Some pretty bad-ass technical thrash...... Havok - "Burn"

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I was on the PPUSA forum and happened to click on a link..... which honestly I don't do too much. There is a thrash band opening for Primal Fear that I have never heard of. They are called Havok and they freaking rip. If you like technical thrash these guy deliver and on top of that are a three piece band. Incredible musicianship !!

http://www.myspace.com/havok

Bryant

I like Havok´s "Burn". I consider it a very good album, quite technical like you said, and enjoyable.

However, I find the same problem with Havok like most of the other retro-thrash bands. If you´re young and start listening thrash metal that kind of bands are excellent ´cause you got aggression, easy listening stuff, clean productions (not better),... But if you are listening thrash metal since 20 years ago or so, they´re so unoriginal that is difficult listening these bands more than 5 or 6 times.

Anyway, HAVOK are among the best new bands, not as good IMO as Toxik Holocaust (not so new), National Suicide or Warbringer, but a good band that needs a little more personality.

I like Havok´s "Burn". I consider it a very good album, quite technical like you said, and enjoyable.

However, I find the same problem with Havok like most of the other retro-thrash bands. If you´re young and start listening thrash metal that kind of bands are excellent ´cause you got aggression, easy listening stuff, clean productions (not better),... But if you are listening thrash metal since 20 years ago or so, they´re so unoriginal that is difficult listening these bands more than 5 or 6 times.

Anyway, HAVOK are among the best new bands, not as good IMO as Toxik Holocaust (not so new), National Suicide or Warbringer, but a good band that needs a little more personality.

I actually sort of agree with you in one respect.... I thought I had "outgrown" thrash because in the late 80's - early 90's that is mostly what I listened to, but this band has breathed new life into thrash for my ears. I listened to three songs from the Warbringer Myspace page, but to me, the riffing wasn't near as technical and aggressive as what Havoc offers. I haven't heard the other two bands you mentioned though.

Bryant

Their drummer, Pete, joined Ravage (the band in my sig) last fall on their mostly ill-fated attempt at a do-it-yourself tour of the U.S. Pete filled in on last-minute notice when the previous drummer dropped out, and he did an awesome job during the set I saw with them. He even played a short but sweet drum solo...

He still shows on the Ravage roster (just checked their MySpace - yup, he's still there), so who knows if he's going to commit to Havok full-time or come back to Ravage. Any band who gets him will have a kick-ass drummer in their ranks! :yow:

They opened for Primal Fear last night. The drummer and bassist are off the fucking hook! They remind me of Slayer with a better bassist! I don't know if I'd buy the CD but they are good.

Check out their songs on their myspace page Sixx. One of their guitarists quit right before the tour, so I bet you would have said as much about the guitars as you did the bass and drums, if that jack-ass wouldn't have bailed. The musicians of that band are FUCKING MACHINES. The vocals are ok and they do borrow a few riffs, especially Slayer, but they make up their lack of originality with execution. I dare say, to be such a young band, they could become the torch bearers for thrash.

Bryant

Check out their songs on their myspace page Sixx. One of their guitarists quit right before the tour, so I bet you would have said as much about the guitars as you did the bass and drums, if that jack-ass wouldn't have bailed. The musicians of that band are FUCKING MACHINES. The vocals are ok and they do borrow a few riffs, especially Slayer, but they make up their lack of originality with execution. I dare say, to be such a young band, they could become the torch bearers for thrash.

Bryant

I'll check 'em out. The singer did say that their guitarist quit right before the start of the tour and they are a three piece for the time being.

That's exactly the buzz Evile created when they debuted at the scene... :D
I'll have to check these Havok guys out...

I have the Evile debut and I still don't like it much. Too raw and sloppy, and the second one was too bland and inconsistent. I rather go for Savage Messiah for new UK bands in thrash (and also Thrashist Regime :D).