So Motorhead won a Grammy...

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
...should I'll be happy about it?

Let's try to keep this discussion neat (or use the ignore button).

I despise the Grammy, to me they represent all that is wrong, rotten and despicable about music business and pop music in general.
Years a go I was mad that never a real metal band was nominated, or that they lose against unnamable crap.

Now that finally a well recognized band, with their place already carved in the stone of metal history won a Grammy, I feel like finally a real metal band, but... Do we need this? Metal doesn't need this, Motorhead surely doesn't need this. They are so big and important than a Grammy is like a speck in their career IMO. So is this a victory or a curse in disguise?

What makes me shiver is that what's next? Hip-hop versions of Motorhead? Britney singing with Lemmy? Teenage girls in pink asking for 'Overkill' on a disco?
Sorry to be such a pesimist, but I want to remember Motorhead for giving me 'The Hammer' not because of an award that MC Hammer also got.

More thoughts?

haha Wyvern u silly.. anyways what category did they win? i didnt really watch it. i skimmed it from time to time that night.. as for them winning.. im glad they did.. becasue then the world can see what real metal is and not the crap they usually nominate and award to.. besides Motorhead is one band the deserves it for being around as long as they have... one grammy award wont hurt them.. was it for their album Inferno? ....

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
haha Wyvern u silly.. anyways what category did they win? i didnt really watch it. i skimmed it from time to time that night.. as for them winning.. im glad they did.. becasue then the world can see what real metal is and not the crap they usually nominate and award to.. besides Motorhead is one band the deserves it for being around as long as they have... one grammy award wont hurt them.. was it for their album Inferno? ....

I'm not silly, I'm sagitarius :loco:

They won for the metallica cover of 'Whiplash'. That's another thing that pisses me off. They weren't nominated for their great original music but for some cover.

More and more I know that I'm into metal not only because is the greatest music around, but also because the alternative of being into Grammy/MTV/Rolling Stone type of music makes me :ill:
e018.gif

Let them have it. They might earn more new fans with this kind of grammy awards publicity. Metal should be more recognised. Motörhead.

I'm not a fan and I think they are not very metal but they deserve more respect...

Lemmy is a ugly mother fucker.

It's really about time they got one of those.

I more or less agree with you about the whole mainstream industry, Wyvern, but there's one thing I KNOW, and that's that Motorhead will ALWAYS stay true, and some little award won't change that!

Oh, and there are already dance versions of Motorhead songs, and I see non-fans wearing "Motorhead England" shirts all the time, so that's nothing new.

Basically as long as my boys STAY true to the ideal that is Motorhead :worship: , I couldn't care less about any of that shit, anyway!

It is unfortunate that they won for a cover song istead of one of the brilliant tunes on Inferno, but whatcha gonna do?

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

god_king said:
I think they are not very metal

Ignore button ON (there's a 1st time for everything :loco: )

As for Motorhead we're pretty save I think, impossible they ever will wimp out, no way !!! Those grammy guys are just picking in on the renewed interest for (real) metal music I think. Haha, I just want to see the jury that decided about this price, mister and misses Grammy :D

I doubt Janet.. but with Metallica i can see it.. Lars had always been a huge Motorhead fan and I saw pics of Metallica meeting Lemmy/Motorhead back in the early to mid 80's so there is a connection established years ago.. but that sux that motorhead won for a cover and a metallica cover of all things.. thats probably why they won.. if they did a cover of another metal band they probably wouldnt of won.... but they deserve it nonetheless.....

Well, they couldn't give Metallica a Grammy this year, so the best they could come up with was a Grammy for a Metallica cover. The Grammys are so lame. Maybe now we'll finally get to hear Clay Aiken do a cover of "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me"...

wdiv said:
Maybe now we'll finally get to hear Clay Aiken do a cover of "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me"...

Don't know who that fella Aiken is, but something in your post "tone" makes my spine shiver :ill: Morever considering I really like that song, "Bastards" is one of their best albums.

Regardless the reason for the Grammy or what song it was for, I'm very happy for them.

Well, I'm pretty much with Wyvern when it comes to the Grammys. They are nothing more than a dog and pony show for the big record companies to showcase their top recording artists. I give them about as much attention as I give a gnat; if I give them any attention at all, it's only to swat at them.

That said, I have no problem with Motorhead winning a Grammy. It's good for metal in general having some kind of representation to the masses. The only thing that reeks to me is that under the surface this appears to be just another push for Metallica, the metal darlings of Atlantic Records. :puke:

Wyvern said:
Don't know who that fella Aiken is, but something in your post "tone" makes my spine shiver :ill: Morever considering I really like that song, "Bastards" is one of their best albums.

Bastards is a great album, but you gotta admit that song is a bit creepy. And Clay Aiken... just think talentless gay pop star that you would expect to see at the Grammys.

wdiv said:
Bastards is a great album, but you gotta admit that song is a bit creepy. And Clay Aiken... just think talentless gay pop star that you would expect to see at the Grammys.

Is the creepiness and the social issue what got me form that song. Also the sadness in 'Lost In The Ozone' and even the innuendos in 'Death Or Glory'. Lemmy is a very clever lyricist IMO.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I doubt Janet.. but with Metallica i can see it.. Lars had always been a huge Motorhead fan and I saw pics of Metallica meeting Lemmy/Motorhead back in the early to mid 80's so there is a connection established years ago.. but that sux that motorhead won for a cover and a metallica cover of all things.. thats probably why they won.. if they did a cover of another metal band they probably wouldnt of won.... but they deserve it nonetheless.....

Hetfield is a HUGE Motorhead fan - and Metallica did a bunch of Motorhead covers on Garage Inc. as a tribute to Lemmy and shit, so there's a big link and mutual respect between the two. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Metallica - they have given a lot of bands a shitload of notoriety and press by doing covers of their tunes...thus turning people on to their other shit.

I am happy as hell they won a Grammy - they've earned it and are a very important band as far as what got metal to where it is now.

JB

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Well, I'm pretty much with Wyvern when it comes to the Grammys. They are nothing more than a dog and pony show for the big record companies to showcase their top recording artists. I give them about as much attention as I give a gnat; if I give them any attention at all, it's only to swat at them.

That said, I have no problem with Motorhead winning a Grammy. It's good for metal in general having some kind of representation to the masses. The only thing that reeks to me is that under the surface this appears to be just another push for Metallica, the metal darlings of Atlantic Records. :puke:

I thought they were on Elektra records? ... :erk: :ill:

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Elektra is a division of Atlantic.

And Megaforce was the original label which is also a division of Island/Atlantic.