KIT (wich is already sold out now !!!)

CAULDRON - Don't really remember...was pretty early and hasn't left an impression on me, so I guess it wasn't the best band around

BULLET - Classic hard-rock...the public reacted pretty good on this one, it's simple party-music, but done okay !!

TWISTED TOWER DIRE - Missed them becouse we went wandering around in the neighbourhood a bit and ended up outside a little restaurant, having a meal and some drinks... Later heard TTD wasn't that special..

DEFENDER - This was the first real good band on Saturday, Defender from Holland play oldschool Heavy Metal and do it good! Need to check out some stuff of these guys soon !!

PILEDRIVER - Biggest disappointment. Fun allover but musically of a VERY low standard, bad drummer, bad timing, very "empty" parts because of the single guitar player etc... The driver is dead !!

DESTRUCTOR - Destructor were better on Friday, but still a class band !!

LETHAL - This was the highlight of this year's KIT. Lethal kicked some serious ass. Complex but still very heavy Metal, great vocals, superb guitars etc... just great !!

SABBAT - Cult band Sabbat was reunited in the original first album line-up. They played a very heavy set and the audience went crazy, some very decent headbanging and moshing allover the place. For me personally it was too long and too much of the same. Vocalist isn't that great and became a bit boring after 30 minutes or so. Still a cool show..

DIAMOND HEAD - Second best band after Lethal this night. The new vocalist is absolutely great, he has this real classic NWOBHM sound ! Everyone sang along loud with all the classics, and the new songs are very very good ! I'm glad I finally saw Diamond Head live. The new singer is a well replacement, he doesn't affect the typical Diamond Head sound at all !!

LÄÄZ ROCKIT - Laaz had the honor of closing the festival, all the last bits of energy were scraped together, and there again was some serious moshing and headbanging. I thought it all sounded a bit messy, not well rehearsed or so, and the vocalist has lost ALOT of power. A good band to close the fest , but I had expected them to be a bit stronger...

All together a very great KIT again. It's not only the music, also the atmosphere, you know, almost EVERYONE here wears a shirt with an oldschool band on them, you see hundreds of jeans jackets full of patches, people from allover the world attend...KIT is THE real gathering for oldschool Metal freaks for sure !!

Pics and stuff will follow, check out this for the time being;

http://www.salonpatricia.be/oldschool/kit.AVI

and another short movieshot on the way back. Driver is Henri, back seet are Hawk and TOMetal. You can catch a glimps of me in the rear mirror :)
http://www.salonpatricia.be/oldschool/kit20072.AVI

a few pics , alot more to come in a few days !!

our driver, Henri (not Hawk, but just as bald!)
kit20071.jpg

The main KIT concert hall (Saturday)
kit20072.jpg

Metal market on Saturday
kit20073.jpg

Nice pics, I thought KIT was an open air festival. None of the bands this year would have picked my interest, but Leatherwolf in November with the original line-up is a MUST SEE.

Glad you guys have a good time, Gert hope your health is improving.

NP: Hawaii - 'Call Of The Wild'

Nice pics, I thought KIT was an open air festival. None of the bands this year would have picked my interest, but Leatherwolf in November with the original line-up is a MUST SEE.

Glad you guys have a good time, Gert hope your health is improving.

Luckely it's indoor allways.. April can still be damn cold in the German mountains !! We were just lucky to have a very warm weekend now...

I can move the left side of my mouth and Cheek abit since Sunday morning , so it's getting better..Metal concerts improve your health, it's proven now! :headbang:

Cool pics! Glad you all had a good time. That pee picture is reminiscent of a few road trips I've taken. Although I was a little more dicrete in my application of fluids to the flora. Looked to be a pretty nice sized show.

This is Germany. You see people pissing on the side of the road all the time!:lol:

KIT always looks like they have a good lineup. I'd love to make it over there for one.

I came back from my first KIT too. Overall I´m quite satisfied with the Festival, specially with Metal Markt, a lot of rare things and with cheap prices, far better than any "Spain is different" shitty festival.

My opinion about the bands is a little different from Carnut´s but however it´s all a matter of tastes.

CAULDRON: I was buying Cd´s and listening far these canadians. Good underground metal but nothing special.

BULLET: I like a lot their debut "Heading for the top", a kind of AC/DC meets Accept from "I´m a rebel" (one of their guitarist could have been in Accept in 1981, looked like Wolf Hoffmann!). They´re quite simple but their songs are catchy for a live experience. Good connection audience-band.

TWISTED TOWER DIRE: In spite they sound similar to Hammerfall I loved "Crest of the martyrs" and "Isle of the hydra". Amazing set list but absolutely disappointing performance. Sound was bad and their new singer has nothing to do with TOny Taylor. Boring!!

DEFENDER: What a crazy singer!!! I wasn´t too familiar with Defender music but I like a lot the way they played their songs but not covers from Metal Church "Metal Church" and Annihilator "Alison hell". Quite good.

PILEDRIVER: I expected nothing and I get a little more. That band´s a joke but I must confess I love any of their tunes like "WItch hunt", "Sex with Satan" and amazing "Metal inquisition". Hilarious image and bad performance but, for me, funny.

