Some questions for Glenn

EDVANTASIA

Mar 24, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Glenn, I just had a couple of questions. If you don't want to answer them; that's cool, they aren't important questions.

1. Does ProgPower get much media attention in Atlanta, for example Does the local Rock station talk about it, has the local newspaper ever done articles on the festival.

2. How do you think the quick sellout; for this show, is gonna affect future Progpowers. For example Bigger Venue? Maybe bring in more costly bands, like Stratovarius, Ayreon, Rhapsody, Rage? Will more bands actually pursue you, to play the show

3.Do any of these bands have a possible chance of being on any Progpower shows Lilitu , Archetype , Eterna

And let me just say. I know you have heard this a million times already, but ProgPower 3 is a dream come true. You have given me the opportunity to see bands, I thought I would never see live. I hope this show pulls in lots of cash, and insures more ProgPowers' for years to come. Thanks for your time.

1. The festival received no press at all in Atlanta the last time out. I have an actual PR Firm (Mazur PR) that I employ now so I hope that changes this year.

2. I will indeed be looking at a larger venue, but I will make no promises. I would rather have a sold out show in a first class place with a smaller crowd than shitty conditions on a bigger scale. As for bands, I 100% believe that I have opened some eyes in the scene and I will have a much easier time booking bands. I already have a very *nice* list of bands that are willling to fly in at the last moment in the event of any cancellation this year.

3. I'll be honest and say that it all depends on the type of talent that I can draw and afford as to how big the bands that I book for the opening slots. I will probably leave the opening slots available to the indy/smaller bands that deserve the recognition. In the meantime, there is always the pre-party on Thursday night.

Glenn

Originally posted by Harvester
I already have a very *nice* list of bands that are willling to fly in at the last moment in the event of any cancellation this year.

Glenn

A cancellation at this point would be soul shattering. I was excited to see Edguy at the NJ metalfest but they couldn't get their visa's sorted out and got stuck in Germany.

I hope the band managers are going to be diligent and get the visas etc well in advance...

With respect to Glenn's reply in Number 1, his statement that PPII received "no press at all" is extremely accurate. I live in Atlanta, and I found out about the festival from bravewords.com! I remember thinking at the time that I sure would have felt like a dumbass if I had missed the festival after it had been held in my own back yard.

With respect to Number 2, when Glenn feels the need to move up to a larger venue, I'll use this opportunity to start pleading my case for The Tabernacle!

With respect to EDVANTASIA's closing remarks, I couldn't agree more! I never thought I would have the opportunity to see most of these bands live, unless I made the pilgrimage to Europe. Many thanks to Glenn for bringing these bands to the States. Congratulations on the outstanding job you've done in bringing the festival to such prominence in a very short period of time!

Are you considering moving PP away from Atlanta? There are larger venues than Earthlink, but not nearly as good a place to play. The Tabernacle is somewhat larger, but does not seem as "fan friendly". There is The Dekalb-Atlanta Center. It has considerably more capacity, but is not as easy to get to as Earthlink or The Tabernacle. Bands sure sound good there though. My early vote is that you leave it here in Atlanta.

Are you considering moving PP away from Atlanta?

I will indeed begin to look for other venues in both Atlanta and other cities. However, as I have said in the past, I will not sacrifice quality for quanity. I would rather have a sold out show in a place like Earthlink than a half-empty arena with terrible facilities.

Glenn H.

Isn't though the Tabernacle smaller then Earthlink Live?

If Tabernacle was standing room only they say it would fit only 700, and it would be crampt as hell and hot....

The Tabernacle holds 2,500 people, which is well over twice the capacity of Earthlink.

Additional information, including production specs, etc., can be found here:

The Tabernacle

Here's the review from Digital City Atlanta:

"Once a peaceful church, The Tabernacle was originally revamped as a concert hall for the House of Blues during the 1996 Olympics. Every inch of the interior reflects a folk-art painting style, even the ceiling. Five levels allow you to really go exploring and to watch the concert from one of the two balconies or just to mill around on the main floor. The Tabernacle was voted the No. 1 venue in Atlanta by Rolling Stone magazine."

