Something hopefully everyone can laugh at...

read it in the store...
WHORALCE

A master of progressive death metal or the "Gothenberg sound" practiced by many a Swedish band, In Flames delivers one of its best efforts with 1997's Whoracle. One extremely heavy number after another flows continuously from this record's track list, including standouts like the mind-bending "Gyroscope" and "Morphing Into Primal," just two of the original and extremely well-executed songs offered on this release. Indeed, some tracks are much better than others on Whoracle. Softer numbers like "Jester Script Transfigured," with its half-acoustic Metallica ballad vibe, could probably have been left off this otherwise powerful recording. There are also some rather unnecessary vocal histrionics, most notably on "Worlds Within the Margin," but this kind of overcooked "singing" really comes with the death metal territory. None of these sour notes manages to damage Whoracle, and the record has ultimately become accepted in the highly factional underground metal community as an important release not only for In Flames, but for the entire melodic death metal movement. ~ Vincent Jeffries, All Music Guide

So they should have left Jester script off, and worlds within the margin sucked
sounds like it was written by a ten year old that loves slipknot

I think the review is a decent review however I think the reviewer is not a an expert on metal or the album or band. This is where the review fails i believe.

I do disagree about some things but It is a genuine review.

HAS NO DICK!!!! I hope it was cut off by his ex girlfriend who was probably a Blink 182 fan! I hope he rots and has his testicles jabbed with pitch forks by little midgets who sing KUMBAYA all day. :err:

Well...Stanne's vocals were so high-pitched...I cans ee how someone who was slightly misinformed or just didn't care enough to know the difference could mistake it for black metal.

Although they may not be the Testament of their scene
:D

I am a fan of Testament, and would say they are a very underated band. No one talks about them any more. Even back in the day, Testament never hit the popularity of Metallica or Megadeth. I would say that In Flames is one of the most popular bands from Sweden, up there with Opeth and Katatonia.

I like how they compare them to Dimmu Borgir, Norway, and Emperor, also Norway. I don't even know what to classify In Flames as, but it sure is not black metal. I guess Swedish Metal, but I feel that is a really broad title to put all the bands in from Sweden.

Also thought it was funny that The Inborn Lifeless is the last track on Subterranean. Funny how my original pressing of the album on Wrong Again Records is missing a 6th and 7th track. Too bad Barnes and Noble doesn't have the "import" version of the album with the 18th track of the In Flames cover of "Eye of the Beholder" by Metallica. I wonder if the review would have thought that was on the original pressing of Subterranean?

Anyways, enough bitching about the review. I did find it funny that this person knows a lot about music! However, how many of you like Lunar Strain more than Subterranean? 'Cause I really thought Subterranean was a much better album.