Digital Performer 4.6 getting started help

Radd

Self Portrait
Jul 19, 2005
NJ
www.soundclick.com
I hope someone hear can help me. My mac meets all the requirements.
I've got an M-audio audiophile 2496 card with its latest driver update installed. All settings are on the audiophile card from Apple's sound manager to M-audio's control panel to Dp's audio setup/configurations.
I'm using a Boss gt-8 via spdif and Headphones from rca outputs of the card.
The guitar signal comes through the spdif's & also monitor mixer selections from the patch bay of the M-audio control panel and through DP.

The problem is I'm not getting any level readings therefore unable to record.
:yell:
I've tried every combination of configurations I could but to no avail.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the reply.
Yes with inputs and outputs set to audiphile along with every other combination of in outs i could try.
The audio monitor shows the record enabled track as highlighted red.
Everything appears set to go but it's not.

I don't have the original discs for the audiophile. I assumed all I needed was the driver from thier site. Don't know if this matters.

Radd said:
Thanks for the reply.
Yes with inputs and outputs set to audiphile along with every other combination of in outs i could try.
The audio monitor shows the record enabled track as highlighted red.
Everything appears set to go but it's not.

I don't have the original discs for the audiophile. I assumed all I needed was the driver from thier site. Don't know if this matters.

you may want to look in the cuemix console, which is the monitoring mixer. make sure the fader for the input you are using is turned up and you should be getting signal. you have to open up cuemix in your applications folder.

Done that as well as uninstall and reinstall. Tried the latter again. Same thing.
Again, I don't know if it matters but I own 4.5 and updated to 4.6 through thier site.

Also the moto audio system always shuts off and switches to midi only. I have to
re-open it all the time.

Radd said:
Done that as well as uninstall and reinstall. Tried the latter again. Same thing.
Again, I don't know if it matters but I own 4.5 and updated to 4.6 through thier site.

Also the moto audio system always shuts off and switches to midi only. I have to
re-open it all the time.
then you either do not have enough ram or you are running too low of a buffer setting. CueMix console is NOT your M-Audio control panel , by the way.

Radd said:

re-open it all the time.

is it a ligit version? mine has never done that. and cue mix console should be in your applications folder. this program controls the monitor mix of dp. if those faders are down on the audio channels you are trying to hear you will have to turn them up no matter what the audio monitor(totally different than cue mix console by the way) is reading. the audio monitor is what is being recorded level wise not what you are monitoring. if it is not a legit copy of dp. you probably do not have cue mix installed as it is a seperate program, but works in conjunction with dp. so if you dont have a legit copy, buy one and if your mac meets the requirements it will run smooth as shit with zero problems and you will have all the necissary programs to make this work. unless it is a problem with the m audio hardware communicating with dp. make sure all the setting are working properly in dp. this will have more to do with it i think because it will just use the hardware but the software will run it i think. you might need to add audio hardware in dp as well, check it out.

James Murphy said:
then you either do not have enough ram or you are running too low of a buffer setting. CueMix console is NOT your M-Audio control panel , by the way.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was confused because cuemix is nowhere to be found. It appears not to be installed. It is a ligit copy however.
Now that I think about it as I'm looking at the box, it says competitive upgrade. What's that? Did I buy just an upgrade to the original which I need for it to run properly??? WTF?

In any case I'm running 768 mb ram, 1 ghz g4 processor, osx 10.4.2, dual drives 60 gb each. Increased buffer...same thing.

no, a competitive upgrade is a full version. CueMix Console should be in your main Applications folder and the icon looks like a set of headphones. MOTU tech support, by the way, is very helpful. call them if you do not see the CueMIx Console icon in your Applications folder.

Make sure you do a complete Easy install.. do not do a Custom Install.

you may simply need more RAM... i've installed 4.5 and upgreaded to 4.6 on 3 G4's and one G5 and i've never had anything like the problems you are having... but 1GB, on my brother's G4 eMac, is the smallest amount of RAM i've had to deal with.

make sure you perform regular maintainance on your G4... run Disk Utiity to Repair Disk Permission a couple times a week as a matter of course and you will almost never have problems of any kind. Disk Utility is in the Utilities folder that is nested inside the Applications folder.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. You guys were great!
It appears however that a call to tech as James suggested is in order hear.
I just hope it goes smoothly and does'nt cost me an arm and a leg.
Wish me luck!

Have'nt called tech yet, closed on weekends but I'm wondering about something else now. I own 4.5. I got a 4.6 update for free from moto's site which seems to be gone now. Could this not be a full version, hence the free part and the missing cuemix and maybe not being ligit after all? Would I need to buy the $150.00 upgrade to 4.6? From what I understand 4.6 is the only Tiger compatible version which is what I have. I just e-mailed tech but thought maybe someone hear could shed some light (or darkness :devil: ) quicker.

JV said:
You have the full version,4.6. CueMix is MOTU hardware specific, ie;828mkII, 2408 mkIII, etc.
true, but it should still be installed i believe... or perhaps that is bundled with the interfaces... mmm.. yeah.. been a while so i forget really.

Thanks JV. This is starting to make sense now. All the firewire and PCI products on the MOTO site basicaly say this:

"the included PCI-424 card features CueMix DSP™, a flexible DSP-driven mixing and monitoring matrix that eliminates the need for an external mixer or patch-bay."

So I've narrowed it down to this now. I either need an external mixer, a moto interface, an RME interface with totalmix or a patch-bay which I know nothing about yet.
I was planning on getting an RME ADI-2 to connect to the audiophile but it does'nt appear to have totalmix. Aw man :bah:

James Murphy said:
Motu interfaces are hight quality and affordable... switch.. you won't be sorry.

Ive got a Motu 2408 and its the most stable soundcard ive ever used. i would highly reccomend using motu aswell.

Also ive been interested about using digital performer for a while, are there any good web sites that have tutorials and how to's for dp?

DanAbela said:
Ive got a Motu 2408 and its the most stable soundcard ive ever used. i would highly reccomend using motu aswell.

Also ive been interested about using digital performer for a while, are there any good web sites that have tutorials and how to's for dp?
the "Getting Started" manual and tutorials that come with DP are great.