Some good old diy acoustic paneling

brownbeartle

Apr 21, 2011
So i've always wanted to make my own diy acoustic panels, but never had the motivation. So finally after browsing twitter i came across oak recording studio (located in canada) and they posted a picture of their diy panels. So i messaged them and got this...

Hi Mike,

No problem at all. Always glad to help out a fellow audio enthusiast.

What we did is use 1x4 boards, rough, from home depot. I think they were less than $2 a piece. We did this to keep the weight of the boxes down but you can use 2x4s as well, they will just be crazy heavy. On the plus side, the boxes can be made really fast with screws.

The boxes we made we did the corners with 'L' brackets to keep them square as we connected the wood so the boxes would be 4 inches deep. Used roxul safe n sound in the boxes, as the roxul is made to go in between a 2x4 it lay in perfectly flush to the top of the wood. We then stretched basic t-shirt material over the boxes, stretching 2 layers of it to hold the fabric in. Secured it with a staple gun. It is really important that the material you use is porous (ie. if you put your mouth right up to it and hold the other side, you should be able to feel your breath through it). Last just attached a 2x2 to the wall at the desired height (needed long screws to do this, and predrilling) and rested the inner top lip of the boxes on the 2x2 so they would appear floating.

I probably should have taken photos as I did it. Would have been a good little lesson. Honestly you can also just use fiberboard and glue fabric to it but I find it only reduces high frequencies and we wanted it to control lower waves as well.

If you have any more questions feel free to get in touch!​

In addition to making panels to hang on the walls of my home studio, i wanted to make a sort of (can't think of the name here) dressing room folding divider to wrap around a drum kit. I'll post pictures soon!

So here's the step by step process...
Materials: 1x3, or 1x4, or 2x4 lumber. $2~5 a piece
insulation (whether it be rolux, corning, rolls, or fiberboard) rolux was $39.99
L brackets
Liquid nail (drilling would split the wood, but you can pre drill then hammer in males)
Breathable fabric (i used burlap)

The rolux safe n sound insulation is 47" H x 23" L x 3" D, making it a perfect fit for a 2x4 space. Now to start, i used 1x3's for the frame. Now you can cut at a 45 degree angle, but if you suck at woodwork you can just cut 2 inches off of the 2' piece or the 7' piece. To explain what this looks like, its three frames attached to each other by double hinges, a little trifold . I wanted to make this 7' by 2' so i had to cut a foot off of another sheet and stuff it in the cavity. L brackets really make it easy to keep square, but you can also use nails or glue. I Reinforced the frames with liquid nail. With rolux, you can place studs in the mix, so you can hammer nails from the frame, or just glue it in there. Wrap fabric around the insulation, or the wood whichever you prefer, staple or glue it. Now just attached the double hinges and you're ready to go!

CO-EFFICIENTS AT FREQUENCIES
Thickness 125 Hz 250 Hz 500 Hz 1000 Hz 2000 Hz 4000 Hz

NRC 3.0” 0.52 0.96 1.18 1.07 1.05 1.05 1.05