Someone please help with a simple issue (recording)

amd123

Aug 18, 2009
Okay I have SF2.0 and Ableton Live. I wan't to record these 2 scenarios:
1. Guitar no Amp into a an Amp Sim like Voxengo's with Kefir Impulses:
2. Guitar into Peavey XXX combo into Ableton

I don't have a Mic, I don't have an Audio Interface. This week I did buy a Digitech RP155. It has a usb port to stream audio. I've tried downloading its drivers. So far no luck.

I've tried various signal paths:
1. Guitar into RP155, output cable from RP155 to my computer's mic port with a 1/8 adapter, this sounded horrible.

This didn't sound to good, and I realized I needed the USB drivers for the RP155. I got those and tried the following

2. Guitar into RP155, no output cable, USB into Ableton into Revalver. This sounded better only problem was I had to take the green input wire on my computer speakers and plug those into the headphone input on the RP155. It seems that I have to go into ableton and enable the Digitech RP155 as my main audio device, with this my computer speakers stop producing noise and I have to plug them into the RP155. After a while, i couldn't hear anything so I disconnected and tried the other setup and no luck >_>

Get an interface with an instrument port and you don't need the DI. Something like a Line6 Toneport or MBox would work on a budget.

Get an interface with an instrument port and you don't need the DI. Something like a Line6 Toneport or MBox would work on a budget.

why can't I use the digitech rp, I mean the manual/online ads did say you could use it to record audio.

Also if i get lets say an Mbox 2...do i need a pair of studio monitors? What i wanna be able to do is take an interface/my digitech rp and record my guitar and hearing it all using my computer's speakers as outputs.

592646.jpg

to hear the guitar and amp tone, wouldn't i need to plug in monitors into the out put of the interface?

Sounds like a driver issue... for some reason the Digi isn't talking to Ableton (which isn't really a good DAW to record audio to, I believe it's more for sampling and loops.) I would try Reaper and see if it works in a different DAW. If you still have trouble then I would suggest calling Digitech's tech support and maybe they can direct you in the right direction.

you can't use two audio devices at the same time. thus, the RP155 will act as your sound-card when you're using it to record. thus you need to plug your speakers into it (if you only have one cable connected to both speakers), or your headphones.

in the case of another interface (like an Mbox or the like), it will be the same situation. headphones or speakers (via headphone out) or monitors (via main outputs)