Some oldschool doom anyone ???

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
I just got this CD of KRUX a few days ago from a friend. Now I'm not that big into doom, I do like Candlemass and early Trouble alot though. And now there's KRUX. With the bassplayer from Candlemass and more members and ex-members of different bands. It's definatly oldschool based, no black or death metal influences luckely ...I like this CD (called simply "II" )alot, worth checking out !!!! "Pirates" is gonna be one of my favorit songs this year !!

Since you are putting this up here Carnut, let me recommend Sahg, whose debut album this year has proven to be a favorite for me. I'm not a huge doom fan either, though I do have a handful of CDs by doom-ish bands. But Sahg is just plain awesome. Kind of old-school Sabbathy, with nice modern twists. I really thought this album would take off like wildfire through this forum, but alas, I think I'm the only one into it....

Try Executioner Undead (on the myspace link below). Great stuff!

http://www.myspace.com/sahg

To support my own claim of not owning much doom stuff, they only thing I have from your list Necuratul is Pagan Altar. They are awesome though. I just have the first one...."Volume I" or what have you. I was addicted to it when I first got it though. Great stuff - and a highly underated band.

Two awesome (and very popular) doom bands are, of course, Solitude Aeternus and Candlemass. EWiz, you should seriously consider checking them out. In my view (and others may disagree), these two have more in common with Dio-era Sabbath than they do with Oz-era.
At the very least, they're both a combo of the two eras.

Two awesome (and very popular) doom bands are, of course, Solitude Aeternus and Candlemass. EWiz, you should seriously consider checking them out. In my view (and others may disagree), these two have more in common with Dio-era Sabbath than they do with Oz-era.
At the very least, they're both a combo of the two eras.

Actually, I only mentioned this in the hauls thread, but I picked up Candlemass on your recommendation a couple of weeks back (the recommendation was from long past....) It's awesome, just as everyone says, and now I'm just as put out by the fact that the singer is leaving as the other fans. I got the reunion one....just awesome.

I got my "Krux II" copy yesterday along with Trouble "The Skull" reissue and Saint Vitus "V".
Doom is one of my weakneses, but I'm very picky I love epic or classic/Sabbath based doom (not stoner). I don't venture into sludge, funeral or other types of doom.

Krux was one of my revelations bands for the 21st century with their debut. Of course having Leif Endling at the helm and Mats Leven (both from Abstrakt Algebra) together was simply a good omen and I was right, Krux delivers doom in an awsome way.

Oh man, old school sounding doom...here I go.

Place Of Skulls
Forsaken
Solstice
Orodruin

From the list Necu gave, I know the ones above, and own Forsaken and Solstice both great bands in the sub-genre. I have to check the others, and I must add to his list:

Thunderstorm (IT)
World Below
Well Of Souls
Pentagram
Last Chapter
Memento Mori
Memory Garden
Church Of Misery (more stoned oriented but quite digestable)

P.S. Indeed 'Pirates' is one hell of a song :headbang:

I think My Dying Bride will always be my favorite Doom band... no one's mentioned them as of yet so i'm glad i got to this time first before others...

To the thread starter: Check out Abstrakt Algebra, Leif is the main guy for that band as well and Mats of Krux is the vocalist.....slightly progressive traditional doom.
Memento Mori's first album Rhymes of Lunacy features Messiah on vocals and is an incredible record
Candlemass' Chapter VI is a very underrated album, i love it. Messiah doesn't sing on it but it still stands up to the rest of the catalog.
All this crying about Messiah not singing on the new Candlemass is too bad as he is not Candlemass. Proof is the Chapter VI album and From the 13th Sun which are much better than the recent Candlemass record.

To the thread starter: Check out Abstrakt Algebra, Leif is the main guy for that band as well and Mats of Krux is the vocalist.....slightly progressive traditional doom.
Memento Mori's first album Rhymes of Lunacy features Messiah on vocals and is an incredible record
Candlemass' Chapter VI is a very underrated album, i love it. Messiah doesn't sing on it but it still stands up to the rest of the catalog.
All this crying about Messiah not singing on the new Candlemass is too bad as he is not Candlemass. Proof is the Chapter VI album and From the 13th Sun which are much better than the recent Candlemass record.

I already have Abstrakt Algebra and Memento Mori (at least th ones with Messiah).

Is intersting your position regarding non-Marcolin albums since I have read they are less doom. But I know that Thomas Vikstrom sings in one of them is I'm not mistaken and that will be neat to check since I like his vocals a lot in Stormwind.

I like the old doom bands such as St Vitus, Pentagram, The Obsessed, Place Of Skulls, Trouble, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand (anything by Wino). I've never liked Candlemass! Cathedral & My Dying Bride are 2 new bands I'm trying out, so far I like both. I'll see if I can find some KRUX :)

I listened to "The Skull" yesterday and I found it more insteresting than "Psalm 9", still haven't check the DVD yet.

I had to add Doomshine to the new bands worth to check in the epic doom style.

I like the old doom bands such as St Vitus, Pentagram, The Obsessed, Place Of Skulls, Trouble, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand (anything by Wino). I've never liked Candlemass! Cathedral & My Dying Bride are 2 new bands I'm trying out, so far I like both. I'll see if I can find some KRUX :)

Which My Dying Bride albums do you have? I'm not crazy about Candlemass neither... i'm just not into high pitched operatic type of vocals....

I already have Abstrakt Algebra and Memento Mori (at least th ones with Messiah).

Is intersting your position regarding non-Marcolin albums since I have read they are less doom. But I know that Thomas Vikstrom sings in one of them is I'm not mistaken and that will be neat to check since I like his vocals a lot in Stormwind.

Thomas sings on CHapter VI. Chapter VI and From the 13th Sun are total doom and not at all far musically from Candlemass' take on it. From the 13th Sun has a bit of weirdness to it but is still very doomy on some tracks and rocking on others.
what type of music is Stormwind? You've piqued my interest now

I have their 2006 album. That's the only one I have. I really like it :) What albums do you have?

The ones that I like, recommend and have so far are:

1.Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (has some good songs especially the first one: The Wreckage of my Flesh)

2. The Angel and the Dark River (my 2nd fave probably)

3. The Dreadful Hours (probably my favorite one)

4. Like Gods of the Sun (have to give it a few more listens to grow on me)

5. Turn Loose the Swans (I don't have it but heard it's the best one, i'm looking for it though)

6. The Light at the End of the World (Same as #5)

The ones that I like, recommend and have so far are:

1.Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (has some good songs especially the first one: The Wreckage of my Flesh)

2. The Angel and the Dark River (my 2nd fave probably)

3. The Dreadful Hours (probably my favorite one)

4. Like Gods of the Sun (have to give it a few more listens to grow on me)

5. Turn Loose the Swans (I don't have it but heard it's the best one, i'm looking for it though)

6. The Light at the End of the World (Same as #5)

Thanks! I'll check out a few of those albums :)

Are you also a Paradise Lost fan?