SONATA ARCTICA - Stones Grow Her Name

One year from now, we will all be going , "Oh, completely forgot Sonata Arctica had a new album last year"
Just what has happened with most 90s bands.

I mean, not many speak regularly of last year's HammerFall or Strato............
(though the Strato was decent, only a minor downturn from the amazing Polaris)

One year from now, we will all be going , "Oh, completely forgot Sonata Arctica had a new album last year"
Just what has happened with most 90s bands.

I mean, not many speak regularly of last year's HammerFall or Strato............
(though the Strato was decent, only a minor downturn from the amazing Polaris)

:lol:

Hey, it could be worse. People could be saying "Oh, completely forgot (insert 80s band here) existed!!!"

Happens just as much as what you said happens to 90s bands... lol

I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed the turn they made with Unia. As much as I love the older stuff, Unia has become my favorite SA album (and I thought nothing could dethrone Reckoning Night). And I like Days of Grays a lot; Zeroes - one of their most bizarre songs - is one of my favs.

SA remains a blind buy for me and I'll pick this one up as soon as it's out. I have no doubt I'll enjoy it.

The tracklisting:

'Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)'
'Shitload of Money'
'Losing My Insanity'
'Somewhere Close To You'
'I Have A Right'
'Alone In Heaven'
'The Day'
'Cinderblox'
'Don't Be Mean'
'Wildfire II'
'Wildfire III'

FYI, I am seeing numerous people online saying that Losing My Insanity is "an old song Tony wrote for Ari Koivunen's first album". Not sure if that's true, but here's the song in question:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SKr90VU5k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SKr90VU5k[/ame]

They just released a teaser of the album:

Last edited by a moderator:
I defend this band a lot more than others, but I'm gonna be perfectly honest...those samples sound truly awful.
Clean out your ears, Junior. :lol::lol: If the samples are any indication, that is gonna be one hell of a CD. I have been listening to a lot of Unia and Days of Grays lately and I find them getting better with each release. Those two CDs are on speed dial on my BlackBerry. This CD will probably join them.

Actally, the sound samples don't sound too bad. Plenty of guitar crunch and hooks and harmonies. I admit I get a bit burned out on all songs being played 100 mph, so perhaps the change is good.
Their lyrics have always been pretty bad, but when it comes to Sonata Artica, I never pay attention to the lyrics, because then it would take away from the enjoyment of the music.

Half the samples sound good, and the other half I'm not so impressed. I'll check it out when it comes out, but don't have the highest hopes.

Track #05. "I Have A Right" from the upcoming CD “Stones Grow Her Name” (release date May 16. 2012 in Finland, May 18, 2012 via Nuclear Blast, in Germany) played live at the Power Prog & Metal fest at Mons, Belgium, on the 7th of April. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to the whole album this morning. Still need to digest it more, but I'm not super impressed by any means. Some songs aren't bad, others are all bad. Need more time with this, though I'm not sure much of my opinion will change. We'll see.