So we don't have a Best of 2004 thread yet?

General Zod said:
After Forever - Invisible Circles
Aina - Days of the Rising Doom
Amon Amarth - Fate of Norms
Angra - Temple of Shadows
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Cea Serin - ...where Memories Combine
Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine
Danzig - Circle of Snakes
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Enslaved - Isa
Evergrey - The Inner Circle
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion
Isis - Panopticon
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Magnitude 9 - Decoding the Soul
Manticora - 8 Deadly Sins
Mercenary - 11 Dreams
Metal Church - Weight of the World
Nightwish - Once
Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast
Riverside - Out of Myself
Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi
Tesla - Into the Now

Zod
Similar tastes here !!

A large number of your favorites are also mine. Here are a few that I'll also add to the list.

Mystic Prophecy - Never Ending (top 20 or so)
Silent Force - World's Apart (top 20 or so)
Jag Panzer - Casting The Stones (top 10 for me)
Vision Divine - Stream Of Consciousness (top 5)
Orphaned Land - Mabool (top 5 or so)
Eldritch - A Portrait To The Abyss Within (top 25 or so)
IcyCore - Wetwired (Top 30 maybe)
Megadeth - The System Has Failed (top 25 or so)

Britt

BlackWinterDay: you want to hear John Frusciante - When Shadows Collide with People. Oh yes, yes you do.

Badly. I'll give you my CD-R copy with Elend since my proper copy just arrived. Mahvelous.

486de2293d7c61.jpg

M.Lehto said:
Noenum: Black Esoteric Evangelium 10" (b&w-splatter-vinyl, ltd 666) Hammer of Hate HOH-002 2004

I just cannot understand why no one has mentioned this. Great stuff, reminds me a bit of early Burzum.

I actually tried ordering that one after your recomendation in a previous thread, but I'm not sure if the distro has it yet :|
I'm usually pretty wary when something gets the "early Burzum" tag, but I'll trust your good judgement here.

I haven't heard much from 2004 but the best would doubtless be Dso's masterpiece.

Black Winter Day said:
GaKAITHROUGH
We should really think about doing a feature for them at some point.

I think I established my top 10 (in ascending order as well!!). Thing is, I have 20 really solid albums, so I don't know whether to do a top 20, or keep to a top 10 and list the rest as honorable mentions. I'll probably do the latter, since I really want to narrow down the specific top 10 of '04.

Erik said:
Will be receiving this shortly from NSP, should be WIN... Nasheim was planning a split vinyl with them which didn't happen... However, look out for a split with another band in the not so distant future...
I like... I like a lot :D

Nyktalgia are realy similar to Burzum... same sort of tone, but more anguished vocals. First track is epic, but the album loses momentum a bit later on...

Either way, it's available from No Colours, there's a sample on their site as well.

Mar De Grises
Nortt
Ufomammut
Graveland
Astrofaes
Isis
Nasheim
Angantyr
YOB
Nocte Obducta
Pagan Altar
Witchcraft
Esoteric
Rwake
Deathspell Omega
Neurosis
Uaral
Loits
Eyes of Ligeia
Reverend Bizarre/Orodruin 12" split
Tyranny
The Gates of Slumber
Morgion
Velvet Cacoon
Lunar Aurora
Ocean Chief
Armagedda
Reclusian

2004 is my first full year in metal. One thing I've learned is that trying to objectively rank such varying albums is pretty gay. :loco: How do I compare Anata and Black Label Society? By year's end I'll own probably 35-40 2004 releases and plan to put together a Top 25 to showcase the albums that impressed me most, but upon trying to start this list, I've found I can't put one damn album into place without thinking something else should be there, it's madness. Nevertheless, I'm aiming for a complete list by December 31st, but I won't guarantee myself a damn thing. :tickled:

And no one has mentioned Vintersorg, Cruachan or Bergthron, you hippies. :D

Opeth17 said:
One thing I've learned is that trying to objectively rank such varying albums is pretty gay. :loco: How do I compare Anata and Black Label Society? By year's end I'll own probably 35-40 2004 releases and plan to put together a Top 25 to showcase the albums that impressed me most, but upon trying to start this list, I've found I can't put one damn album into place without thinking something else should be there, it's madness. Nevertheless, I'm aiming for a complete list by December 31st, but I won't guarantee myself a damn thing. :tickled:
I feel your pain.:erk: