Some ppl :/

Parasite said:
You agree that Opeth is worthless, yet your name is an Opeth song? I don't get it. /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
I agree that Opeth are one of the most over-rated bands on the planet(and Opeth fanboys come second to Tool fans as the most annoying people on the planet) and I agree that people tend to listen to the music fed to them instead of experimenting and discovering music before it gets the seal of approval from someone else. His means of expression are those of someone who was attacked for no reason, and is trying to defend himself in anger. But he definitely has a point.

Masters Apprentice said:
I agree that Opeth are one of the most over-rated bands on the planet(and Opeth fanboys come second to Tool fans as the most annoying people on the planet) and I agree that people tend to listen to the music fed to them instead of experimenting and discovering music before it gets the seal of approval from someone else. His means of expression are those of someone who was attacked for no reason, and is trying to defend himself in anger. But he definitely has a point.
1. All fanboys are stupid. ALL.
2. I disagree, a great deal of Opeth listeners are quite new to metal, the aren't fed Opeth, they choose it. It may be popular amongst metal, but it's still mostly unheard of elsewhere. So they hear a song on the radio, from there they have to seek it out (ie they aren't going to hear it again or find the CDs plastered in the local CD store), why would they do that? for image, to be cool? hardly... it's because they liked it. There is no other reason they would seek it out, so many people on here are metal listeners in complete solitude prior to finding these forums.

And your statement simply does not work when you take a look at the playlists of people on this forum for example. As elitist as people like to be, in the end almost everyone listens to stuff because they honestly like it. Almost everyone's favourite band or style of music is really the stuff they enjoy the most. Even pop/rap/whatever. You may not understand it or see it, but you don't have to.

They become Opeth fans because of all the music they've heard it is what they like the best. To say they are ignorant of better music is possibly a valid point, but is a negative thing against society, not against an individual. You can't be expected to find a needle in a haystack if you aren't even told a needle exists. Ignorance is only a worthy argument against an individual if they have been presented with the information.

YaYo said:
1. All fanboys are stupid. ALL.
2. I disagree, a great deal of Opeth listeners are quite new to metal, the aren't fed Opeth, they choose it. It may be popular amongst metal, but it's still mostly unheard of elsewhere. So they hear a song on the radio, from there they have to seek it out (ie they aren't going to hear it again or find the CDs plastered in the local CD store), why would they do that? for image, to be cool? hardly... it's because they liked it. There is no other reason they would seek it out, so many people on here are metal listeners in complete solitude prior to finding these forums.

And your statement simply does not work when you take a look at the playlists of people on this forum for example. As elitist as people like to be, in the end almost everyone listens to stuff because they honestly like it. Almost everyone's favourite band or style of music is really the stuff they enjoy the most. Even pop/rap/whatever. You may not understand it or see it, but you don't have to.

They become Opeth fans because of all the music they've heard it is what they like the best. To say they are ignorant of better music is possibly a valid point, but is a negative thing against society, not against an individual. You can't be expected to find a needle in a haystack if you aren't even told a needle exists. Ignorance is only a worthy argument against an individual if they have been presented with the information.

True, very true. I think the whole "listening to music to be cool" thing isn't really as common as people think it is. Back in my nu-metal days, I listened to bands like Linkin Park because I LIKED them. Until I got into real metal.....

No, I think you both have missed the point; it's not a case of listening to music to be cool. I have absolutely no doubt that people like the music they listen to, underground or mainstream. But some people only listen to music that gets promotion and press, be it from hype from metal community sites(like Opeth), general worldwide music press hype(like Metallica) or the top 40 charts(Linkin Park). There are bands out there making music that these people won't know of until someone tells them they're good, and I think that's what he's getting at. At least, that's what I got from it! Maybe he is just a close-minded elitist, which to be honest has exactly the same implications as only listening to known bands and artists.

Masters Apprentice said:
No, I think you both have missed the point; it's not a case of listening to music to be cool. I have absolutely no doubt that people like the music they listen to, underground or mainstream. But some people only listen to music that gets promotion and press, be it from hype from metal community sites(like Opeth), general worldwide music press hype(like Metallica) or the top 40 charts(Linkin Park). There are bands out there making music that these people won't know of until someone tells them they're good, and I think that's what he's getting at. At least, that's what I got from it! Maybe he is just a close-minded elitist, which to be honest has exactly the same implications as only listening to known bands and artists.
Oh yeh. Well you have a point there.

