So i would like some help...

Grumble Grumble

We die We all...
Oct 29, 2006
Saginaw,Michigan, USA
Since i started coming to this forum just over a month ago, you guys have REALLY opened my eyes and mind to different music. Ive becomed hooked on bloodbath and Arcturus as 2 prime examples.

But i digress....

My question is... I see a LOT of posting about the band Ulver, and i was wondering what a good starter album is to get by them. The end records has a few of em on sale for christmas right now and im looking to expand my collection of "different" music.

Also any bands, not just straight metal(granted i do loves the metal) but different stuff like agalloch, or arcturus that you guys know of, feel free to inform me.

thanks

That's a tough question, since Ulver's albums are very different.

Their first album Bergtatt is a good starting point, since it's a good metal album.

The second album, Kveldssanger, is not metal but acoustic folk music or something like that. So if you want metal, don't get that one.

The third one, Nattens Madrigal, is a good but very brutal album. Brutal both musically and soundwise, so only get this one if you can handle bad production.

After this they started making electronic music. Of these albums I can only recommend Perdition City, which I personally like. Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell is something I've never cared for, and the rest of them I haven't even heard. Someone else on the forum can probably tell more about these, if you're interested.

I have only heard Svidd Neger, the movie soundtrack, by ulver.
It is very good.. melancholic, accoustic... sort of... a non hard influenced Isis perhaps? so hard to describe :)

anyway, if you like later Ulver, check out Kayo Dot, another one of those awesome bands. (they were "godspeed you black emperor" before i think, yes?)

also I like Aereogramme, in the same vein of music.

and offcourse Isis.
and Khoma.

If you like Arcturus, you could check out Winds and Age of silence. Winds mixes metal, classical and prog. Age of silence is more alike arcturus i think.

alright, here's my scoop:

bergtatt - norwegian metal, some acoustic passages and weird noises with clean vocals and troo grimm ones.

kveldssanger - beautifully made acoustic album, music for the devil i guess... lovely if youre in the mood and in a dark place..

nattens madrigal - piece of shit album trying to be "troo norwegian black metal", i believe it was recorded like that in purpose, i'd stay away from it if i were you, better get some darkthrone....

the blake's book album, cant comment, havetn heard it...

from then on, its up to you, no more metal. great music but no metal. get perdition city, get it now!!!!!!

I have the discography.

I would deffinitely work my way backward with this band. So, start with Blood Inside, then Svidd Neger, and Perdition City. Svidd Neger was basically the soundtrack to the movie, entitled, Svidd Neger. All great albums. Garm has the sexiest voice in music today. After those have been thoroughly listened through and embraced, I would move to William Blake's the Marriage Between Heaven and Hell. I would then move to Kveldssanger. Then, the black metal albums. Ulver is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite band.