So... what do you guys think about this article?

I think it's true.
Try to mix a song...and when you have finished, put on the master bus a limiter and crank it until you have the loudness of the actual production.
You lose all the dynamic and the clarity you had when you finished to mix

I think it's true.
Try to mix a song...and when you have finished, put on the master bus a limiter and crank it until you have the loudness of the actual production.
You lose all the dynamic and the clarity you had when you finished to mix

Putting it on before the mixing is the trick. :zombie:

Should we try to get back to the analogue sound? What do you think?

The only way to get back to the analogue sound is to start listening to vinyl again. Actually, vinyl is all I listen to at home. Listening to music anywhere else is a bit of a let down, but oh well. Of course I don't have anything even remotely new on vinyl....I suppose that would be largely pointless.

Interesting article even if most of us have heard about this "loudness war" before.

Sphykik I don't understand exactly why you suggest going back to analogue as THE solution as the main issue here is too much compression for more volume.

Sounds like what just about everyone here has been saying all along. And back to analog? Not necessarily but back to dynamics, yes. And for god sakes, enough with the digital clipping when mastering. I just got the new Arch Enemy and while I love the songs, the clipping distortion going on is just atrocious and unacceptable. ENOUGH!!! :mad:

Sounds like what just about everyone here has been saying all along. And back to analog? Not necessarily but back to dynamics, yes. And for god sakes, enough with the digital clipping when mastering. I just got the new Arch Enemy and while I love the songs, the clipping distortion going on is just atrocious and unacceptable. ENOUGH!!! :mad:

+1

This guy would agree with that article:

gay_pride_angel.jpg

I'd have to agree with the whole "louder-is-better" thing ruining a lot of music today. I'll be the first to admit that although I want my productions to sound as loud as possible, the only way to "compete" with other productions is to basically stomp the fuck out of it with a compressor and/or a limiter. I've been noticing for a while now that I haven't been truly happy with a lot of my work because of clients wanting the loudest possible volume. Easiest way to achieve that? Smash it. That's when snare drums disappear, and the mix you spent hours upon hours getting and finally are happy with just went down the drain. I have found it hard to explain to clients that louder is not necessarily better, and I've even shown them the difference between the dynamics of the mix I prefer, and the dynamics of the mix they prefer. They always go for the smashed one. I know it's all about the client, but seriously, enough is enough.

I'm going to start doing it how I want when it comes to the dynamics of it and if they don't like it then they can always take it somewhere else to get it smashed by a "mastering engineer". I may lose some business, but I'll enjoy my work a lot more.

~e.a