so is it wrong of me

chupe666

You may enter up to 25 ch
Apr 11, 2002
Where you live
www.chupetunes.com
to see people at work putting in tons of overtime, working from home, and giving up their personal lives and think to myself "WHY"? our boss just came through and took a couple people to lunch for working overtime on a project, and all i can think is "i wouldn't WANT to go to lunch with our boss, let alone work my ass off to get said free lunch."
this place has an endless supply of work, and they're just now noticing (with me being out a lot lately) that i've got too much work to do and are lessening my load, but they do that with everyone here: pile on projects and expect people to just work to death. and most people just take it, working tons of hours (with no overtime pay since we're salary). i don't get it whatsoever. sure, one in 20 of them will get promoted, but when the percent of people who put in that much effort is so high, what incentive do i have to work harder/longer?
it's not like i WANT to make our big company richer by making other big companies richer. some of the programs we work on essentially reward the kinds of things i hate in society in terms of tactics giant corporations use to stomp out competition.

i think it's time for a resume update.

It is usually like that, or the other way around completly where everybody pretty much does nothing and nobody cares. I did the overtime, got absolutly nothing out of it so I stopped. Besides, the only I get promoted is when I change jobs and that works.

they definitely keep piling on the work here until it crushes you, but I pretty much refuse to work overtime so it's never really affected me too much. working with an assistant this week has been pretty sweet, lemme tell ya.

every time someone quits here, they're not replaced. since i got here 4 years ago (omg that is too long) i've gotten the extra work of 3 other people put on me.

here they just assume once you've got a project past setup period that it takes ZERO hours to control it. they get more projects sold and pile them on the same people and don't hire anyone new. many projects are suffering from it and clients are getting pissed.

I wish I could refuse to work overtime. At the same company I am working for right now, I worked 20 to 30 hours/week of free overtime for 2.5 months. And I got fired. I can only imagine what would happen if I refused to work overtime. I'd probably get promoted.

sheesh..

i spent the afternoon with everyone playing a game of warcraft and drinking beer at work, and any overtime i do i can take back whenever i want (ie work 2 hours late one day, leave 2 hours early when next possible).