So who here has....

rhavin2112 said:
We should have asked you to join the debate......

Well..we still have a few months before the show. I'm up for Round 2.

"Let's get ready to RUUUUUUMMMMMBBBLLLLLEEEE!"

Seriously, I do appreciate your coverage regardless of any perceived negative content by myself or the fans.

Devy rules.

Glenn H.

Haha, I just knew this article would create some rift and lead to a pointless argument...some people in the prog community just lack a sense of humour, I'm a huge fan of Symphony X and Evergrey and I laughed at most of the ridicule thrown in their direction and recognize their flaws...

Well, I've grown a bit inured to Raggi, I suppose, having become a LotFP subscriber. While I don't agree with everything that was said and some of how it was said, I was honestly expecting it to be much worse, since I read some of the reactions first.

I think a lot of fans (of any band or genre or what-have-you) get swept into one of two categories: the "moonies" and the overly negative, because those are the two camps that always seem to be the most vocal. I'd be willing to bet, however, that most people who read the "rumblings" agreed with some of it and not with other parts.

But, boy, was that long!! And coming from me... well... I'm not usually "concise," exactly. It was a bit hard to read through the whole thing.

Shaye

ProgMetalFan said:
Nightingale progressive? Sounds like a rehash of 70's/80's corporate rock to me. (I own the last 3)

Progressive-
  1. Moving forward; advancing.
  2. Proceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments: progressive change.
  3. Promoting or favoring progress toward better conditions or new policies, ideas, or methods: a progressive politician; progressive business leadership.
Progressive music can be more centered on the ideology rather than the actual music itself. For a musician who has made a name for himself within the extreme metal community (Edge Of Sanity) to create at first a pure gothic rock project (The Breathing Shadow) then morph it into a progressive, organic, unabashedly retro style (The Closing Chronicles as well as the future releases) shows a musician who is not afraind to take chances and move forward. That to me is the very essence of progressive music and the reason I classify Nightingale as a progressive band.

The problem is the use of the progressive label itself. It has become a genre tag that emcompasses everything that is bland and stale in the scene today. People hail Symphony X and Vanden Plas as the best progressive metal has to offer but how do they meet the above criteria?

Here is an example of bands that truly deserve the progressive tag:

Enslaved
Emperor
Opeth
Zero Hour
Maudlin Of The Well
Devin Townsend
Amorphis
The Gathering
The Provenance
Bal Sagoth
Negura Bunget
Madder Mortem

Each of these bands show a willingness to "think outside the box" and incorporate a wide range of emotions and styles. They also have a tendency to redefine their sound and truly progressive on each successive release.

Personally I could care less on the labeling of music...if I like the sound then its good enough for me. Maybe it's my feeble mind <G> that can't process what's progressive, power, heavy or wtf any more so I just tell everyone this is what I dig you label it what you want. I know what music gets me off and that's good enough for me. :) Sorry just had to toss that out.

All that aside, I have to say that the article made for some entertaining reading. Although some of the opinions made I would highly disagree with, I think Jim and Rhavin2112 (Adam) did a fine job on stirring the ProgPower pot. I do however applaud them for their support behind ProgPower and the cause behind it!

Cheers, Antonio

rhavin2112 said:
N'sych?????

Incorrectly spelled words can and will take the venom out of any good insult......

:loco:

On a serious note, I am trying to re-evaluate my perceptions of Symphony X. The problem is I keep falling asleep during the first song........

More of a typing error than a spelling error. None the less, I wasn't really trying to be insulting. Your opinions are your own, and that's cool. But Dani? Please.

GZ

Jim LotFP said:
Russell Allen's not bad, but Dani has more variations in his vocals and he's not against the wall of being unable to top what people in his style were doing 20 years earlier.

Dani has a style? When did sounding like a smurf being savagely beaten with a blunt object become a style?

GZ

Excellent post Adam...the distinction between actual progression, which I define as a significant change in approach to one's art that does not result in a decrease in quality, and the arbitrary labeling can be lost on some people, including myself on occasions...

I thought the article was pretty funny and dead-on target with alot of points about the bands.That said, I am still an EVERGREY fan.Some bands just make it too easy to poke fun at them,doesnt mean we cant still like the music though.

Well, the article had me on the floor in stitches!!!:tickled: I can't wait to read more of the "Rumbelings"!

I think David Letterman said it best, "now what fun would it be to poke fun at someone or something that's not popular? No one would get the joke!"

By these two doing this, (in my opinion) it shows that many of the bands are loved and well known enough to be poked at... and that's a very good thing! And Glenn said it best: "There is no such thing as "bad press."

Both Jim and Rhavin2112 trashed some of my favorites...and I was still laughing! Maybe it's becasue I know these guys and know their sense of humor... it's like watching the muppets with those two old codgers up in the balcony...hilarious!!!!

Keep up the good work you guys!

\m/
Dustin

Jim LotFP said:
Kindly remind us to include Circle II Circle this time.

Hey Guys,
Speaking of Circle II Circle, has anyone heard when their new cd is gonna be released? I downloaded their samples and I must admit, they ROCK. Their website only says it's coming soon.
LuCinda

And if anyone can help, I wanted to post a pic but it said the attachment was too big...how do I reduce it to make it fit?
Sorry, but I am computer illiterate.