But there has to be a defining moment when you realise that the best music for an individual isn't necessarily the most popular music out there. I don't know if you can realistically expect someone to know that except from experience. Almost everyone starts off listening to popular music, listening to hype from the metal industry isn't a bad place to move from there, it's not like it's an easy genre to get into. I mean, you have to remember a lot of metal will sound absolutely terrible to people inexperienced in it, you've got to have some idea to what to spend the time trying to get used to.

There is a problem if people don't keep exploring and always digging deeper though, and there are of course people like that, but not worthy of a generalisation or anything. Such people exist everywhere in every style.

Yeah, I don't mind people who listen to mainstream music and I'll never attack someone for their musical tastes. But what it looked like to me in that topic, was someone giving their opinion on bands who are past thier prime but are still overlooked in favour of bands he likes which he finds unfair. People automatically assumed he's elitist and an asshole, when in reality most of those same people probably look down on those who listen to top 40 music. It's quite hypocritical, because at the end of the day in every genre of music comunnities there are elitists, and some of us are just further up the elitist ladder than others. Those who think they have an alternative or "cool" taste in music are usually the ones who react the worst when it becomes apparent someone likes more underground bands they are.

I like both mainstream and underground stuff, I enjoy my small underground bands that no one's heard of and get quite sad when they become popular(GYBE becoming popular broke my heart :()but I also like my mainstream stuff like Converge and Opeth, since more people are available to exchange my opinions with about them.

yourdeadgroom said:
Don't feed trolls /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

precisely.

and about that thread, I'm perhaps the only one who doesn't give a shit if music is complex or simplistic, if it's mainstream or by far the most underground music ever. If it appeals to my ears then I'll listen to it.

:) opeth aren't overrated.

Masters Apprentice said:
Yeah, I don't mind people who listen to mainstream music and I'll never attack someone for their musical tastes. But what it looked like to me in that topic, was someone giving their opinion on bands who are past thier prime but are still overlooked in favour of bands he likes which he finds unfair. People automatically assumed he's elitist and an asshole, when in reality most of those same people probably look down on those who listen to top 40 music. It's quite hypocritical, because at the end of the day in every genre of music comunnities there are elitists, and some of us are just further up the elitist ladder than others. Those who think they have an alternative or "cool" taste in music are usually the ones who react the worst when it becomes apparent someone likes more underground bands they are.

I like both mainstream and underground stuff, I enjoy my small underground bands that no one's heard of and get quite sad when they become popular(GYBE becoming popular broke my heart /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif)but I also like my mainstream stuff like Converge and Opeth, since more people are available to exchange my opinions with about them.
Some very good points there, but he is a lot worse than just trying to imply how much better he thinks his bands are.... if you noticed he would take the slightest thing to try and link it to mainstream (New Millenium Cyanide Christ by Meshuggah, Disposable Heroes by Metallica, both songs about ANGST in his opinion) and immediately that's bad. If those two songs are about angst, then there is nothing wrong with listening to angst because it can cover nearly everything the way he sees it. I don't see how NMCC could be considered angst, but its a whole lot different then Slipknot angst. So his whole "nearly everything is "mainstream" and I have to avoid it" view on music is not only stupid, but very closed minded.......

(btw.... I dont listen to GYBE, but why should them becoming popular have an effect on how you like the music? If they changed their sound, thats understandable.....and christ I just noticed this, but we are all talking about "popular" bands like GYBE.... its a little exaggerating.... I guarauntee less than .5% of people in my college know about them if I asked.... )

I felt like telling him to shut up about Messhugah myself, if you look at 90% of lyrics by metal bands, they are absolutely ridiculous. Oh look, Demon of the Fall by Opeth..they must be satanists!! :rolleyes:

My comment about Godspeed, well it's hard to explain but when I started listening to Godspeed back in 1999, the only album they had out was f#a#oo. No one had ever heard of them, and it was sort of like the special little band only I listened to(obviously there were others, but I had never met them), but ever since Lift Your Skinny Fists.. came out, they have been loads of peoples favourite band. They lost their speciality to me, but like I said, I wouldn't for a minute stop listening to them and they ARE my favourite band. But it does help prove my point that the majority of people take whatever is fed to them, as Godspeed have been making brilliant music since 1994, yet they've only exploded in the last 2 years.