Recording problem - digital clipping

M.Lehto

Jun 25, 2002
Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I got a new computer a while ago and now started to record with it and for some reason, there are some sort of digital clipping on the tracks even when I'm recording with very low levels. There are also some small clicks, when I play just single files with mediaplayer etc. Here are the specs:

M Audio Audiophile 2496

Fujitsu-Siemens
Asus - A8NE-FM
AMD Athlon A64 3500+
1024 Mb
250 Gb
ATI RADEON X550 64/256MB pci-e

Windows XP (service pack 2)

I already changed the PCI-slot for the soundcard as it shared the same IRQ with the ATI and now it's on 17 and ATI on 18. I looked the ASUS-manual and it seems there is some part of VIA (they always makes things worse), didn't see that one coming, but could that be the problem? Few computers earlier I had some VIA-stuff on the motherboard and that made same kind of click, if I remember right, someone had made a program that helpped the situation, can't find it anymore though, as I don't remember the name of it.

Here's the manual of the motherboard if that helps with tips:

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/boards/Motherboards/asus/A8NE-FM/Man_A8NE-FM_uk.pdf

I'm really pissed as I just got this computer for this and now it doesn't seem to work right, any ideas? The soundcard is broken?

sounds like you may be having Word Clock problems... you'll need to make sure the sync source for word clock is set properly. in your case you'll want it to be set to Internal.

James Murphy said:
sounds like you may be having Word Clock problems... you'll need to make sure the sync source for word clock is set properly. in your case you'll want it to be set to Internal.

After using Google with this term, that seems to be the case, but.

When checking M Audio Delta Control Panel:

-Master Clock is set to be Internal Xtal. Other option would be S/PDIF in
-Codec Smaple Rate is 44100 (rate locked and reset rate when idle are not marked)
-Multitrack Driver Devices is Single and In-Sync
-DMA Buffer-size is 512
-Asio option: Disable audio app use of Monitor Mixer and Patchbay/Router is checked

for sync to be good and to have no clicks (timing problems) every digital audio device in your system must be set to receive word-clock (sync) from the same source. so, if your m-audio i/o is set to Internal, then you are using it as the master and all other devices must sync to it as their source. you should do this by choosing whatever input the m-audio card is connected to other devices via in that device's control panel. so, for example.. if you connect the Maudio card to a finalizer with s/pdiff and you want the Maudio to be the master then you set the Maudio to "Internal" and you set the finalizer to receive clock via s/pdiff. this will insure sycn and no clicks. if you set both devices to "internal" then you will have timing problems... the sync will be no good... and you will get clicks.

Thanks a lot from that information in the future-wise, but at this point the setup looks like this:

Mic -> Mixer -> M Audio -> Any recording software = clicking, so there are no more hardware there at this point. I'm also concerned, that a playpack of a normal file, like mp3 played with MediaPlayer also causes small clicks to be heard, so the problem is not only with the recording.

Of late I am experiencing this problem too with my delta 66. And yes a VIA chipset motherboard ( a new one that is). Its driving me crazy and I actually thought that my card is broken. But I have no problem in playing mp3s though. The problem arises when I am recording or playing back audio files in Cubase.

In Cubase, if I can remember correctly there's this sync setup thing. I wonder if that is the cause. I'll try that out later.

It could be sync, or it could just be your drivers are set with too low a buffer and are dropping samples. I think I'm using the correct words there, haha... Basically, try using a higher latency setting in Cubase, or ideally set your drivers to the ASIO drivers that came with the card. You shouldn't have issues doing 5ms or even less if I can do it with my shitty SoundBlaster Audigy.

If there are clicks in playback of files in Media Player as well as during recording then you need to increase your buffer size. Set it to the highest it will go and then work down and set it to the lowest setting before the clicks appear.

Well.... i also have the problem with the playback of any file having clicks... and i found out the problem... it was my my modem/router. When it was turned on i could hear clicks in the audio when i turned it off it was ok.
I never found out why this happens i just turn it off when i need to record or listen to something without clicks...

VIA chipsets are infamous for not being able to work with a wide variety of sound cards (most famously SB Live).