DESTRUCTOR: I couldn´t go to warm up show (I was seeing Mercenary in Wurzburg) but I prefered a hundred times Artillery to Destructor. However I love a couple of tunes from "Maximum destruction" ("Overdrive" and "Pounding evil") They played both and it was a good show.

LETHAL: Without Artiillery my favourite band from KIT. A dream come true. However It almost became a nightmare. In the beginning the sound was awful and we couldn´t hear Tom Mallicoat in "Fire in your skin" and "Programmed". Luckily that changed and we could enjoy an overwhelming gig with and amazing singer. Just listening "Obscure the sky", "Pray for me" or "Killing machine" it was a blast. A personal highlight.

SABBAT: And then came Walkyrier and mates. The best sound from this KIT. Martyn perfect on vocalist and an excellent set list (5 from "Hystory..." and 3 from "Dreamwaver"). In my opinion, the best band from the festival.

DIAMOND HEAD: After Lethal and Sabbat seeing again Diamond Head it wasn´t my main option but I enjoyed listening their immortal classic. Nick Tart a very good singer.

LAAZ ROCKIT: Hyperactive! They tried to awake to the audience and I consider they got it after 3 or 4 songs. Since they played "Last breath" until the end with "LEatherface" it was superb and a perfect way to say goodbye to my fisrt experience there.

I tried to convince my friend to buy tickets from KIT9 but he didn´t want and it´s a pity ´cause Leatherwolf are one of my favourite bands and Toxik are amazing too.

I came back from my first KIT too. Overall I´m quite satisfied with the Festival, specially with Metal Markt, a lot of rare things and with cheap prices, far better than any "Spain is different" shitty festival.

Including Metal Mania? I recall have seen roster of many Spanish festivals and they're quite good.

And yes the metal market at KIT had earned a great reputation through the years, sadly I had never been able to atest that :erk:

NP: Beto Vazquez Infinity - 'Tale Of The Black Tower'

Including Metal Mania? I recall have seen roster of many Spanish festivals and they're quite good.

And yes the metal market at KIT had earned a great reputation through the years, sadly I had never been able to atest that :erk:

NP: Beto Vazquez Infinity - 'Tale Of The Black Tower'

Well, roster was OK with great names but not specially for my tastes. I don´t like too much (or seeing so many times live) Stratovarius, Motorhead, Masterplan, Iron Maiden, Nightwish or Barón ROjo. Howver that Festival was a kind of "Inferno (hell) Festival", in the middle of nowhere with 40ºC degree, delays, bad sound for bands like Exodus or Saxon... There were so many complaints about it that next year there wasn´t a proper festival, only a Metalmania session (one day, six bands) After that, festival was relocated to the north and renamed.

It´s more an organization thing. They´re absolutely unprofessional. They confirmed any band that ever inked a contract, puking WC, awful camping zone with a lot of stones,... I could write a book about spanish festivals. Nothing to do with Graspop, Keep It True,...

Well, roster was OK with great names but not specially for my tastes. I don´t like too much (or seeing so many times live) Stratovarius, Motorhead, Masterplan, Iron Maiden, Nightwish or Barón ROjo.

BLASFEMO! :p I never was able to see Nightwish, or Motorhead, or Masterplan (with Lande, and without him either :lol: ), or Iron Maiden (specially in the classic years) or Barón Rojo (classic line-up of course). I don't care about Stratovarius tho :heh:

BTW, do you know if Azrael is still active? Love those guys.

NP: Battleaxe - 'Chopper Attack'

BLASFEMO! :p I never was able to see Nightwish, or Motorhead, or Masterplan (with Lande, and without him either :lol: ), or Iron Maiden (specially in the classic years) or Barón Rojo (classic line-up of course). I don't care about Stratovarius tho :heh:

BTW, do you know if Azrael is still active? Love those guys.

NP: Battleaxe - 'Chopper Attack'

In Spain people only like the "usual" metal bands (hundred times you can see Maiden, Guardian, Motorhead...) not bands that play in festivals like, for instance, KIT.

OFF topic: If you like Azrael, they have reunited but without their singer Manuel Moral. They´re going to release a new album called "Libre" just this week. I hope they return to "Mafia" sound. Once they supported Mercyful Fate the only time danish god played in Madrid. Just waiting to check their new stuff. you can listen samplers here: http://www.azrael.es/descargas.html

OFF topic: If you like Azrael, they have reunited but without their singer Manuel Moral. They´re going to release a new album called "Libre" just this week. I hope they return to "Mafia" sound.http://www.azrael.es/descargas.html

I would like that too and even towards the debut (without the horrible English vocals). Sorry about Manuel I like his voice, but thanks a lot for the info is going already to my wishlist (ole!) :kickass:

NP: Saxon - 'Let Me Feel Your Power'

P.S. Coño!, pero si estoy oyendo los samplers y dan grima :cry: . Parece AOR/melódico, ya están con la misma mierda que le agarró a Avalanch después de "El Angel Caído" :mad:

Hey, carnut, did you ever sit in the back seat of a car with the two Henri's in the front? If so, how did you tell them apart? :D

Looks like you guys had great fun! And very fortunate you overcame the "forgot my tickets" brain fart. KUDOS! You and Hawk are truly blessed.