Some work in progress - how is this guitar tone?

Just finished tracking this on Friday, so the mixing is pretty rough for now. Basically I'm experimenting with guitar tones to fit into the mix. How do you think these guitars sound?

I'm thinking about reamping tomorrow with fresh ears, but some feedback on these would be really cool. Im also unsure about the snare, any suggestions?

BTW guitars on this are 6505, green channel, pre gain on 2!!!

None The Less test

Also if anyone cares, here are some recording videos from the sessions:

STUDIO VIDEO DIARIES

That's green channel on 2? How? haha
Those settings sound completely clean on my amp. Do you have a pedal in front, or crunch switch on?

I feel like I hear a skip at 2:35
The mix sounss good though to me

Yeah I used a tubescreamer with the gain at about 3 o clock, so its driving the amp a bit harder than normal. Also the guitar had an EMG85 in the bridge.

Drums were tracked, the best 2 or 3 takes comped together into one 'master' take, a few bits beat detective'd (well logic equivalent). In the mix there is a sample mixed in with the snare, kick and toms, so you are hearing a bit of sample and a bit of mic.

There's quite a lot going on with the drums mix wise (triggers triggering gates, a couple of different reverbs etc. If you have any other questions I'll happily answer.

I'm thinking I might reamp 2 of the 4 guitar tracks with a tighter sound with more upper mids......anyone want to stop me?!?! hahaha

Well decided to reamp it, I think these guitar tracks are little but dark and undergained but not unusable. Just wasn't 100% on them so just decided to reamp.

This time its red channel

gain: just under 1
Bass: just under 7
Mids: just under 4
Highs: just under 5
Resonance: 8
Presence: 6.5

TS settings

Drive: 9 o clock
Gain: 1 o clock
Tone: 12 o clock

Ill get photos of the mic position if anyone wants it, and obviously clips are coming soon!

New mix - different song - eSnips

Soundclick link

OK guys, spent another day tiring out my ears on this one. The mix above is pretty fucking busy - getting onto 60 tracks here. Got quite a bit of automation going on too.

How does it sound? because there is so much going on, its quite hard getting the balances right. BTW I mastered it a bit too hot (only rough anyway), so sorry if there is clipping! hopefully there will be some more feedback soon....

photos coming soon!

New mix - different song - eSnips

Soundclick link

OK guys, spent another day tiring out my ears on this one. The mix above is pretty fucking busy - getting onto 60 tracks here. Got quite a bit of automation going on too.

How does it sound? because there is so much going on, its quite hard getting the balances right. BTW I mastered it a bit too hot (only rough anyway), so sorry if there is clipping! hopefully there will be some more feedback soon....

photos coming soon!

Sounds great. 60 tracks really ? WOW.

Guitar sound is ace. Drums lack a bit of a natural feel, they're a bit too clicky/sampled sounding and should be a tad louder..

Ant Song

Blowjob Song

Newer clips....what do you think?

I did quite a natural sound before with this band, and this time round they wanted a more metal sound so thats why its like that. That said, there is a surprising amount of natural mics in this mix.

16072008002.jpg

16072008.jpg

16072008001.jpg

EDIT: photo's up!

Didn't A/B the new versions with the older ones but the new ones sound perfect, and i'd still put some more "natural sounding" drums but the bit "metal-sounding" drums work fine and as you said it's an artistic choice from the band itself.

When i watched the video i was like "oh god another 16 year old metalcore'n'roll ripoff band" but now i think their stuff is pretty cool, even if it sounds a lot like they love 36 Crazyfists (nice influence though :) among others.

Your 5150 is possessed man. I don't know how you get any saturation with the gain below 1 even on the red channel, that's a clean sound on my 5150! Tracks sound fuckin' brilliant dude, your stuff is always awesome.

Cheers man! I have the gain on the amp just past the point where it sounds really thin and undergained. Bear in mind I had a healthy amount of boost from a tubescreamer (not necessarily the norm around here, but I like the effect it has).

I'd be surprised if no-one else's amp behaves like this as my amp is as it was straight from the factory....

Indeed, this is what im getting quite fustrated with, I can't get enough "in your face" top end to cut through a mix without much EQ and you know the more top end EQ = the more fuzz/fizz so im at a dead-end. Any advice?