Something for the little lady

wwallinga

Working on #3
Jan 26, 2004
NH/ME Border
My wife of 3 years is NOT an Opeth fan. Her experiences of the band are limited to me listening to various albums while doing the dishes (do I rock or what?) And, while I have given time to Damnation (which she says sounds a lot like Pink Floyd), usually I am listening to a much heavier album, and that just scares her away.

So, (there was a point to this thread), I am putting together a "mix-cd" for her. Here is the track listing (in reverse order of release):

Windowpane
In My Time Of Need
Closure
To Rid The Disease
Ending Credits (Instrumental)
For Absent Friends (Instrumental)
A Fair Judgment
Harvest
Patterns In The Ivy (Instrumental)
Benighted
Face Of Melinda
Credence
To Bid You Farewell

QUESTIONS FOR THE PANEL:

1) How does this look? Am I missing anything? I couldn't justify putting anything from Orchid - no growling allowed for the little wifey!

2) Would anyone do this or has anyone done this already?

You might consider adding these into your wifey's mix...(The last two are more hard to find)
Prologue
Madrigal
Epilogue
Requiem
The Apostle in Triumph
Patterns in the Ivy 2
Still Day beneath the sun

And what about the other Damnation tracks: Death Whispered a Lullaby, Hope Leaves, and Weakness?

Best of wishes! :headbang:

Torenstain: I thought about Silhouette, mainly because it's the only appropriate song from Orchid, but there's something about it that doesn't catch my ear - too refined maybe.

Everyone Else: I don't have the BWP re-issue, so I don't have PITI2 or SDBTS.

AllWithin: I had balls - then I got married. They don't grow back. My wife keeps them in a little box for safe keeping. Thanks for rubbing my nose in it.

wwallinga said:
Torenstain: I thought about Silhouette, mainly because it's the only appropriate song from Orchid, but there's something about it that doesn't catch my ear - too refined maybe.

Everyone Else: I don't have the BWP re-issue, so I don't have PITI2 or SDBTS.

AllWithin: I had balls - then I got married. They don't grow back. My wife keeps them in a little box for safe keeping. Thanks for rubbing my nose in it.

lmao! I'm very sorry to hear that bro

Oh and you cant get the piti2 and sdbts off of kazaa like i did this saturday. I fucking love those songs. After you do this disc. Try another one with songs that have growls, but alot of clean parts. Like the moor and apostle in triumph

I agree with others Still day beneath the sun is a must.
You could always put Masters Apprentice after Weakness, and tell her to listen to it in bed whilst getting to sleep.

who cares if she dosn't like them, my girlfriend dosn't like most of the stuff i like, but ive recently managed to get her into the latest nevermore album, which is prety cool,

Rejvk said:
You could always put Masters Apprentice after Weakness, and tell her to listen to it in bed whilst getting to sleep.

That was how I first heard Masters.
It scared nine colours of shite out of me.

PS. Epilogue is essential man (much better to fall asleep to)

Ok I see most mellow tracks have been suggested. But if you wan´t her to dig the heavier stuff too I suggest: "The drapery falls" and "White cluster". These songs are not too heavy and both have awesome clean vocals from Mr. Åkerfeldt.

Rejvk said:
Master's is heavy indeed, but the drum thing in the very beginning of Wreath might sound even more extreme.