Soilwork - The Living Infinite

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
This album seemed like a great album by the previews but man I finished hearing the first CD and it's quite forgettable. The riffs and the structures are far from basic, there is a really good work, developing riffs here and there but in the end they dont produce catchy melodies, I think it´s the main problem. By the other hand, I like to hear blast beats but sometimes they seem to come out of time, not technically of course but in terms of musicality. The album sounds like B sides of panic broadcast. They keep the same formula but without delivering something inspiring. Btw I liked a lot the panic broadcast.

What´s your thoughts of this album?

I'm enjoying the album here but you're right, the guitar work and song writing is not as memorable as I had wished. Nice vocal work by Speed as always.

Got it for 8 bucks, I'm not complaining. :lol: I've listened to it about three times all the way through since last week. It's not the most amazing thing in the world but still very good.

I think it's really good. I also wasn't impressed with it on first listen except for a couple of songs but since then it has grown on me. It's true, though, that it's not as consistent as panic broadcast and there are 2-3 songs in there that are below average. I guess it was bound to happen in a 20-track double album.

Yes I think it's a pretty great record. The gay parts are gay as fuck but they are so good that I don't really mind. I wish they would be a little more aggressive and less polished, a la Predator's Portrait but I'll take it. Just cause your singer can sing well doesn't mean he should do it all the time. Same for guitars. And Bogren's mix is great again. Real pleased with this puppy.

Wow man, I'm kinda stunned of how you feel about the album. I think it's awesome. Man, just listen to Realm of the Wasted, those SICK riffs and all of a sudden they burst out into that 3/4 chorus without losing the groove.. That's just some awesome songwriting, I'm totally floored by it. Almost every song is a hit.

Utterly disappointing & boring music to me.

Dirk's drumming is the only thing tickling my nuts here.

I'm so sick of the state of heavy music nowadays. Metal bands strumming mostly chords,
doubled with recycled Iron Maiden harmonies and forgetful (clean ch.) vocal lines.

I love 'Stabbing The Drama', but this one bores me and makes me want to spin
Tori Amos' 'Little Earthquakes' cd to wash this generic dirt off my mind.

I want to hear some heavy riffs god dammit, I hope the new Carcass will deliver!

Soilwork on their worst day is usually better than half the new music I hear coming from similar bands. The riffs on this video are just killer imo

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=425415144161792

That's one of my least favorite songs in the album, and that riff starting at 0.24 annoys the crap out of me, one of the worst soilwork riffs I've heard.

Also, has anyone noticed that the guitars seem just a tad undergained? 95% of the time they work pretty good in the whole mix (which is great btw), there are just some small parts that gave me that impression.

It seems I am alone in this point of view!lol Well maybe the music will grow on me, but I doubt. Because I feel when a riff can grow, the most of the riffs dont say nothing at all to me. Anyway, the second CD seems better, it has more diversity.

That's one of my least favorite songs in the album, and that riff starting at 0.24 annoys the crap out of me, one of the worst soilwork riffs I've heard.

It´s funny because the intro riff is great but it changes to shit when he starts to sing.

It there's one thing that crosses my mind while listening to this album it's this:

While Andy's work has inspired me to pursue a career as an audio engineer, Jen's work makes me wonder if it's still not to late to turn to plumbing.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot after Peter Wichers left again. The first time he left, Soilwork released Sworn to a Great Divide, which I didn't enjoy as much as the previous albums. But I think the Living Infinite is their strongest album in years! They didn't miss a beat with the new guitarist.

Long Live the Misanthrope is killer!

-Aaron
http://www.undertheroseband.com
http://www.facebook.com/undertheroseband