So THAT's why Norway didn't appear on the band's tourdates

Excellent gig! Ihsahn played for approx 40 mins and played these songs (random order): Emancipation, Scarab, Unhealer (w/out Åkerfeldt though), Misanthrope, possibly a new one, Called By The Fire and lastly... THUS SPAKE THE NIGHTSPIRIT!!! Three guesses which song got the best reception :lol:

Ihsahn had 5 other players with him (2 guitars, 1 bass, 1drummer and 1 keyboardplayer). Mickelson and Norberg on drums and bass obviously, the remaining 3 I didn't recognize (stood too far away and too many beers :kickass:)

Opeth did the same setlist that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Funny Åkerfeldt quotes:

-Before playing Godhead's Lament:
"This one is from an album we did 10 years ago called Still Life. It's quite an obscure song. But then again, all of our songs are." :lol:
-And in the band introduction, introducing Per Wiberg: "This guy has been in Norway many times (crowd roar). Playing blues-rock for grumpy old men."
-Introducing himself: "I am LaDetSwinge Åkerfeldt." (La Det Swinge is one of two songs that Norway has won the Eurovision Song Contest with o_O)

Oh, and Deliverance brought the fucking house down. Period. Actually when I think of it, Deliverance was the only song that they
also played both at Rockefeller in 2005 and Rockefeller last night. So they've done big setlist changes (which is good, of course)
Åkerfeldt and co. played for 1h 50 min.

Opeth setlist, Oslo Rockefeller March 10th 2009.

Look away if you wish to remain unspoiled for the seven remaining concerts:

01 - Heir Apparent
02 - Ghost of Perdition
03 - Godhead's Lament
04 - The Leper Affinity
05 - Credence
06 - Hessian Peel
07 - Closure
08 - The Night and the Silent Water
09 - The Lotus Eater
------
10 - Deliverance

Just got back from the gig in Trondheim. Same setlist as Oslo and Ørebro:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
The Night And the Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
-------------------
Deliverance

A fucking awesome show. The only bad thing about the show was all the metalcore scene kid assholes.

Ihsahn had 5 other players with him (2 guitars, 1 bass, 1drummer and 1 keyboardplayer). Mickelson and Norberg on drums and bass obviously, the remaining 3 I didn't recognize (stood too far away and too many beers :kickass:).

Sorry, but that wasn't Mickelson, it was an 18-years old student from the music school where Ihsahn works as a teacher. Actually the rest of the band, apart from the bass player whom he hadn't met in person before yesterday, were all students if I understood him correctly. I was blown away by how well his complex arrangements translated to the stage without using any booring back tracks. Met Ihsahn backstage after the show too, very nice and down to earth guy, must be awesome to have him as your guitar teacher. :worship:

Opeth was clearly better now than back in december when they all were sick and tired after a long tour. One of the best Opeth gigs I've been to (and it was um.. my 13th or 14th I think?) and the audience was much louder than in Stockholm.

GREAT night, loved the venue too, I'm soooo happy that we went to Oslo instead of Malmö :D

I'll try to get my photos online during thursday.

Sorry, but that wasn't Mickelson, it was an 18-years old student from the music school where Ihsahn works as a teacher. Actually the rest of the band, apart from the bass player whom he hadn't met in person before yesterday, were all students if I understood him correctly. I was blown away by how well his complex arrangements translated to the stage without using any booring back tracks. Met Ihsahn backstage after the show too, very nice and down to earth guy, must be awesome to have him as your guitar teacher. :worship:

Opeth was clearly better now than back in december when they all were sick and tired after a long tour. One of the best Opeth gigs I've been to (and it was um.. my 13th or 14th I think?) and the audience was much louder than in Stockholm.

GREAT night, loved the venue too, I'm soooo happy that we went to Oslo instead of Malmö :D

I'll try to get my photos online during thursday.

Ok, thanks for the info. All the more impressing that a bunch of students were able to make out such an impressing backing-band. Amazingly tight, but I guess they've had enough time to rehearse and fine-tune the details of the arrangements. A very worthy debut-concert, indeed.

Sure was two great shows! I really loved Ihsahn´s set, it was pleasent surprise, great opener!
And for those of you who haven´t checked out Leprous, give their myspace a chance, it´s great.
Can´t wait for saturday for my 3rd concert with Opeth this week, if they do Deliverance again
I will fuckin´break my neck at that ending-part :headbang:
Highlights of the shows so far: Night and The Silent Water & Deliverance, and
the jam-part of Closure was also cool both nights.

Seemed like the band was feeling a bit more comfortable on stage in Trondheim,
but I´m not gonna say they did a bad job in Oslo, they just tore down the whole place... ^^
Really awsome to see them do a show by their own, and not at a festival, it suits them well!

OH, for those who don´t know yet, I would like to mention that both Opeth and Ihsahn play live at Oslo Live
(tickets for 99nok, aprox 11-12 ish euro) friday the 3th july!!! :heh:
http://www.oslolivefestival.no/program/
I´m thinking of attending, perhaps next time I´ll know more than the first Ihsahn solo record
(but I´m damn glad I´d listened to "Thus spake the night spirit!" 2-3 times before).

- Thomas

Here's a small clip from Ihsahn playing Thus Spake The Nightspirit:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw OPETH in Drammen, Norway yesterday on their final show of the minitour, and for the second time in a row I was dissapointed by an OPETH concert.

To be sure, there was much good to be said about it - the sound was phenomenal, best I have heard them with, and the venue Union Scene was fantastic.

But I expected the band to do something out of the fact it was the last night (aside from Mikael mentioning the fact); the only unexpected thing was a sudden loss of power during "Hessian Peel", and the way the band managed to continue the song when the power was back on was impressive.

The setlist was identical to the other shows they played this week, with a few short snippets of songs from Kiss and Vikingarna thrown in. Mikael had a few funny lines, especially a comment he made to someone in the audience, but I have forgotten it now sadly.

It was good to hear "Ghost of Perdition", I haven't heard this one live before, and it is one of Opeth's best live songs no doubt. "Credence" was presented beautifully and wistfully and I loved every second of it. "Hessian Peel" was a good live tune too, surprisingly so, and "The Lotus Eater" ate my balls.

So, do I have the right to be dissapointed?

Not really. The band delivered, there were many happy faces in the crowd. It's just I've seen them so much better before.
Still, Mikael Åkerfeldt & co. remain an awesome band, and I can't blame them for not choosing a setlist consisting of "The Moor", "Black Rose Immortal" and "The Twilight is my Robe". And why the hell didn't IHSAHN play? Fuck.

But I had hoped for at least something special from the band on this night. Their show in Volda was much more energetic, humorous, entertaining and all that - but of course, the crowd there was a bit more into it. Drammen was more "meh" on stage, with a great production and a good selection of songs.