The Tabernacle would be great for 4.0. You could get off of the Marta train at two stations within walking distance from the venue. Food is available at the CNN Center food court. It seems logical. I just hope the Tabernacle does not fall apart before then. Ha! Ha!

More Tabernacle info.....It has been closed for an indefinite period due to a great deal of water damage. There is a hole in the roof and The Cotton Club (beneath the Tabernacle) had a lot of damage. There is speculation that it may not even re-open. If it is still around, that would be easier on Glenn. It solves everything. There are even rooms off to the sides where vendors could set up. I had forgotten about this. Keep it in Atlanta, Glenn. I know that you have to get through this one first and that this is all too far away to deal with. I just thought I would begin to lobby early...

The most recent information I have comes from Pollstar, dated July 9, 2002:

--The Tabernacle in downtown Atlanta will be closed for a week or more following a backstage flood.

A new truss was being installed in the club July 8 when something gave way and hit the sprinkler pole, according to Peter Conlon of Clear Channel, which owns the 2,500-capacity venue.

"It ended up opening a gravity-fill sprinkler which dumped a couple thousand gallons of water into the backstage area," Conlon told POLLSTAR. "But there's no long-term or structural damage. It's actually going to be rectified fairly quickly."--

zoltarcat, where did you hear that the Tabernacle has a hole in the roof and may not reopen?

I heard it from a local photographer, who said that the damage looks much worse than they are saying. I hope that he is wrong. He said that the Cotton Club had all of their equipment ruined by all of the water. I assume that since he went there to see the damage, he gave an accurate account. They do keep sending all of the acts booked over to The Dekalb-Atlanta Center. I hope he was just a little shocked and what I am hearing is based more on an emotional reaction than reality.

Does your friend mean that the Cotton Club may not reopen, or is your friend talking about the Tabernacle, or both?

By all accounts, it seems that the Cotton Club suffered the greatest damage. No disrespect to the Cotton Club, but I can live without it; I cannot, however, imagine a world with no Tabernacle!

I was aware that they were moving shows (from both the Tabernacle and Cotton Club), as the Geoff Tate show this past Monday night was moved from Cotton Club over to Masquerade.

As of now, Concert Southern Promotions is not reporting any additional shows being moved from either venue:

Concert Southern Promotions

However, if they do try to move the Dream Theater or Slayer/In Flames shows in August over to the Dekalb Atlanta Center, then I will be extremely disappointed (I personally despise the "D-A-C")...

Yeah, I personally hate the Cotton Club. Saw a concert there with GF and was just utterly disappointed with it. Hot, crampt, way way way way way to loud, and more. It just doesn't leave an idea setting for a concert to me.

Tabernacle I hope stays though...yes.

James, I am not entirely sure. My friend indicated that there was "major damage" to both. I would think it would be more The Cotton Club, being located beneath The Tabernacle. He said a lot of equipment was destroyed. He said there was a "hole in the roof" of The Tabernacle. Like I said earlier, this may have been an over-reaction on his part. He depends on these venues for a livelyhood, so he may have been looking at it from a business-loss angle. Peter Conlin seems to think they will both be back in operation very shortly. If they had good insurance, then he may be absolutely correct. If the building inspectors say it is structurally sound, then why not?
My wife used to work at the DAC. I think it is an all right place to see a band. I do not think the people who manage it know how to properly handle "real" rock bands. They are used to the band sharing a dressing area with cows, circus acts and everything else. They do not know any better. Ask the Cult's management how they felt about their show there. They may have gotten better by now, but Progpower should not ever be held there.
If I can find out any more info on The Tabernacle, I will let you know.

zoltarcat, thanks for the update; hopefully they'll get everything repaired. I guess we'll have a better idea in the next few days/weeks, as we see if they have to continue moving or cancelling shows.

It's funny that you specifically mention The Cult show at Dekalb-Atlanta Center. I went to that show, and that's when I vowed I would never return to that venue!