so.. i've bought myself a little something...

Canis

Apr 1, 2003
...that little something being an audiophile 2496 card. Now i've got some questions.

I've got an integrated Realtek soundchip... I don't plan on disabling it (it's quite useful for gaming, unlike the 2496, which is made for recording and recording alone), but I fear it might get into conflict with the newly installed audiophile... so far everything is okay, I can switch between soundcards in control panel>sounds and audio devices. i've got the audiophile plugged into my hi-fi (instead of those crappy computer speakers), while the Realtek isn't plugged anywhere. When I select the audiophile, sound plays normally as expected. When I select the realtek, there is no sound, but that's unsurprising, seeing as it's not connected to anything on the line out. Now, it looks like everything works fine, BUT, there are several weird side effects:

firstly, games seem to run slower than usual, no matter which soundcard i choose (games? well, i'm still young :D ).if i select certain device in control panel, computer should use it for everything, now shouldn't it..? i'm not sure if soundcard is the reason for the performance hit, but still...

and secondly, there's something really strange going on with sonar... no matter which sound device i choose in control panel, sonar seems to use audiophile... if i use ASIO mode, the audiophile is the only card it detects, whereas in WDM mode it detects both (audiophile and realtek). not that it's a bad thing, but i find it strange. does sonar detect sound devices all by itself or what?

likewise, i find it strange that with the audiophile i'm unable to record at 88200 hz sample rate (it says on the box that it supports all sample rates UP TO 96khz). 44100, yes, 96000, yes, 88200, no. wtf?

well, i guess it would take someone experienced with hardware to answer those questions, hope there are some on this board...

on a happier note, i find the audiophile most excellent for recording. less noise, better stability and whatnot. very cool, especially for 95 euro.

I've never heard of anyone recording at 88200hz. Either way, don't worry about it, just stick with 44.1 or 96.

I'm not sure what's going on with your games, but they have been known to slow down when there has been driver conflicts in the past. Sounds curious and it's something I'll have to overcome too because I'm planning on having the gaming/recording rig.

You need to disable the internal soundchip while you are using the audiophile, and vica versa. Otherwise you cause conflicts within the system. To be quite honest, you could disable the internal soundcard as I have personally found the audiophile to be a great soundcard when used for gaming (I used one in my desktop gaming rig fora couple of years).

Thanks for the input, guys.

As for disabling the integrated chip... I do that (in control panel>system>device manager). The problem still persists, which makes me think it's not an issue with sound card, I hope so, at least. however, even if i don't disable it, the device manager doesn't detect any conflicts (audiophile properties window>driver/resources tabs). really weird.

Recording in 88200? Well, i don't really plan to do it, but generally, i like seeing my gear function as advertised :D . It should support that sample rate. or so it says in the manual, anyway.

Speaking of that. Would you recommend the delta or the audiophile?

i always thought delta was the name of the product line, which also includes audiophile...??

Whoa, holy shit, I'm lucky I haven't got drums at home :D

Seriously, now, is having a-whole-lot-of-inputs card the only way to properly mic a nice kit? I always thought you could get around with a good mixer....?

Edit: I find 44khz/24bit the nicest option overall. it doesn't eat up ram and HD space as much as 96/24, and I can't hear any difference between the two... Come to think of it, I don't really hear any difference between 16 and 24 bit either... Am I deaf? It seems everyone and their mother recommend recording at least in 24 bits, but I can't see why...

But then, I'm extremely pleased with robust drivers, low noise (despite using crap, and I mean CRAP cables) and the ability to crank the signal more, without clipping. Yay! That's one awesome card.

Awesome. This Creative Audigy 2 piece of shit induces computer noise on both the line in and speaker out. I'm actually hearing a high-range (5-7khz) tone and a heap of weird sounding noise at the moment. I thought it was an earth hum at the start, but it definately isn't that. This is probably the last time I buy consumer end quality products in the audio market :lol:

With the drumkits... the way I see it is sort of as a live mix. If you only have 'stereo in' then you have to bus all the drum mics into a stereo track right there, in real time during tracking and you have to make sure your mix whilst you're recording the drums is near perfect because you simply can't touch em up in any detail when they get in your DAW as 2 tracks.

I think unless you're Phil Collins, the 10 ins is fine and dandy though, hehe.