Sonata Arctica to film live dvd

I've never seen Sonata Arctica, But that changes May 1st. They are playing in Raleigh, NC and I'll be there!!

Enjoy it! I've seen them about 8 times now, and the only bad one was ProgPower USA (they sucked that night).

Hopefully they'll do better than they did in NY recently, I heard that was also a very bad show, with Tony drunk and all.

Hopefully they'll do better than they did in NY recently, I heard that was also a very bad show, with Tony drunk and all.

This is just speculation, but it seems more likely he was ill. Tony has a history of sucking it up and performing even when he's sick. Heck, they even recorded Sounds of Silence with him having really bad flu.

I saw them at the Worcester show. I dig TDoG, so I really loved the setlist, and they played really well... but one thing that worried me was Tony's between-song banter. Unlike the simple song announcements he did when I saw them at Hartford last October, he had these lengthy introductions wherein he kept losing his train of thought and wound up rambling -- when he was trying to announce "Paid in Full", my first thought was admittedly, "Is he drunk?" He was superb while singing, though, and was perfectly cordial and extremely social with fans after the show, so I'm really not sure whether it was nerves, drunkenness, sickness, or just something new he tried that fell flat.

Akumu, interesting observation. I can see how someone might think his song introductions on this tour = drunk. We had the same introductions in St. Paul and I can assure you he was completely sober. I just took it as him really opening up to the audience for the first time (especially during his emotional explanation for why he wrote The Last Amazing Grays). At one point during our show he even acknowledged he was rambling and cut it short to get on with the song. I think he was trying something new.

Akumu, interesting observation. I can see how someone might think his song introductions on this tour = drunk. We had the same introductions in St. Paul and I can assure you he was completely sober. I just took it as him really opening up to the audience for the first time (especially during his emotional explanation for why he wrote The Last Amazing Grays). At one point during our show he even acknowledged he was rambling and cut it short to get on with the song. I think he was trying something new.

That's what I think as well. I doubt he was drunk. He seems to care too much to let himself get drunk for a performance.

And it's been postponed until February 2011:

09/01/2010 DVD Show in Milan to be postponed to February 27th, 2011

SONATA ARCTICA regret to inform their Italian fans that the announced show in Milan at the Alcatraz on September 30th, 2010 needs to be postponed.
Reason: while doing his daily exercise routine Elias Viljanen (guitar) broke his right hand. Due to this accident he will not be able to play guitar for the next 5 or 6 weeks.
The new date for the show will be now Sunday, February 27th, 2011 also at the Alcatraz. Of course all tickets for the show September 30th remain valid for the new date.

Sonata Arctica comment:
"It was pretty shocking to hear from Elias about his accident. We are really sorry we need to postpone the show to a later date and want to excuse for any inconveniences this might cause to our fans in Italy and to all fans who had made travel plans from around the world. We really hope to see you all again in February at the Alcatraz".

Via http://www.bravewords.com/news/166623

"Finnish metal wolves SONATA ARCTICA are howling again - namely in the form of a new live DVD. Live In Finland showcases the full concert which was played on April 15th, 2011 at Club Teatria in Oulu, Finland.

SA.jpg

Apart from timeless classics a la 'Full Moon' or 'Letter To Dana', various tracks of the current album The Days Of Grays have found their way into the setlist, thus on the DVD as well. This heady mixture of old and new compositions is supplemented by a bonus DVD on which four recorded tracks of the very own Sonata Arctica festival can be found that took place on August 8th, 2009 in Kemi.

Furthermore, the viewer can enjoy the music videos of 'Don't Say A Word', 'Paid In Full' and 'Flag In The Ground' as well as a photo gallery and some making-ofs that document the DVD's creation. The enclosed bonus CD with eight audio recordings of the festival concert gives the final touch to this release.

Keyboardist Henrik Klingenberg states: "It's been a very hot summer here in Finland, and while most people headed to the beach, we've been working our asses off editing and compiling our new DVD. This time around we wanted to give you a show from our homecountry Finland. The main show was filmed at the Teatria Club in Oulu, Finland, last April. It showcases Sonata Arctica towards the end of the Days Of Grays World Tour which started back in 2009.

We played a total of over 180 shows in almost 40 countries during the tour. This will be a double-DVD release with lots of bonuses, we'll have tour documentaries, making-ofs as well as music videos and bonus songs from our very own Sonata Arctica Open Air festival, held in our hometown Kemi in August 2009. Whether you missed us or checked us out during this world tour, this DVD will be the complete guide to what we've been up to these past two years. I'm sure you all will enjoy watching this DVD as much as we've enjoyed making it. The Days Of Grays World Tour has been absolutely fantastic and I'm very happy that we've managed to capture all the ups and downs on film. You'll know what I'm talking about when we get this monster package out!"

Sonata Arctica - Live In Finland, will be released October 28th. "