Hypnotize/Mesmerize

SOAD is the bet band now without a doubt
i havent heard hypnotioze yet but mezmorize was good. Im learing the lonely day solo hard shit i didnt know he was that good

BUMP!

I've just gotten Hypnotize and have given it a whirl. First impression: meh. Uninspired melodies, pointless vocal spazzing. I love Mezmerize, very memorable, very hooky. This, no. A few songs at the end caught my ear, but that's it. And I'm finally convinced that Daron's voice is fucking irritating.

And I have to say this CD sounds like SHIT!! It's TOO FUCKING LOUD. Everything has turned into mush. At several points it got too loud and my speakers crackled, meaning only one thing: clipping. Cymbal crashes are turned into mush. Just static white noise. Guitars are too loud. Terrible, fucking terrible. A shame; Andy Wallace does good work. Sepultura Chaos A.D., for example: now that's a well-done CD! Wide dynamic range (unlike Hypnotize; only LOUD and LOUDER), cymbal crashes and drums sound real and natural.

I bet if I stuck this in Audacity to look at the waveform, it would look like Greater of 2 Evils, possibly one of the worst-sounding CDs I've ever heard (up there with Dance of Death): one solid block, not a fucking trace of peaks or valleys. This is not what CDs were invented for. Why spend so much time and effort making a recording, and the final product sounds like ass?

Drokk said:
And I'm finally convinced that Daron's voice is fucking irritating.
I'll admit... I love SOAD but I'd like Daron to shut up for the next album, Serj is a great singer.

Geezer my ass! That SOAD is all over the place, vocally and musically. He sings like he got his nuts pounded flat with a wooden mallet. Somebody bring back Hall & Oates from the dead for God's sake...

It's "RAZE" I think from Exodus. Awesome record, especially keeping in mind the brutal line up changes of the past year.

You really thought GO2E sounded that bad? I loved that one!

But agreed, I thought mesmerize was awesome, where as I did not like hypnotize much at all.

Thrillho said:
You really thought GO2E sounded that bad? I loved that one!
Yes. Look, I love it, some of those songs I like a lot more than the originals. I love the production and the performances. BUT, it's so fucking loud that the sound quality is turned to mush. The drums sound terrible, and the vocals sound piercing and at times distorted. I've been listening to music for a long time, and I've become sensitive to these things. This is the "hottest" CD I've ever heard, and there are some notorious ones out there: Dance of Death, Rush's Vapor Trails, Californication; the new Megadeth remasters are really bad, as are the Maiden remasters. And now, I add Hypnotize to this list. Here's an article about it:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C

This is a well-known phenomenon with hard-rock and metal CDs.

An Amazon review of Screaming for Vengeance Remastered:

why do record companies have to hard limit and increase volume on cds to make them sound louder.all your [sic] doing is destroying the sound.tinny highs,flat bass.dont get me wrong i love this album but im sick of epic and sony destroying sound.i guess they like distorsion [sic] and no dynamic range.for the album i give it 5 stars.for sound quality i give it zero.time to get back into vinyl.crisp highs and deep warm bass.

ironmaidenfan09 said:
I strongly disagree. I can't stand these albums. The first SOAD album is a masterpiece, they used to be amazing but now they have gotten more mainstream and are going for some coin. The newer shit doesn't even come close to comparing to the s/t album material. Toxicity is pretty good too, but if I never hear the newer stuff again it will be to soon.

I'm also somewhere along these lines, the difference is that, to me, Toxicity was a great disappointment, and I didn't really care for records that came after that (STA and these two). I have listened to a few tracks, did not like them and moved on. There are some nice ideas floating around, but, I do not feel their rebellion genuine anymore. And their sound, I do not know what it is, but, there is something missing...