Software Midi Synth that supports sf2?

GuitarMaestro

Mar 27, 2006
Germany
Hi!
I wonder if there is a software midi synth that supports loading sf2 banks. I dont want it to be a plugin, but a standalone midi device for windows xp. (Just like the Microsoft Wavetable Synth, but with the ability to load different sounds into it). Any ideas?

GuitarMaestro said:
Hi!
I wonder if there is a software midi synth that supports loading sf2 banks. I dont want it to be a plugin, but a standalone midi device for windows xp. (Just like the Microsoft Wavetable Synth, but with the ability to load different sounds into it). Any ideas?

Fruity Loops

Just about every caewalk product

And there are tons of VST synths that you can load SF2's into.

I used SF2's for years, the sound quality is OK nothing to brag about my any means.

Thanks for your answer, but as I wrote I need a stand-alone midi-device/synth just like the Microsoft Wavetable Synth that can be accesed from all midi applications.

I used SF2's for years, the sound quality is OK nothing to brag about my any means.

True....but I would not use them for recording. I just need a better sound than Microsoft Wavetable Synth for writing scores in programs like finale....

sfz is freely available for download.
Requirements:
800x600 minimum resolution.
800 MHz or faster processor, SSE-capable processor recommended, 128Mb of RAM or more recommended.

Feature Set
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Engine
High Quality bandlimiting sample-playback engine.
9 quality settings to allow precise CPU usage optimization.
256 voices of polyphony, unlimited layers per voice.
Per-channel polyphony limiter.
Fully multitimbral operation, supports all 16 MIDI channels.
Supports any standard/custom samplerate, including 22k, 32k, 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k, 192k and 384k.
Extensive SoundFont compatibility.
Several loading modes for SoundFont files: Whole SoundFont, Single Program, Direct-from-Disk streaming.
Loads and plays standard wave files (.wav) and Ogg-Vorbis compressed files (.ogg)
Loads and plays the sfz format sample definiton files.
Stereo Output.

Sound Generator
A multimode filter (one-pole LPF/HPF, two-pole LPF/BPF/BRF/HPF, three LFOs and three Envelope Generators per layer.
Filter Cutoff, Filter Resonance, Keyboard Tracking, Velocity Tracking and Envelope Amount.
Vibrato LFO with Delay, Speed and Depth control.
Modulation LFO with Delay, Depth, Filter Depth, Pitch Depth and Amp Depth controls.
Modulation EG with Attack, Hold, Keyboard-To-Hold, Decay, Keyboard-To-Decay, Sustain, Release and Pitch Depth controls.
Amplifier EG with Delay, Attack, Hold, Keyboard-To-Hold, Decay, Keyboard-To-Decay, Sustain and Release controls.

Effects
Stereo Chorus and Stereo Reverb.
Effects on/off switch.

Programs / Banks
128 internal programs (scenes).
Saves and Loads standard program (.fxp) files (saving only possible using the microHost, loading thru drag-and-drop operation).
Drag and drop support for program files (.fxp) and sound files (.sfz, .sf2, .wav, .ogg).
All settings saved in the song.

Graphic User Interface
Total Layers and Voices played indicator.
Sound Preview ribbon at bottom, MIDI transmit to host (VST).

MIDI implementation
Extensive MIDI implementation: Velocity, Pitch Bend, Modulation, Sustain Sw and a lot more.

ASIO microHost
Ultra light ASIO host for live performance and programming (90k)
Supports 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz samplerates.
Virtual keyboard with Pitch Bend/Modulation/Program Change/Transpose controls using PC keyboard.
Simultaneous use of multiple MIDI ports.
Saves 16-bit and 32-bit WAV files direct-to-disk.