So much for a new Anthrax record this Year

danaholica

Danazig
Sep 3, 2009
MOUNT. DOOM Mass.
ANTHRAX was supposed to release its new album, tentatively titled "Worship Music", last October. However, the set has been delayed indefinitely following the departure of singer Dan Nelson in July 2009 and the return of John Bush, who fronted the band between 1992 and 2005. Guitarist Scott Ian spoke to VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner about the record's current status. "It's all up in the air," Ian said. "We're kind of in a standby mode right now. John is committed to touring, we're going to Australia to next week for two weeks and we've got all the Sonisphere [European festival appearances] in the summer, but it's just kind of been like baby steps as far as moving forward creatively and working on this album again."

One issue with the effort is that it was recorded with Nelson, who is believed to have contributed vocal melodies and lyrics to the LP. Now that John Bush is fronting the band again, what does that mean for the album?

"It wouldn't be a case at this point of John just coming in and re-singing the record," Ian explained. "That's not going to happen. If John sings on this album, then we're going to go back in and re-write because John Bush would then be committing to it and we would go back in and re-write stuff the way we did just like 'Sound of White Noise' [1993] or 'Stomp 442' [1995] or 'We've Come For You All' [2003]. That's how it would have to be, so we're just kind of in a standby mode waiting to see how John feels about it and what he wants to do. Maybe after these Australia dates we'll have a better idea on what we're going to do with that."

ANTHRAX kick off the Australia dates on February 20 in Melbourne.

ANTHRAX was supposed to release its new album, tentatively titled "Worship Music", last October. However, the set has been delayed indefinitely following the departure of singer Dan Nelson in July 2009 and the return of John Bush, who fronted the band between 1992 and 2005. Guitarist Scott Ian spoke to VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner about the record's current status. "It's all up in the air," Ian said. "We're kind of in a standby mode right now. John is committed to touring, we're going to Australia to next week for two weeks and we've got all the Sonisphere [European festival appearances] in the summer, but it's just kind of been like baby steps as far as moving forward creatively and working on this album again."

One issue with the effort is that it was recorded with Nelson, who is believed to have contributed vocal melodies and lyrics to the LP. Now that John Bush is fronting the band again, what does that mean for the album?

"It wouldn't be a case at this point of John just coming in and re-singing the record," Ian explained. "That's not going to happen. If John sings on this album, then we're going to go back in and re-write because John Bush would then be committing to it and we would go back in and re-write stuff the way we did just like 'Sound of White Noise' [1993] or 'Stomp 442' [1995] or 'We've Come For You All' [2003]. That's how it would have to be, so we're just kind of in a standby mode waiting to see how John feels about it and what he wants to do. Maybe after these Australia dates we'll have a better idea on what we're going to do with that."

ANTHRAX kick off the Australia dates on February 20 in Melbourne.

John has 'em by the cojones, and I guess we will see what happens. Go Bush!

Oh well, looks like I can save another $ 30 in 2010 : ) Another remaster of a Joey era album on the way I wonder ???

Im down with the news, think its absolutely the only way to go forward. Just exactly what I figured we would be hearing at this crossroad when the rumblings started. Waiting to see what John wants/needs is a huge step toward making things right from what went down with the Reunion. They know they owe him and there is no other way to go forward. If the band can wait on John so can we. Fuck man I would wait another two years for a new original record with John on vox.

If I read/hear the word "babysteps" one more time, I think I might just go and throw up. The bucket's on standby.

Hopefully some progress will be made on the new album between these Australia shows starting next week and Sonisphere in a few months time.

I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure.

But what Scott said could mean a bunch of different things. Re-writing things with John might not mean the band writing all new songs from the ground up - it could simply mean re-writing all of the lyrics and vocal melodies. The riffs and song structures that are already recorded and mixed still might be something they'll keep. Surely Dan Nelson did not write the guitar riffs.

All I know is, I hope that main riff to "Vampires" doesn't disappear, if and when we do get a new record!

I'm sure at least half of Worship will be incorporated into the next record. Sounds to me like they want to jam and reconnect. I'm not so sure it will be called Worship. I think the title will change

I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure.

But what Scott said could mean a bunch of different things. Re-writing things with John might not mean the band writing all new songs from the ground up - it could simply mean re-writing all of the lyrics and vocal melodies. The riffs and song structures that are already recorded and mixed still might be something they'll keep. Surely Dan Nelson did not write the guitar riffs.

All I know is, I hope that main riff to "Vampires" doesn't disappear, if and when we do get a new record!

Scott also said they have lots of work to do, so that means don't expect an album any time soon.

....ANTHRAX kick off the Australia dates on February 20 in Melbourne.....

That's all I read and cared about right now. Bring on Soundwave. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Yeah ... agreed .... except it kicks off in Brisbane. Not Melbourne.
Should be killer to see Anthrax play a festival of this size in Oz.:headbang:

Funny...I've been away from this Message Board for a couple of days...and this morning when I saw walking the dogs...I had these same thoughts as you guys...:)
"Why there are no tweets about rehearsals for tour?", "Are they writing?" , "What's John's contribution?"..."When new album will be available?" and "Why Ian and Rob have that side project right now when they are supposed to concentrate on Anthtrax 100%?" etc...

I suppose Anthrax have to have something new to offer during these Australian dates and during the Sonisphere run the latest... or they will lose the momentum ...once again.
Side projects, Starbucks and poker seems to be ruling their world...and as a fan...that saddens me.

T:)

Soundwave: Guys let’s talk ‘Worship Music’… Take us through the writing process for the album, what different factors surrounded the process this time around?

Scott Ian: We wrote most of the record before we even had a singer, which was different. Although it was similar to how we wrote ‘Spreading the Disease’.

Soundwave: With John Bush currently back fronting the band for various festival appearances, is it safe to finally say that John is back for good and will be laying down the vocals for ‘Worship Music’!

Charlie Benante: I am hoping we can release a part of this record soon... I do want to write some new tunes; some of the tunes bring up some bad feelings for me.

Soundwave: Scott, Anthrax fans around the world are dying to know… will ‘Worship Music’ be hitting the shelves anytime soon?

Scott Ian: Honestly… no idea. We've got a lot of work to do.

I hope we can release part of this record soon....are we talking E.P.?

I hope they record all the shows they do downunder and release them as (double) live CD...new stuff would be a good bonus...

T:)