SOAD hypnotize/mesmerize

Shit that just took me back to
anyway (I'm starting to lose it, dunk as fuck ;))....

System was pretty much the second "metal" band I got into (after Metallica hehe), thanks to a couple of my Armenian friends. Don't like em anymore, but yeah, props to them for gettin me hooked on metal back in 2001. Also props to Andy Sneap (!) - before I even knew who the hell he was, Testament's The Gathering and Opeth's Deliverance were literally my introduction to "heavier" metal - and if it weren't for the great production on both those albums I probably wouldn't have dug further and further into it!

I love System of a down! I´m a great fan, especially of Mesmerize/Hypnotize. This thread is overdue!! SOAD is one of the most creative bands in the Rock/Metal genre imo. I saw them life 1998 with Slayer and Sepultura, promoting their debut Album. It was a great show, I will never forget :)

oh also i was watching the making of hypnotize/mesmerize on the dual side disc dvd or whatever that came with the cd.
they miked the cabinets (marshall) in a medium sized iso area facing a wall of acoustic guitars and from what i remember there were several condensers (u87?) in different stereo configs on the wall facing the acoustics in addition to the mics on the cab. whether it did anything or not i'm not sure. those guitars sound great though. daron said he always loved how amps sounded at guitar center when he played it in the rooms with the acoustic guitars and he wanted to re-create that. it shows him using several guitars from gibson lp, sg, to jackson randy rhoades flying v. the amps were all plexi heads from what i remember. and in the toxicity video you see a dual rectifier and some plexis as well. in the old old old video they have from workign with sylvia massey on the first cd i remember seeing like 3 dual rectifiers on top of each other in the control room.

oh also i was watching the making of hypnotize/mesmerize on the dual side disc dvd or whatever that came with the cd.
they miked the cabinets (marshall) in a medium sized iso area facing a wall of acoustic guitars and from what i remember there were several condensers (u87?) in different stereo configs on the wall facing the acoustics in addition to the mics on the cab. whether it did anything or not i'm not sure. those guitars sound great though. daron said he always loved how amps sounded at guitar center when he played it in the rooms with the acoustic guitars and he wanted to re-create that. it shows him using several guitars from gibson lp, sg, to jackson randy rhoades flying v. the amps were all plexi heads from what i remember. and in the toxicity video you see a dual rectifier and some plexis as well. in the old old old video they have from workign with sylvia massey on the first cd i remember seeing like 3 dual rectifiers on top of each other in the control room.

ive been wanting that dvd from the mezmerize/hypnotyze sessions!

I like SOAD. Too bad they kinda overused their gimmicks after Toxicity (there was some fresh stuff in Mesmerize/hypnotize but still it was like their formula was getting old already). Listened to Mesmerize again a couple of weeks ago and really liked it though.

Is it me or there is a lot of pops on the vocals on mesmerize/hypnotize? Like in Cigaro at the beginning when the daron says ''pure'' at 40 seconds. And is the album clipping like hell? Last time I listened to the album it was before I started to learn about audio engineering and I didn't noticed these things at all :lol: