so I saw Josh Groban last night...

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Even though I have listened to his albums, I really didn't know what to expect. I didn't know if I'd end up thinking that it was too poppish or what. But I was surprised. The quality of musicanship was excellent. I do believe that Josh Groban is one of the best singers of our time. And after hearing certain songs live, I think he has paired up with some quality musicians (e.g. Herbie Hancock) and he has some excellent songs. For me, it isn't all about him though. If the entire set was about him I would have been bored. Because I hate the idea of 'solo' artists, with the musicians getting no real stage. But he had excellent drummers (the two setup, I don't know jack about this, but one guy on 'percussion' using his hands and another guy on the 'drums'), guitar player, bassist, keyboardist, violinist, and cellist. His violinist had a 'solo' moment and she was just jaw dropping incredible to listen to.

I recommend that people check him out the next time they can. Sure as metalheads a few of his songs may be too 'soft' or 'pop' for ya, but when living and absorbing the music and his voice its a great experience, that anybody who cares about music can appreciate. And hell the sound quality of that production just couldn't be beat. Everything crystal clear.

He has a very good voice, but everything I've heard makes me feel like if I move or drop a pin I could throw him off. I'd check it ut anyways just to see what it's like. People can surprise you. I remember being forced to see Earth Wind and Fire when I was a little kid and I was amazed at how they all were just amazing musicians..so I'm glad I went even if it wasn't Def Leppard, Metallica or whatever else was avaliable back then..yea I guess it was a while ago..:(

"Forced" to see Earth, Wind, and Fire? I'd love to see them. Didn't Stryper cover Shining Star at some point? I don't remember liking it but Earth, Wind, and Fire were great.

As for Josh Grobin, about the only thing more annoying than opera is popera.
That and fusion jazz. :puke:

Anyone remember his first appearance before a national audience? It was on Ally MBeal in 2001 (and no, for those of you who rush out to IMDB to confirm, I do not count the Rosie O'Donnel show because only about 4 people ever watched it.) I was shocked at how good this guy could sing--he had little talent as an actor but he was waaaay young at the time.

I would go to one of his shows, if only to get laid--I am sure the ladies get wet at his concerts...

I had a similar pre-show and post-show experience when I went to a Grover Washington Jr. concert not too long before he passed away. I was blown away with the musicianship and had a great time. I, too, thought it was going to be a "poppy" concert.

I saw Al Dimeola in '87 and was shocked on how energetic the audience was. Another great time.

Another pleasant surprise was taking my ex to Riverdance about 10 years ago. Sure they were good dancers, but the musicians were TOP NOTCH! And the female violinist was not only an incredible player, she was beautiful too! ;)

I'm basically addicted to live music (within reason) and can enjoy much more live than I ever would purchase CDs for.

Grelkiller, what a way with words! You had me cracking up with the "wet" comment! :lol:

He has a very good voice, but everything I've heard makes me feel like if I move or drop a pin I could throw him off.

Groban is not my thing, but wife went to the show this past Friday and had a great time. He sang one song while walking through a few sections of the arena with women of all ages screaming at him. The wife said that the solo violinist was excellent and that the orchestra played a Zeppelin song.

Groban is not my thing, but wife went to the show this past Friday and had a great time. He sang one song while walking through a few sections of the arena with women of all ages screaming at him. The wife said that the solo violinist was excellent and that the orchestra played a Zeppelin song.

Thanks! I thought it was Led Zeppelin that the orchestra went into. LZ IV, track 2, track 1 I think (ya know the Fast times at Ridgemont High one ;p). She was playing the vocal melody or the lead... with that part I wasn't sure. He also sings while playing the piano, and did one song using a device that basically multiplies his voice (since he couldn't bring the African group with him hehe), and he also played the drums.