Something serious......

I don't download anything instead of buying an album... I've only downloaded a couple of songs and that was how I got in to swanö from the beginning. Thanks to downloading I've bought all swanö releases I've found.

I very rarely download songs off the Internet. If it's an artist I know and like, then I usually know what I can expect from him. My girlfriend and I are both big Swano fans so we ordered Alive Again as soon as TheEndRecords.com had it available. We've heard all three Nightingale records and love them so we knew AA wouldn't disappoint.

Then there are Swano projects out there that are hard to find. I personally couldn't find the Unicorn and Odyssey albums so I contacted Dan and got copies from the man himself.

On the other hand, don't look at the Internet as if it were a place that allows people to steal others' works. Without the Internet, Dan would have much less fans to begin with. I personally would have never found out about him. About 95% of the bands I listen to I discovered on the net. It's a great thing. Some people don't realise that and always criticise the negative sides of it.

That said, I definitely do agree that one, if he's a fan of the artist, should pay the 10 bucks and buy the original disc -- cause they need the support. Even if the die hard fans go for the easy way downloading everything then how can we expect the artist to survive? I know of many musicians who were so disillusioned with the music business and online services who felt they weren't getting what they deserved, thus turned their backs and walked away. I don't want to see Dan doing that. So I consider it my duty to support him, buying the stuff he puts out.

But we can't ignore the importance of mp3's and burnt discs either. They're a good medium to check out new bands. We can't pay for each and every band's album, but we can always borrow them from a friend or get them burnt in order to initiate acquaintance. And if we like them and are willing to support them we will end up buying the original stuff anyway.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

NP: Eternity X - The Edge

Mezarkabul said:
On the other hand, don't look at the Internet as if it were a place that allows people to steal others' works. Without the Internet, Dan would have much less fans to begin with. I personally would have never found out about him. About 95% of the bands I listen to I discovered on the net. It's a great thing. Some people don't realise that and always criticise the negative sides of it.

Well the whole thing with stealing music and sales going down is an RIAA myth. The RIAA claims that sales have gone down steadily since the invention of napster. That is a half-truth. Their sales have gone down, yes, but the sales for non-major labels have gone UP, way up, because all these bands (for example i had no idea who dan swano, or 80% of the bands i listen to, was before the internet) are now getting exposure where they werent before.

i agree, the internet is a great place to discover bands. where i live, tv and radio hardly ever play anything worth listening to, but if i go online, i can find all kinds of great music just by searching a few sites. i found Swano on the internet and i'm really glad that i did! almost all the bands i listen to, i would never have known about without the internet.