So I played with Morbid Angel, Kataklysm, Arsis and Marduk

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
Wow, this show was crazy. We had to drive 10 fucking hours to get to stuttgart from kiel. my whole boddy was a mess. we had 2 breaks for like 10 minutes because we lost a lot of time because of a snowstorm and a few traffic jams.

when we arrived we acted like 12 years old. WOW, THIS VENUE IS HUGE!
we were standing in the middle of the hall for 30 minutes. a lot of people ran around us without even noticing us. we asked around and finally we found the tour manager "make it short, I'm busy". we got some kind of stickers for backstage entrance and some infos what to do. we watched morbid angel doing their soundcheck and we had no idea what kind of people these guys are. haha. we had fun, really, you guys know the singers outfit? sorry... but he looked so ridiculous. he looked like a walking condom. I think that was cool in the 80'... I don't get it, sorry for my intolerance. anyway...
_morbida.jpg

we had a very very short line check and then they said "okay, your going to play in 10 minutes". the reason we played at all was nuclear blast. they invited us. we met almost the whole team, very very nice people.

so, we started playing and I think we played really well for the fact that we were totaly nervous and our drummer was playing with two kickdrums the first time.

so we went from the stage totally happy and met one of the heads of nuclear blast for a talk. to be true my feeling is that we're not the band they're looking for. he was talking about sonic syndicate and started to compare us to rage against the machine and what not. he wants a band that sells and we wanna do music we like. that wont combine too well. we don't wanna have moshparts and clean vocals or ballads. we wanna be a smash in the face and not one of those pop-death-metal-wehaveagirlonthemic-band. I think they search for a young band that is easy to adjust into any direction they need and we just wanna do what we're doing. anyway... they liked us anyway and we will stay in contact.

we expected that so this is no reason to be sad at all because it will lead into new directions and I mean... come on.. that was our 14th show. we're playing live for not even a year. we're no one and nuclear blast showed interest and they didn't say we suck. thats a compliment :)it's just that we wont be able to sell 300000 records with the music we're doing but that's not our goal anyway.

funny thing: we were told not to enter the backstage after 8pm anymore. so, when we were still back up there, one of the guitar players of morbid angel came over and asked if were happy with everything and that he enjoyed or show and all that stuff. When I told him "I'm sorry, we have to go now because we're no longer allowed to stay up here" he was like:

"are you going to steal something?" "no"
"are you going to destroy something and dance on the table?" "no"

he went somewhere and two minutes later we got all area access backstage passes for the whole evening. WHOOOHO! :)

Ah yeah... when we had a talk to Marduk we asked them for a picture. Too bad we just had a mobile phone cam. so it was really dark up there and when our guitar player said "hey, it's too damn dark" on of the marduk guys started to grin and said "It's alway dark when Marduk is around... muahaha". REALLY FUNNY GUYS!

Had no chance to talk to kataklysm because they hang out in a seperated backstage room.

This was really one amusing concert. Was like waiting for your birthday when you're a kid. Hope you guys don't think I'm a poser, just wanted to share my experience. :headbang:

ps..

sorry for my english but I think you'll get it. it's late, I'm tired and lazy. good night everybody.

pps.

you may check my band right here:

http://www.myspace.com/vanityruinsmetal

Really cool man, at least you had a good time and it wasn't a shitty night for you! :kickass:

~006

Great story dude, very telling about an up-and-coming band trying to get a slot with the big guys, and BIG props to you for not compromising your music to get signed/make money! :headbang: And your English was perfect :)

thanks for reading guys :) that RATM comparision was actually not to us. More like "you know, what they did back than was awsome!". he was talking about dynamic in the songwriting and on stage. I guess he dislikes bands playing at 200bpm all the time :) anyway, about moving on the stage he was like: "arsis is a band that's moving the people and is really dynamic on stage". we looked out of the window and they were playing at the time. NO ONE was fucking moving at all. not even the band. haha. this guy had really funny arguments.

Well I'm all for good stage presence, but to me that just means really getting into the music and moving around subtly so I can still play decently (unlike, say, the retarded spasming of Dillinger :yuk: )

I love Dillinger's retarded antics.

I hate seeing bands that are good, but suck ass and barely move around. It's called entertainment for a reason. I WANNA BE ENTERTAINED MO FUCKA. Some bands might as well stand there and play their album through the P.A.

Hey, I was your monitor guy that evening :kickass:

You guys did a great job!
I'm sorry we didn't had more time for soundcheck but what can you do ....

Kataklysm ruled that evening and every other band just sucked IMHO (but I can't stand Black Metal anyway and Morbid Angel are way better on CD than live).

And I wish I had not seen David Vincent's stage outfit :heh: :puke:
But he's a cool and relaxed dude. Same as the guys of Kataklysm, Marduk, Arsis and Keep Of Kalessin. But everytime I see dudes with corpse painting I can't stop laughing. :lol:

I don't have a very nice opinion on those Nuclear Blast people who've been there so I better keep my mouth shut.
The tour manager was acting like had PMS or something. Also, I've been told by one of the drum techs that he's actually a nice guy but still, next time I meet him I make him drunk, wait until he passes out and draw a dick on his face.
:saint:

Hey, I was your monitor guy that evening :kickass:

Were you this nice guy with glasses and beard on stage that told me he was using a digital mixer for the first time and had a conversation about what place on stage is LEFT and RIGHT? if so, you did a great job, dude. Usualy I can't hear myself on stage because of the fizz but I really had a good sound for the whole show.

about nuclear blast: I don't know them. It was just one conversation but they acted friendly in front of us. one of them was really cool. he organized some place to sleep at (was a rehearsal room 300m next to the club) and we had some beer, cigarettes and weed and some really cool conversation.

about the soundcheck: who cares. most clubs we play we don't even have a pa. haha. :headbang:

anyway... all of the stuff going on right now is really exciting because we are some stupid kids from countryside that never even imagined to get that far. and we're not far at all.

Were you this nice guy with glasses and beard on stage that told me he was using a digital mixer for the first time and had a conversation about what place on stage is LEFT and RIGHT? if so, you did a great job, dude. Usualy I can't hear myself on stage because of the fizz but I really had a good sound for the whole show.

That was me :heh:
Yeah, first time I had to use a digital mixer for monitors (used digital mixers before but just in the studio).

really funny to meet you here, dude :) thanks for beeing so friendly just from the beginning because everyone else ignored us or was...strange.

iamandy: haha, that's too nice of you. :)

I bet that was Destructhor(the guy with the bandana) who gave you those passes. Really cool guy :)

Good to hear you had a good time though, do you happen to have any videos of the performance? :headbang:

I bet that was Destructhor(the guy with the bandana) who gave you those passes. Really cool guy :)

Good to hear you had a good time though, do you happen to have any videos of the performance? :headbang:

actually it was the tour manager. his name is dave. I think he wasn't really happy about giving us backstage passes but when morbid angel says "vanity ruins get backstage passes" ... they get :heh:

we have no videos of that evening. :(