Some old school thrash for you to check out ;)

SickBoy

Croatian Panzer division
Apr 9, 2004
Split, Croatia, Europe
www.myspace.com
http://www.myspace.com/hellioncro

Here's the Myspace page of a young local thrash band I'm recording right now called Hellion. The two songs are raw mixes but you'll get a decent picture of their style and influences... The mentioned Dennis Harris guy is a sort of a local metal legend here in Split, since he formed maybe the first black/thrash band in ex-Yugoslavia called "Evil Blood" in 1982. They were heavily influenced by Venom and were a shock to the audience of the day, since the majority didn't have access to information about the world hard'n'heavy scene...

Hope you'll enjoy the songs! :headbang:

They are missing what I am missing with all of present day thrash bands.

Speed, speed, more speed and some honest to god aggression.

When thrash metal entered the scene in the early 80d it was exciting because it brought a new level of speed and aggression.

Thrash bands these days most of the time just play a certain groove which to me has nothing to do with the thrash of that long gone by era. And because of that they bore the f**k out of me.

Just curious Hawk, what do you define by groove?

I mean in the context that Death Angel had groove, so it has Suicidal Tendencies. Now modern bands like Abandon and Brute Force may be highly melodic and lack agression, but certainly they don't groove in my years. On the other hand bands like Fuel By Fire and Evile (both debuts) tried to hard to be agressive, but they lack quality and grip.

What bands in particular do you had in mind?

@ SickBoy, I do like Hellion playing, but I wish a bit refined vocals. Still sounds thrash enough for me.

Yea, you are right I was a bit unclear. I meant a mid paced almost swinging tempo. Not the "groove" sound that Pantera made famous. A tempo were you can easy bang your head without hurting yourself. ;)

In any case I miss the speed and aggression of early Metallica, Slayer and the Antrax of "Fist Full Of Metal" and "Armed And Dangerous". Razor and early Whiplash might be good examples also.

Remember that when thrash started out there was this thing around called speed metal. A term that has gone out of fashion but was prevalent in that era. As far as I can remember the emphasis in early thrash was on speed/aggression feel more then what I hear now with what is called thrash.

I hope I make some sense. :)

Yea, you are right I was a bit unclear. I meant a mid paced almost swinging tempo. Not the "groove" sound that Pantera made famous. A tempo were you can easy bang your head without hurting yourself. ;)

In any case I miss the speed and aggression of early Metallica, Slayer and the Antrax of "Fist Full Of Metal" and "Armed And Dangerous". Razor and early Whiplash might be good examples also.

Remember that when thrash started out there was this thing around called speed metal. A term that has gone out of fashion but was prevalent in that era. As far as I can remember the emphasis in early thrash was on speed/aggression feel more then what I hear now with what is called thrash.

I hope I make some sense. :)

a) gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

b) Some thrash bands were indeed pretty agressive, specially Slayer. I never got into Anthrax debut, but "Spreading The Disease" sounds less thrash to me than their next two albums, but was indeed faster (Medusaaaaaa!), which leds me to...

c) yes indeed speed metal is usually faster and more in-your-face than some thrash (specially technical thrash). But the term IMO hasn't got out of fashion still applies to bands classic bands like Exciter or newer ones like Hellhound and Enforcer.