Some death metal demo in the works, please some input!

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
It's a four song demo, here are two songs in a rough first mix, I'd like to hear opinions and/or ideas, would be greatly appreciated. I think the low end is a bit too messed up but the vocalist/bassist of the band says it's fine, can't depend on the band only to judge. And I seem to be having trouble with the snare being overshadowed in some parts, I'm almost sure it's the vocals it's fighting with cause I didn't see this problem until I unmuted the vox. Anyways, some thoughts! please! pretty please!

01 - The Carnagoth
02 - Beheaded for Being Christian

Edit: Here is the second mix:

The Carnagoth
Beheaded for Being Christian
Condemned to Death

Holy crap, high pass that low end! Definitly way to much going on at 100> khz. Also, the guitars need alot more in the 4k-10k area, and less low mids. To help with definition and that 'rumbling' bass at the mutes.

Actually, if you could just clean up the guitars this would be a pretty good mix! The low end of the guitars is drowning everything else out, so adress that first.

And most importantly, rock on! :headbang:

Holy crap, high pass that low end! Definitly way to much going on at 100> khz. Also, the guitars need alot more in the 4k-10k area, and less low mids. To help with definition and that 'rumbling' bass at the mutes.

Actually, if you could just clean up the guitars this would be a pretty good mix! The low end of the guitars is drowning everything else out, so adress that first.

And most importantly, rock on! :headbang:

thanks, I was expecting a response like that haha. There are techincally three bass tracks in that mix but yeah I think it's more the guitars having to much lows cause I had to mix the bass pretty low so it wouldn't clash. Maybe afrter freeing some space from the guitars the bass tracks will shine better. I have one """DI'd""" bass track (I don't have a real DI, used a zoom 506II which I already sold to the bass player of this same band, I now have a bass v-amp), one "fret bass track" (mic'd the frets with a 57 on the 10th/12th frets, the strings he used are very bright sounding) and the third track is an aux of the DI track but highpassed at something like 600/700Hz and put through a distortion so the highs would be distorted and mix with the guitars a bit (I know this is supposed to be done with a driver DI but as I said, I have no such thing).

Speaking of, anyone could recommend me a good distortion/overdrive I could use effectively for bass? free, preferably?

I think the 3 bass tracks may be overkill and a bitch to work with seriously... You should use just 2 if not one IMO (DI with some slight distortion for instance).

I guess if you clean those guitars like others already said it's gonna help a lot for starters.

three bass tracks? :err:

Sounds pretty cool and rough but could need some tampering with, the guitars are too muffled the drums sound like toy-drums. The vocals are awesome!

really? I feel pretty satisfied with the drum sound, specially the kick and snare, I think they sound pretty real (they are programmed btw) and fit the style nice enough. Anyone else dislike the drum sound? what exactly do you not like?

really? I feel pretty satisfied with the drum sound, specially the kick and snare, I think they sound pretty real (they are programmed btw) and fit the style nice enough. Anyone else dislike the drum sound? what exactly do you not like?

I think it's the snare that make it sound toy-ish. It works at the heavy parts but at the blast parts it sounds very unnatural.

Ok so i gave a small brightening up to the guitars, made the guitar's highpass filter go higher, lost the distorted tip of the bass (now two tracks only). plus made drums a tad louder and backing vocals a lot louder due to petition of the band. Here's the updated mix. what do you say?

The Carnagoth
Beheaded for Being Christian
Condemned to Death

There's a third song so you can check out the songwriting (I'm kinda diggin it a lot)

I think it's the snare that make it sound toy-ish. It works at the heavy parts but at the blast parts it sounds very unnatural.

yeah I get your point, I think I notice it more on the fast part at the ending of "The carnagoth" cause it's the fastest part. Any tip on how I could fix this without changing the sample? cause mainly I think it fits nice. Or, any snare sample you could recommend me for this?

yeah I get your point, I think I notice it more on the fast part at the ending of "The carnagoth" cause it's the fastest part. Any tip on how I could fix this without changing the sample? cause mainly I think it fits nice. Or, any snare sample you could recommend me for this?

You can always do another snare track in your daw and just move the fast snare parts to that particular track. Put on a lowpass filter on its eq just to ease down on the attack of the snare. That would probably do the trick. Good luck!