So Motorhead won a Grammy...

The Grammy's represent absolutely nothing about music. It's simply business and pop culture, which is a business. Anyone who thinks this means something good would do well to look at the other "metal" nominees.

Anyway, I'm not even a Motorhead fan. There were so many other amazing metal releases that came out last year I wouldn't even consider Motorhead for recognition. But like I said, I don't know Motorhead.

Come on guys, it's LEMMY we're talking about! I don't think just because he's won a grammy that he's gonna stand in line to meet Usher and offer to blow him or Pharrell Williams so that they'll help him write another "hit"! Geez! They deserve the win whether it's a cover or not...the point is that it is freakin' A MOTORHEAD and not Jethro Tull...when's the last time you heard anybody even utter the word, "MOTORHEAD" on prime time network tv??? It's a great day for metal/hard rock and Lemmy will probably go right back to his favorite tittie bar and do what he has always done best...whatever the fuck he wants to. Again, it's LEMMY!

tedvanfrehley said:
when's the last time you heard anybody even utter the word, "MOTORHEAD" on prime time network tv???

That's my point TVF. You really found it cool to have a sacred cow in the Grammy and prime time TV?

I don't like the kind of regular idiots who attend the Grammy and made that MTV music mix with Lemmy. To me is polluting the essence that Motorhead has been for over 25 years.
Real metal doesn't need Grammy, MTV, Rolling Stone or radio. Just noble fans who buy the records and attend the concerts.

My $0.01 closure thought

Good point, Wyvern. You are correct. Metal and Motorhead do NOT need a grammy and it is in a sense pollutive of the genre. But on the other hand, it is a GREAT kick in the pants to all the people in the music industry that think that all they have to do is keep putting out cookie cutter Nu Metal to sell records. Maybe MOTORHEAD's win will show the powers that be that there are still artists out there who can keep a legitimate fanbase for years and years and keep putting out great albums...they're not "here today gone tomorrow" like a bunch of the rest of 'em. Maybe it would influence record companies to start allowing bands to "grow" again and to start signing great bands instead of one hit wonders.

tedvanfrehley said:
But on the other hand, it is a GREAT kick in the pants to all the people in the music industry that think that all they have to do is keep putting out cookie cutter Nu Metal to sell records.

Point taken and accepted ;)

Wyvern said:
...should I'll be happy about it?

Let's try to keep this discussion neat (or use the ignore button).

I despise the Grammy, to me they represent all that is wrong, rotten and despicable about music business and pop music in general.
Years a go I was mad that never a real metal band was nominated, or that they lose against unnamable crap.

Now that finally a well recognized band, with their place already carved in the stone of metal history won a Grammy, I feel like finally a real metal band, but... Do we need this? Metal doesn't need this, Motorhead surely doesn't need this. They are so big and important than a Grammy is like a speck in their career IMO. So is this a victory or a curse in disguise?

What makes me shiver is that what's next? Hip-hop versions of Motorhead? Britney singing with Lemmy? Teenage girls in pink asking for 'Overkill' on a disco?
Sorry to be such a pesimist, but I want to remember Motorhead for giving me 'The Hammer' not because of an award that MC Hammer also got.

More thoughts?

Totally meaningless. The people who choose the nominees probably didn't even know who motorhead was. They probably thought, "ooooh, this is one of those trendy new garage bands like the white stripes or Jet. I saw the guy from Jimmy Eat World wearing one of their shirts, so they must be popular with the kids!"

corpseripper said:
Totally meaningless. The people who choose the nominees probably didn't even know who motorhead was. They probably thought, "ooooh, this is one of those trendy new garage bands like the white stripes or Jet. I saw the guy from Jimmy Eat World wearing one of their shirts, so they must be popular with the kids!"

I disagree. I think they chose the song because it was a cover of a Metallica song. The Grammys and mainstream critics worship just about everything bearing the Metallica name. After all, Some Kind Of Monster was also nominated for a Grammy, despite the majority of fans I've talked to hating it.

perhaps they worship metallica because of the napster thing.

I might be wrong, but every good band that has gone mainstream has not stayed true in the past.

check out slayer for instance, they were nominated for a grammy, they play for nugothic people now and that new reigning blood dvd, wow, way to destroy a classic slaaayer, the metal ambience was nowhere. I am not even anticipating their new album.