so.....

GEEsu5

Dec 10, 2006
for first show of AAs headlining show (october 1st, @ house of blues in anaheim) since the HoB is on disneyland ground Disney decides what bands get to play and what bands dont.

that being said they wont let belphegor or the absence play so its going to be AA and ensiferum only, im bummed that i cant see belphegor or the absence. but then again im stoked because i get to see a show noone else gets too ^_^ and i wonder how extra long their sets will be

Seriously?? That blows. Good to know that some amendments don't aply to some parts of California even...

Actually, that wouldn't violate the U.S. constitution in any way. Disneyland is a private enterprise, and while freedom of speech is enshrined in the constitution, so is the sanctity private property. So while theoretically the government cannot pass any laws forbidding free speech, individuals have the right to determine what range of discourse is permittable on their private property.

For instance, i can legally say George W. Bush is a fuck-faced retard, but if i go over to his house for dinner at his "ranch" in Crawford, TX, and start calling him a fuck-faced retard, he has every right to ask me to leave and never come back.

Another example would be if a theme park called "Pagan Land" sprang up (which actually would be pretty sweet now that i think of it :D), they would have every right to keep Christian groups from performing in it.

That's the theory behind it anyway. In practice, however, considering the vast financial fortunes of many christian groups, the average pagan will unfortunately tend to get the shaft most of the time. :mad:

but that doesnt make sence! amon has few anti-christianty lyrics too

The owners/board of directors of Disneyland have the power to arbitrarily decide who performs and who doesn't, just like you could decide who you invite to have supper at your house. It doesn't matter if their decisions are contradictory and unjust. It's their property.

But that's not to say i agree with Disneyland, which has grown into a corporate Goliath that is essentially no better than Halliburton these days.

Another example would be if a theme park called "Pagan Land" sprang up (which actually would be pretty sweet now that i think of it :D), they would have every right to keep Christian groups from performing in it.

That's the theory behind it anyway. In practice, however, considering the vast financial fortunes of many christian groups, the average pagan will unfortunately tend to get the shaft most of the time. :mad:

Well we have a Park Asterix here in France :) You being american i'm not sure if you know who Asterix and Obelix are. They're famous fictional characters, they are Gauls.. hence pagan.. they yell "by Belenos" or "by Taranis" when they kick Romans' asses.. anyway its kind of pagan huh? There's a roller coaster there called "thunder of Zeus" and shit :D

Well we have a Park Asterix here in France :) You being american i'm not sure if you know who Asterix and Obelix are. They're famous fictional characters, they are Gauls.. hence pagan.. they yell "by Belenos" or "by Taranis" when they kick Romans' asses.. anyway its kind of pagan huh? There's a roller coaster there called "thunder of Zeus" and shit :D

Haha, no i didn't know about that... and here i thought i was on to something new. Damn!

But didn't you guys put a stop to Euro Disney in Paris? Good on ya if ya did.

Yes, I know how that works and that it has to do with economy, I just find it interesting that when and where what amendment applies is sort of up to the local economy, and in this instance, it's frigging California. If there is any place in the US where you can promote whatever you want to promote it's there.
Besides, I know they're not in breach of any amendment, they're only trying not to loose customers, but this is the same company that has stood firm in promoting some stuff in their own movies and commercials that run on their channels, that the Christian right wing were extremely upset by (and boycotted them for). It's just funny that they should pick this as a "battle not to fight". As amon666 pointed out, AA are no angels either (I happen to remember word for word what I wrote in that infamous angry e-mail that eventually became the lyrics to 1000 Years of Oppression - I was not very nice to Jahwe), so it seems a bit random...

I suppose it can be taken as flattery, too. I mean, this implies that at leat those two bands are famous enough to be banned from Dinsneyland!

Haha, no i didn't know about that... and here i thought i was on to something new. Damn!

But didn't you guys put a stop to Euro Disney in Paris? Good on ya if ya did.

No, Eurodisney is still here but I think they're having financial difficulties. I believe the state is helping them out though, cause its still good for the economy (tourists and employement and shit) and for that reason i'm not against there being a disneyland in France.. and Disney, although a part of "americanisation" is still pretty cool for kids, cute culture and shit so i'm not against it.

But Parc Asterix is better... fewer cues and less for kids.. and pagan.. :).. check this out :
5.jpg

It doesn't get more pagan than this! :D

:lol: Why book the house of blues in disneyland anyway?

Just book a normal venue.

It's not inside the park it's just on the park's property hence Disney owns it and they do whatever the fuck they want with it.

Though it would be fucking cool to see Amon Amarth play while Mickey Mouse and Miney Mouse are having sex onstage while Goofy is crowd surfing and Donald Duck is getting drunk off his ass.

its located in downtown disney which is free (you can just walk there, no ticket required)

Yes, I know how that works and that it has to do with economy, I just find it interesting that when and where what amendment applies is sort of up to the local economy, and in this instance, it's frigging California. If there is any place in the US where you can promote whatever you want to promote it's there.
Besides, I know they're not in breach of any amendment, they're only trying not to loose customers, but this is the same company that has stood firm in promoting some stuff in their own movies and commercials that run on their channels, that the Christian right wing were extremely upset by (and boycotted them for). It's just funny that they should pick this as a "battle not to fight". As amon666 pointed out, AA are no angels either (I happen to remember word for word what I wrote in that infamous angry e-mail that eventually became the lyrics to 1000 Years of Oppression - I was not very nice to Jahwe), so it seems a bit random...

Ahha... so you're the mysterious C. Reid who penned the lyrics for "1000 Years of Oppression"? Why, I didn't realize i was in such distinguished company. :)

I love that song and, at the the risk of sounding like a suck-up :p, i must say those lyrics are SPOT ON.

But yeah, i see what you mean, i was just blathering on about legalities just in case anyone had any doubts about the constitutionality of a private venue not letting certain bands play.

I suppose it can be taken as flattery, too. I mean, this implies that at leat those two bands are famous enough to be banned from Dinsneyland!

It looks like they must be making some waves, but it shows you how back-asswards and out-of-touch i am with the mainstream these days, 'cause i know AA and Ensiferum but have no idea about the other bands. :p