Another thing is that if you're running a single core/non-hyperthreaded CPU (ie. anything other than newer Pentium 4/D and dual core Athlon 64 X2 / Opteron), you will get clicks, pops and other errors when you are using a program that takes a heavy toll on the hard drive, or is constantly writing/reading from it. Such as p2p-programs that are uploading/downloading, and also virus scanning and such. This will happen regardless of your IDE settings (DMA / PIO).

This is a very known problem especially with M-Audio, but it's also often spotted on other manufacturers too. Just for some reason, M-Audio seems to suffer from it most.

Oh and also, you will get the same clicks & pops when just listening to music/sound on any program (Winamp, Sound Forge, Goldwave, whatever), regardless of your latencies.

Torniojaws said:
VIA chipsets are infamous for not being able to work with a wide variety of sound cards (most famously SB Live).

Another thing is that if you're running a single core/non-hyperthreaded CPU (ie. anything other than newer Pentium 4/D and dual core Athlon 64 X2 / Opteron), you will get clicks, pops and other errors when you are using a program that takes a heavy toll on the hard drive, or is constantly writing/reading from it. Such as p2p-programs that are uploading/downloading, and also virus scanning and such. This will happen regardless of your IDE settings (DMA / PIO).

This is a very known problem especially with M-Audio, but it's also often spotted on other manufacturers too. Just for some reason, M-Audio seems to suffer from it most.

Oh and also, you will get the same clicks & pops when just listening to music/sound on any program (Winamp, Sound Forge, Goldwave, whatever), regardless of your latencies.

Another reason I love my Mac.

Torniojaws said:

Suuret kiitokset,

I'm not 100% sure, that this motherboard has VIA on it, there is some part, that says VIA, but that seems to be some circuit releated to network, not the chipset itself, I'm not sure though.

I must try record something without the virus-scanning on, might even change to a new brand concerning the soundcard, but I should get something to test before buying it, if that doesn't help either.

Thanks to all, you've been a big help, altough the issue still remains.

I believe I am having the same problem, but I'm not using a very complex setup...so I dunno. I still don't grasp the concept of word clocking, but I'm sure I'll pick it up here eventually.

I just did this really quick to give you an idea how it sounds when I record. This is after applying L2 and C4 (Andy's settings, even) to the tracks.

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3AVETDC5P3VN935IFYBA7I7UPH

Don't mind the playing/fuckups, since the way I have it setup right now was to where I couldn't hear my playing while listening through headphones...so I couldn't hear what I was doing. It's just a scratch track anyways...

basic setup is as follows:

Ibanez RG w/ Emg 81 pup--->Triaxis/2:90-->Carvin Legacy cab (v30's)-->SM57--> Sound Tech 16 ch. board-->M-Audio Delta 66--> Sony Vegas (for simultaneous multi tracking). Andy's C4 settings were used on individual track busses (2 tracks each for both sides...100% and 80% panning). L2 & C4 (Multi Opto Mastering preset, just to add some taste) on the master buss to add some punch.

I notice I am having a hell of a lot more buzz on my speakers when I bypass the C4 on the master buss...but it's still buzzy regardless. I can't really tell if it's just my pc speakers...since I'm not equipped with studio monitors yet. For all I know, it sounds blisteringly good...but it sounds like shit on my comp. Doesn't sound as bad through headphones, but you know...

tell me what you all think....don't pull any punches either, if it sucks, just say flat out.

I must try record something without the virus-scanning on
Having a virus scanning program in the background shouldn't affect it, don't turn it off. It's only that when the scan is going, when it's scanning the entire system for viruses.
I believe I am having the same problem, but I'm not using a very complex setup...so I dunno. I still don't grasp the concept of word clocking, but I'm sure I'll pick it up here eventually.
To put Word Clock simply, it's a way for all hardware pieces to keep the same tempo = all effects start when they should, all samples are triggered when they should, all programmed synths play in sync to the song.

Here's a little more:
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/document.2000-01-03.7593894628/view

Torniojaws said:
To put Word Clock simply, it's a way for all hardware pieces to keep the same tempo = all effects start when they should, all samples are triggered when they should, all programmed synths play in sync to the song.
that would Midi or Midi Clock that you are describing... Word Clock is a different animal. it has nothing to do with programmed synths or triggering samples. word clock is a "handshaking" protocol that is used in the synchronization of the timing of digital audio data words.