Some mixes from the weekend

PhilR

Studio Scapegoat
Feb 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
www.stuckonaname.co.uk
Here's a couple of tracks from the two weekend sessions.

First up is a melodic hardcore band from Grimsby named The Departed. I would put this down as the kind of session I wish we could have more of purely because it went more or less flawlessly. They expected to track 4 songs, we ended up with 7 (all the songs they had!). Everything bar the vocals was tracked with the whole band playing together and the guitar sound was good enough from the go that we decided to keep it. All in all the whole thing was mixed by 6pm the same day, with only a minor tweak afterward to bring the group vox up a little.

http://stuckonaname.flatnet.net/downloads/The%20Departed - Security.mp3

Second up is a local metal by the name of Blood Divided. I wish this session could have gone half as well really... Drums were laid down pretty rapidly, not a perfect performance but they were happy and the drummer is only 19 in any .case. Guitars were okay although a few retakes were required here and there. Bass.... Well, words failed me. And the band. I won't go into the exact details but the guitarists had to play all the bass parts as their bassist simply couldn't do it.

http://stuckonaname.flatnet.net/downloads/Blood Divided - Kill The Masses.mp3

Please don't ask me details on guitar gear, I really have no Idea. I know that Marshall & Hartke logos appeared here and there. :p

sounds decent man! drummer is a little weak on the blasts in the last song..any drumreplacement going on btw?

And i had the same problem with a bassplayer once haha.. we actually quit after trying for 5 minutes hahaha..

Yeah the Steven Slate library is pretty much an invaluable resource when you're doing one-day sessions like this. We only have an inexpensive studio kit, so it makes sense to use samples to improve the natural sound. How much we use them depends on the player really, sometimes we don't bother on toms if we feel the material doesn't need it.