Song Cycles

Edd037

Dec 5, 2010
I don't know if its just me, but a lot of Redemption's songs seem to follow on from one another.

For example

Sapphire, Memory and Love Kills Us All/Life In One Day are about the feelings of coming to the end of a relationship.

I also think that Keep Breathing is a kind of sequel to Parker's Eyes (it even alludes to singing a "song about your eyes" in the first line).

Are there any other possible links between songs that people have noticed?

Yep, I think you are absolutely right with your point. The Parker's Eyes and Keep Breathing are actually about feelings that parents find towards their loving children.

While both Sapphire and Memory clearly bring feelings of ''something coming to it's end''. I would say that Life In One Day bring feelings of realizing the importance of a relationship/feeling toward someone, when you were just close to loose it.

So, there are clearly alot of things that sort of follow each other in different Redemption albums!:) (Great albums;)

One thing is sure.. Redemption is ''thinking man's music'' and it's never a shame to play them to all kind of people who appreciate the lyrics.

I like to think of Sapphire, Memory, and Love Kills Us All/Life In One Day as a trilogy, but I haven't been able to come up with a good name for it yet... Anyway, yeah, Keep Breathing is a sequel of sorts to Parker's Eyes. They're both about Nick's daughter, Parker anyway. Of course Nick could confirm this if Mickey Mouse didn't have him chained to his desk...

Thanks again for your continued interest, guys! Mickey has let me out from underneath his iron fist just long enough to respond to a couple of recent posts.

With respect to song cycles, as has been cited by a couple of people, Sapphire, Memory and Love Kills Us All are all related. You can obviously, for example, hear the Sapphire melody in the Memory guitar solo; similarly the outro lyrics "And I don't want the emptiness" from LKUA are from the Memory chorus.

A name for this cycle? To quote a favorite obscure movie, Rounders: "In the poker game of life, women are the rake." :)

The other song cycle consists of Parker's Eyes, Fall On You (nobody got this yet, seemingly) and Keep Breathing. They are all about my daughter. It is a sad irony that her eyes, which were a metaphor for innocence in the first song, are a medical problem for her (which is the subject of Keep Breathing).

Nick, glad to see you back in on the forum! The dichotomy of Mickey's iron fist is too funny! Being in Dallas, the chances of me hitting ProgPower is next to nil, so I still have my fingers crossed for another live recording.

I can't believe I missed Fall On You. I knew Keep Breathing was about Parker. But I guess if you're not necessarily looking for it, you just get caught up in the music and the raw emotion of it all, not just lyrically. I say that, even though the lyrics of songs like Black and White World are so incredibly powerful, not only because of the building crescendo but the lyrics.

Hoping to one day see you guys in Dallas again (was 8th row center when you opened for DT). I keep spreading the word, especially to non-metalheads, as I feel the music transcends musical boundaries and specific genres.

How could I miss Fall On You? Now it seems so obvious, and I always wondered who the song was about. D'oh!

Thanks for the info, Nick. :kickass:

EDIT: Oh yeah, as for the title of the song cycle: It's a tad long. How about "The Poker's Rake Trilogy"? :D

And lastly, I believe you still have the original lyric from Memory stuck in your head. :)

Thanks again for your continued interest, guys! Mickey has let me out from underneath his iron fist just long enough to respond to a couple of recent posts.

With respect to song cycles, as has been cited by a couple of people, Sapphire, Memory and Love Kills Us All are all related. You can obviously, for example, hear the Sapphire melody in the Memory guitar solo; similarly the outro lyrics "And I don't want the emptiness" from LKUA are from the Memory chorus.

A name for this cycle? To quote a favorite obscure movie, Rounders: "In the poker game of life, women are the rake." :)

The other song cycle consists of Parker's Eyes, Fall On You (nobody got this yet, seemingly) and Keep Breathing. They are all about my daughter. It is a sad irony that her eyes, which were a metaphor for innocence in the first song, are a medical problem for her (which is the subject of Keep Breathing).

To be completely honest, I KNEW that Fall On You was lyrically around the same ''parents and children'' subject with the two other songs mentioned. Nobody just mentioned it when talking about the cycle, so I didn't either!:D

Btw, (offtopic) any of you going out to see Arch / Matheos live this weekend? I didn't manage to see them in Europe, but the vids are slowly coming out now on youtube, and they are amazing. John Arch is still God as he was back in 80th!:devil:

Nick, you have already LaBrie as guest vocalist on one song,, what about John Arch next?:p