Some White Lion....

Very underrated indeed. I'll be the first to admit there is some filler on Mane Attraction and Big Game, but Fight To Survive and Pride are pretty awesome. Pride was pretty sappy in a couple of places, but few bands had a groove like they did at the time. Vito was certainly a GOD, but James and Greg were actually pretty darned solid musicians as well. James was pretty busy trying to be prettier than Mike, but Greg actually played for Anthrax before joining WL.
What separated WL from pretty much other bands I heard at the time (not just the "hair" metal variety) was how Mike and Vito fed off of each other. There are not any examples I can think of a singer and guitarist that accent each other so well. It also helped that Mike could freaking sing his ass off live as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Game is one of the best guitar albums ever. Such a great album to take for a cruise in the summer and immerse yourself in Vito's brilliance.

Vito had one small problem in the fact that he took a chapter or two from the EVH book of playing guitar. Other than that, I put him among the greatest guitarists ever. Not just that his solos were awesome, but his rhythm work was also incredible and his acoustic playing was out of this world as well.
Vito was always able to play technical stuff, yet put his soul into it as well. Many guitarists have a hard time trying to balance emotics and difficult technique. Vito could do pretty much anything he wanted to with a guitar.

Bryant