Recording problem - digital clipping

Well, when I'm looking my taskmanager, one of the resources that makes the virus control to run in the background is taking about 30% power from the processor, it only tooks it for 1 ms or so, but happens every 3 seconds or something. That sounds something, that could make the random clicking too?

Torniojaws said:
wrong. you have misunderstood this article's meaning. the word "samples" when used in reference to word clock, or digital audio in general, means the sample rate, e.g. 44.1k = 44,100 samples per second. these are the samples that word clock keeps in check, not "triggered samples" (and certainly not soft synths)... those are the domain of Midi.

OK, I just had my IRQs reconfigured in my BIOS and disable any hardware that I am not using e.g floppy drive, parallel port etc.

There's a significant improvement but I have to ultmate test it tomorrow at a friend's place to record some guitar parts.

I'll let you know....

But one thing I noticed is that I freed up lots of IRQs and now the delta is sitting at IRQ 20 instead of IRQ 64.

Wadi said:
OK, I just had my IRQs reconfigured in my BIOS and disable any hardware that I am not using e.g floppy drive, parallel port etc.

There's a significant improvement but I have to ultmate test it tomorrow at a friend's place to record some guitar parts.

I'll let you know....

But one thing I noticed is that I freed up lots of IRQs and now the delta is sitting at IRQ 20 instead of IRQ 64.

News Update: Problem still persist! Now I got lots of work clearing up those audio defects...

I read some manuals for tweaking XP and also more about my motherboard and there is no VIA-chipset, but NVIDIA nForce4, so the problem is not with VIA-chip afterall.

BTW - If someone see anything, that should be changed for better performance on the link I posted earlier about my audio program's setup, please suggest changes altough they would not solve this problem, thanks.

Wadi said:
Oh? Its not? But M-audio is saying otherwise. BTW, I am using the onboard graphics and planned to get a graphic card, so, I'd stay clear of NVIDIA nForce4. Thanks.

You totally lost me now. :rolleyes:

First: How could M-Audio page say anything about my ASUS-motherboard and the chipset the board is using?

Second: And the NVIDIA nForce 4-chipset has got nothing to do with graphiccards, it's the chipset of the ASUS motherboard, not a graphiccard.

Oh my!! LOL.

The very first sight of NVidia always reminds me of graphic cards...(dont ask me why)

Well, M-audio did mention on VIA chipset which I refer to my mobo hehe..

Anyhows, both of us are facing the same problem and hope that this will be resolved for the both of us.

James Murphy said:
Wadi, Lehto i can give you the answer to your problems.... but you won't like it.

Either a total stupidity of the user (s) or we should go for MAC? :loco:

one thing i don't get is. . . is the clipping present in your recordings or it just when you are monitoring or playing back the recording. because i have had that particular problem with my delta 0404, only at loud volumes for some reason. . so i bypassed that by using a power amp into my monitors so the soundcard only has to push out a low level signal, which baffles me still, but i have had smoother sessions since, i must say.:err:

xmidihcx said:
one thing i don't get is. . . is the clipping present in your recordings or it just when you are monitoring or playing back the recording. because i have had that particular problem with my delta 0404, only at loud volumes for some reason. . so i bypassed that by using a power amp into my monitors so the soundcard only has to push out a low level signal, which baffles me still, but i have had smoother sessions since, i must say.:err:

Well, when I playback the recorded tracks, they have the clipping on the same parts on every playback, so they must be on the recording.

ok, in light of this info i would say you clipped the input of a mic pre or D.I. or other input device prior to setting level in your DAW... so will the waveform may not reach "0" you would still find "flat tops" at the locations where you hear the clipping.

Hahaha...no Mac for me please...well, at least not yet..

My problem lie at the recording stage but there are no "flat tops" and I keep my signal input below the clipped stage (I am using DMP3). I have no problem listening to other CDs or mp3s. The problem actually starts when I was forced to upgrade my mobo.

Sorry for a constant update, but now the situation is this:

I've done these:

- Changed the IRQ of the soundcard
- Processor scheduling was set to background services and not Programs.
- Disabled Fast User Switching
- Switched Off Power Schemes
- Switched Off Hibernation
- Marked Do Not Map Through Soundcard-option
- Disabled System Restore (for the drive that stores my recordings)
- Disabled Error Reporting
- Fixed Swap File (Virtual Memory)
- Disabled Internet Synchronise Time
- Disabled Automatic Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Then I shutdown my active virus-scanning, as it was occasitionally taking over 30% of my process-power, maybe every 5-10 second only lasting some ms, but that could do something bad to recording. Shutdown ICQ (not that I'd ever be online when recording, but it still takes a bit memory). Took off few items from Start Up, like Adobe and Office pre-loading.

Now I tried to record in the same session with all the same setup, what lead to bad cracking on the recorded guitar tracks and now the cracking and clipping on the recorded tracks is no longer there. Hope this wasn't just luck, but these actions really did help with this situation.

I think, that I might install second XP to this computer, just for audio-use, I just have to check how to do it.

Thanks all, hopefully I'm not facing this problem again when recording again.