Some days, this is the greatest job ever!

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey all,

This is a letter the band "Final Stage" received from a fan a short while ago. I produced the album in 2007 and helped write the song in question.... this just blew my mind!

Dear Brandon Wright, Josh Kurkjian, and Justin Humphrey;

My name is ***** ***** [to protect their identity], I am a (non-practicing) Muslim from London, England and Stockholm, Sweden, though my family is originally from Iran. The reason I write to you is about your song “Infidel”. I write not in anger or hatred, but in gratitude. You see, I come from a very strict Muslim home and although my siblings and I attended an English public school, my family was rather devout in their practice of Islam.

Around 2005 a secondary school teacher introduced me to the wonders of science, biology in particular. As I began to develop a passion for the way the human body functions, and after being introduced to an elementary dosage of Darwin’s splendid work, I began questioning my faith. A year later when The God Delusion became a bestseller, a friend gave me a copy which remained hidden in my locker or under a desk at home and read sparingly, not to be caught dead with it by my friends and family. At first my conscience got the better of me, but as I delved into the book, Professor Dawkins’ words provided an endless supply of reason and comfort to my now heretical beliefs (by the way, are you familiar with his work? Given the words in “Infidel” it would not surprise me in the least if you were).

In 2007 I graduated secondary school. My father recommended I take biology at a lowly Muslim institute for science near London, which was far less about science than unscientific indoctrination. I started to look elsewhere for schools, though I had told my father I would strongly consider his request as to not disappoint him. I applied at Stockholm University and was accepted in the summer, and hadn’t bothered to apply for the Muslim institute. When accepted, I told my father I simply wasn’t accepted into the institute and said I would take biology and religious studies at Stockholm University. I remain there to date, as science appeases my mind and soul, while Islam fails again and again to match the awe I witness before me with a microscope.

Upon return home from school in the winter of 2007 for the holidays, I began to notice a few changes in my family. My mother, already quite timid, appeared more so. My father was quicker to anger; my sister seemed frightened at the mere mention of his name. It was only a year later I would learn he was beating the two women I hold near and dear to my heart. When my two younger brothers would object, he felt no remorse to beat them too, for he had recently re-read the Qu’ran and made sure to apply it’s teachings as though it were the 7th century. To date I still fear for my family and the terror they incur from the wrath of my once loving father. Though I miss them dearly, the worries of my father’s actions upon learning of his own heretical kin ensure that I am at school as much as possible.

When I returned to school in January 2008, my new roommate listened to heavy metal music. It was through him that I discovered your CD “Through the Mirror”. Admittedly, I was not familiar with metal music, my father preferred classical or Arabesque music and I knew of no rock music outside of Led Zeppelin and Linkin Park, which my Christian friends had played for me. To be honest, at first I did not enjoy your music. I guess you could say it wasn’t “my thing”. That sentiment changed, however, weeks later when he has playing your album again, and I happened to walk in on the track “A Prayer Away”. Upon hearing the Hail Mary (which is a respected prayer in Islam), I began scolding my chum for I thought heavy metal was supposed to blaspheme the mother of God, not praise her. Thirty seconds later, I was proven wrong.

This is why I wrote to tell you my story; your song has had a profound impact on my life in the last 400 days or so. I’ve read and re-read the lyrics to the song a dozen times over. The lyrics forced myself into deep introspection of my own faith, my community and my family. While Professor Dawkins was an eye opener for myself, your song hit home with my repressed misgivings I’ve bottled up for several years in regards to Islam. You can no doubt understand my predicament, as leaving Islam is the worst offence one can commit, punishable by death.

To be terser, I liken “Infidel” as my personal Qu’ran. In 5 minutes in 27 seconds you’ve managed to collect my thoughts toward an ongoing tyranny more eloquently than I am capable of doing. I’ve since discovered that the government of Dubai banished the song I cherish, for that I am sorry that the people of Dubai cannot hear such beauty which could free them from their shackles of oppression.

If my story has bored or offended you, I humbly apologize for taking up your time. But, it is a thanks I sincerely wish to have removed from my chest after all this time. I express the utmost gratitude for your music. I have since memorized the music on “Through the Mirror”.

As instructed by my boisterous roommate to close the letter,

Loudly yours,

P.S. I would like to know if you intend on playing Sweden in the future. Allah himself could not permit me to miss the event.

WOW awesome dude..

something like this happend to me last week :

a guy from TUNISIA add me on msn, saying that my songs where damn aweosme, and that he is a big fan of my music and of my ex metal band Bloodlusst , i composed, pretty much everything there... and after we chat a little bit, he send me a video of his band playing MY song ( from one of my ex rock poryects ) on a important festival over there , i mean they where doing a cover of the song that i havent listned over years... and also he wanted to take my band mastermind to play in that gig at the end of the year

so i know how you may feel oz..

cheers.

i forgot , can you believe that my ex band is opening for iron maiden next week? i quite a couple of months ago after we open for kreator, kotipelto, and recorded the new album ALL writed by me. damn.

Yeah that kind of thing makes all the bullshit worth it. We had some guy tell us our songs helped him become less suicidal and get off drugs etc...what a trip! Such a good feeling to help others with music, since music saved me...sappy but it's da troof

That is the greatest shit in the world, when your music can affect someone's life like that. Just make sure that if you've got a demo CD, don't put your own phone number on it, because random people WILL call you up at 4 AM, drunk, to tell you just how much your song means to them. It's happened a few times.

Your music might be the first one to turn people completely away from Islam! :headbang:

congrats!! very cool letter.

beats people telling me to stop playing and give it up all the time.