So... The Fireface 802

Was considering this or an apollo for my next purchase. Do you use it USB or FW? I have the original one atm. Getting a bit long in the tooth and i could use the built in effects for vocal tracking.
How do you find the conversion?

gonna get the 802 as soon as some more money´s available.
How´s the latency st 44k 64 samples? (just to compare with my dead Multiface2)

Was considering this or an apollo for my next purchase. Do you use it USB or FW? I have the original one atm. Getting a bit long in the tooth and i could use the built in effects for vocal tracking.
How do you find the conversion?

So far I've been using the USB. It's been rock solid so I don't know If I'm gonna bother comparing with the Firewire anytime soon. I can't say much about the conversion. Strictly speaking about the D/A, coming from the Audient ID22, this is not a world changing difference but I seem to hear a bit more depth and clarity overall. I don't want to use too many superlatives cause it's easy to fall into the new gear amazement syndrome especially when it comes to conversion..

gonna get the 802 as soon as some more money´s available.
How´s the latency st 44k 64 samples? (just to compare with my dead Multiface2)

I haven't tested lower (or higher for that matter) than 96 so far which gets me around 3 ms I think but I could be wrong. Haven't heard a single pop or click yet with fairly busy projects.

Last edited:
So far I've been using the USB. It's been rock solid so I don't know If I'm gonna bother comparing with the Firewire anytime soon. I can't say much about the conversion. Strictly speaking about the D/A, coming from the Audient ID22, this is not a world changing difference but I seem to hear a bit more depth and clarity overall. I don't want to use too many superlatives cause it's easy to fall into the new gear amazement syndrome especially when it comes to conversion...

Thanks for replying. I agree with you about the new gear thing.. I sometimes feel that mixes come together quicker depending on what converters I have used for the tracking. I normally use the ADI-8 AE but haven't had a problem tracking straight through the fireface 800. I would guess the converters in the 802 are better than both these units.
There is normally not much hype around RMEs converters, which isn't a bad thing. But their drivers are just the best and when tracking stability is my major concern.

Seems like a good bang for buck audio interface. I might try and pick one up early next year.

So far I've been using the USB. It's been rock solid so I don't know If I'm gonna bother comparing with the Firewire anytime soon. I can't say much about the conversion. Strictly speaking about the D/A, coming from the Audient ID22, this is not a world changing difference but I seem to hear a bit more depth and clarity overall. I don't want to use too many superlatives cause it's easy to fall into the new gear amazement syndrome especially when it comes to conversion..

I haven't tested lower (or higher for that matter) than 96 so far which gets me around 3 ms I think but I could be wrong. Haven't heard a single pop or click yet with fairly busy projects.

I've really been looking at the id22 but have previously used RME stuff (Babyface, Fireface) so I'm definitely interested in how they compare.

I'm sure the 802 is awesome.

I've had my UFX for about a year now and I absolutely love it. The conversion is top notch, at LEAST on the level of apollo. Also since they are wizards, I have stopped using firewire all together. USB 3.0 is perfect for their drivers, I dont know how they do it.

I'm sure the 802 is awesome.

I've had my UFX for about a year now and I absolutely love it. The conversion is top notch, at LEAST on the level of apollo. Also since they are wizards, I have stopped using firewire all together. USB 3.0 is perfect for their drivers, I dont know how they do it.

Yeah, went from FF800 to UCX and absolutely love it as well. Worth mentioning that neither UCX or UFX work on USB 3.0, so the stability/speed you're getting is proof of how good USB 2.0 has gotten over the past decade.

Yeah, went from FF800 to UCX and absolutely love it as well. Worth mentioning that neither UCX or UFX work on USB 3.0, so the stability/speed you're getting is proof of how good USB 2.0 has gotten over the past decade.
Hi Jeff
Did you noticed any major AD-DA difference between ff800 and ucx?

Hi Jeff
Did you noticed any major AD-DA difference between ff800 and ucx?

I admittedly had an Apogee Duet2 between them, but the Duet2 was a slight step up from the FF800 in terms of conversion, and the UCX was another slight step from there (or is at least on par).

I don't know that I would sell an FF800 to get a UCX JUST for the conversion quality change, but if any of the other upgrades make it worthwhile to you then the slightly better conversion is a nice bonus.

I admittedly had an Apogee Duet2 between them, but the Duet2 was a slight step up from the FF800 in terms of conversion, and the UCX was another slight step from there (or is at least on par).

I don't know that I would sell an FF800 to get a UCX JUST for the conversion quality change, but if any of the other upgrades make it worthwhile to you then the slightly better conversion is a nice bonus.
I could just get a used ff800 instead of the ucx if the difference is small.Thanks man