Some stats about this years "guess the roster" contest

longshot9

Feb 11, 2002
Murrieta, CA
Always think stuff like this is cool, so here's some stats on all the guesses from this years contest...

Top 10 bands guessed and the number of votes...

1. Kingcrow (33)
2. Falconer (30)
3. Amaranthe (24)
4. Symphony X (24)
5. Lost In Thought (22)
6. Pagan's Mind (22)
7. Devin Townsend (19)
8. Rhapsody Of Fire (19)
9. Cynthesis (17)
10. Eumeria (17)

There were 243 total bands picked, 16 less than last year.

Got 24 less participants than last year, so better odds ;)

120 bands only got 1 vote.

Of the 10 bands that got the most votes last year, only 2 were on the actual roster (Mob Rules and Labyrinth)

The bands that got the most votes in each specific time slot...

Friday:
1. Lost In Thought (10)
2. Triosphere (4)
3. Kingcrow (8)
4. Falconer (8)
5. Falconer (7)
6. Devin Townsend (6)
7. Symphony X (9)

Saturday:
1. Lost In Thought (7)
2. Kingcrow (7)
3. Kingcrow (5)
4. Heavenly (4)
5. Devin Townsend (6)
6. Symphony X (14)

Last year there was only 1 band announced that was not chosen by all the contestants (Creations End)... hopefully Glenn will give us this little hint again this year, i'm gonna send him a list of all the bands guessed this year in a few minutes.

First, let me thank John for all of the hard work he does in maintaining this contest. It's a labor of love for him so he deserves a round of applause. I will say that I know why there are less participants. Last year, we publicized the contest on Facebook. This year, I wanted to keep it within the family so to speak. This is the core of the festival.

Here are three things you need to know:

1. Two bands booked are not on that massive list John sent me. I'm surprised as hell at one omission and would have been surprised if the other was listed.
2. I still have one more slot to book. I've been working on it for a while and I'm holding out till the last minute if possible. The band is indeed on the list. However, the first potential back-up option is NOT. After that, I'd say I'll grab one off the list.
3. We have 14 bands with every damn one of them getting an hour next year. There are too many great bands that still haven't performed and not that many years left of the festival. It's time to make it count.

John will explain how the points for the contest will be adjusted.

First, let me thank John for all of the hard work he does in maintaining this contest.

thanks glenn :worship:

I'm surprised as hell at one omission and would have been surprised if the other was listed.
Intrigue.... :Smug:

I still have one more slot to book. I've been working on it for a while and I'm holding out till the last minute if possible. The band is indeed on the list. However, the first potential back-up option is NOT. After that, I'd say I'll grab one off the list.
More awesome teasers :headbang:

not that many years left of the festival. It's time to make it count.
:erk:. I just hope whenever PP ends, that it doesn't die and the reins get turned over to someone else. It's too amazing to stop completely. :cry:

Did anyone pick Royal Hunt with DC Cooper? I can't believe I forgot to put that on my list.

And yeah, I don't want to think about the end of this ride. It has been a central part of my life for ten years now.

There are too many great bands that still haven't performed and not that many years left of the festival. It's time to make it count.

If I win the lottery, would an infusion of $1,000,000 keep it going for a few years longer than planned?

HOUR slots - fucking A right

As for the 'longevity' of the festival...... fuck I know it's just the way things go. Even the best stuff doesn't last forever.

Hell me and my buddies, this will be our NINTH year in a row.... it's our annual pilgrimage where we leave all the work bullshit behind and head north to Atlanta for a great weekend.......

I understand that everything comes to an end...... but DAMN that will be a hard pill to swallow.

Just a testament to the amazing fest Glenn puts on every year.
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Does Pagan's Mind get tons of votes every year?

I swear, that band has played several times, but I think there's folks here who would be cool seeing them every year.

As for SymX, they tour regularly. The "special" factor of seeing them at a festival has waned. I love them. And their newest album is great. But there's really no need for them to be at ProgPower if they tour so often.

T

As for SymX, they tour regularly. The "special" factor of seeing them at a festival has waned. I love them. And their newest album is great. But there's really no need for them to be at ProgPower if they tour so often.

Considering that I haven't seen them in years because every time they are in town I have a schedule conflict of one sort or another, I have a vested interest in getting them back to ProgPower.

Anyways, no one complains about Evergrey or Kamelot playing the fest, despite the fact that they do tour the states on a regular basis.

Anyways, no one complains about Evergrey or Kamelot playing the fest, despite the fact that they do tour the states on a regular basis.

Kamelot, yeah, but Evergrey no. I mean they haven't been here for years and this will actually be their first headline tour, so it's not exactly the same thing. Plus, their set at PP will be different from the rest of the stops. Just saying...

We beat this discussion to death when I booked Hammerfall & Kamelot (with both touring that year), but I'll say it again. The days of the "exclusive" type headliners will be few and far between. There simply isn't much left that is either realistic in terms of cost or an actual draw for more than a cult audience. Times change and it's a different ball game than even five years ago.

There are 12 other slots for me to put exclusive type bands in that make sense and will draw our core, repeat audience.

The 12 other exclusive slots intrigue me more than the headliners. As you siad Glenn the exclusive headliners will be few and far between, Bands like WITHIN TEMPTATION, VOLBEAT, AVANTASIA, STAR ONE, would be exclusive but three of them would destroy the budget totally unless someone pledged a shitload of money for them($25,000 or more i suspect). So keep up with the exclusive 12 other slots. They are the most fun for me.

All bands getting at least an hour is pretty awesome. And again, speaking as someone from South Florida, I don't actually get to see many of these touring bands, so for me they are all exclusives. And even if I did see them, you can't compare seeing these bands in a club to seeing them at Center Stage.

I'm surprised Pretty Maids weren't on the "most guessed" list. I seem to remember them getting a lot of votes.

I really hope they are on the roster next year!:kickass: