My Dream Setlist

beowulf1969

Aug 21, 2011
Since the majority of us didn't get to see the Snowfall tour, and we have not heard the HIGHLY anticipated "This Mortal Coil", I've put together my dream setlist for the Snowfall tour that didn't get to happen. Granted, I have seen the setlist from the Whisky shows. But this is my setlist, what I'd like to hear, based on a traditional 100 minute show or so (this turned out to be about 109 minutes).

What do you think? Would you change the order? Change the list? I know there are a slew of great show-openers, so I just went with one that would-- I think-- really set the scene for the rest of the show.

1. Peel
2. Memory
3. Suffocating Silence
4. Parker's Eyes
5. Walls
6. Fall On You
7. Blind My Eyes
8. Unformed
9. Sapphire
10. Scarred
11. Threads

encore 1:
12. Black and White World

encore 2:
13. Love Kills Us All/Life In One Day
14. Origins of Ruin (without drums, just a stripped-down version of a stripped-down song), as an "impromptu" low-key finale.

What do you think?

That is a great setlist. I'm going to see Redemption in London in October. I know they are touring in support of the new record, but I really hope their setlist also contains lots of songs from their previous albums (especially as I think it is their first European tour).

For old songs, I'd like to hear

Threads
Parker's Eyes
Suffocating Silence
Memory
Black and White World
Life In One Day

Glad you like it. You'll have to let us know how the new tour/setlist, etc., is, as they are hitting the UK and Europe long before we get to see them back here in the States. Hell, there aren't any firm US dates yet to speak of.
Any idea who they're touring with there, or is it part of a multi-act prog festival?

They are touring with Kingcrow but also playing the Prog Power Europe festival with bands including Symphony X, Seventh Wonder and DGM.

Thanks for the info. Aside from Symphony X, I'm not familiar with the others. I'll have to check them out.

I'd like to hear Snowfall On Judgement Day in it's entirety, especially Leviathan Rising. The whole
album is outstanding. As are Redemption. Can't wait for the new album and tour! Add the first half
of The Fullness Of Time and that's my dream setlist.

Beowulf, check out Seventh Wonder. Another excellent band.

Thanks, King. I just got some 7th Wonder. Haven't had the chance to listen yet. Have you heard the new Redemption track on YouTube? Its incredible!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a guy who knows a guy who knows... you get the idea. It was from a promo for review.
I would actually wait until release day, since some of the lucky few to have heard this promo agree that the mix isn't the same clean, crisp mastering as Snowfall.

Have you ordered yours yet? I know I have!!

I'm working on a new setlist for the upcoming tour. Just for grins.
But I'm having a hard time not only on what to cut from my previous list, but what to add. The new album is solid.
But I'm working on it.

Okay, I've re-worked my "dream setlist" to include some of the tracks on the new album. This was hard to do! Considering how many songs I'd like to hear live. But... I think this would make one HELL of a show!

...start of like a rocket with...
1. No Tickets To The Funeral
...then blast straight into....
2. Stronger Than Death
...then settle into the set with...
3. Parker's Eyes
4. Fall On You
5. Perfect
6. Blind My Eyes
7. Begin Again
8. Scarred
9. Dreams From The Pit
10. Peel
...then encore 1...
11. Black and White World
...then encore 2...
12. Love Kills Us All/ Life In One Day
13. Origins of Ruin
...this would be the "stripped down" I mentioned originally.

That would be a HOT show :hotjump:. I found it very difficult to have to cut certain tracks on the new album (as well as the others) to keep within a realistic total running time. But I think this works pretty well; has a decent flow.

Any thoughts?

Okay, I've re-worked my "dream setlist" to include some of the tracks on the new album. This was hard to do! Considering how many songs I'd like to hear live. But... I think this would make one @#!*% of a show!

...start of like a rocket with...
1. No Tickets To The Funeral
...then blast straight into....
2. Stronger Than Death
...then settle into the set with...
3. Parker's Eyes
4. Fall On You
5. Perfect
6. Blind My Eyes
7. Begin Again
8. Scarred
9. Dreams From The Pit
10. Peel
...then encore 1...
11. Black and White World
...then encore 2...
12. Love Kills Us All/ Life In One Day
13. Origins of Ruin
...this would be the "stripped down" I mentioned originally.

That would be a HOT show :hotjump:. I found it very difficult to have to cut certain tracks on the new album (as well as the others) to keep within a realistic total running time. But I think this works pretty well; has a decent flow.

Any thoughts?

Really like this setlist although entitled as we are to our opinions LOL I would replace Fall On You for What Will You Say? and Focus instead of Perfect... I think too Origins Of Ruin would make for a super intro to a show instead of a finish and to finish a Coil show how could I go past Pale Horse!?:headbang:

I like it. Granted, everyone wants to hear slightly different songs. But trying to get all the songs you want to hear into a 100 minute or so setlist is harder than it looks!

Then again, there is no news of a US tour, so we may have to dream of a setlist anyway! They had better be working on tour dates!! I have all my fingers crossed. And my toes. Though that does make it harder to type and walk.:zombie:

I keep editing this damn list, but I think I finally got it right:

1. The Suffocating Silence
2. No Tickets To The Funeral
3. Nocturnal
4. Black And White World
5. Threads
6. Keep Breathing
7. The Origins Of Ruin
8. Let It Rain
9. Walls
10. Used To Be
11. Dreams From The Pit
12. Scarred
13. Stronger Than Death
14. Leviathan Rising

Encore
15. Sapphire
16. Memory
17. Love Kills Us All/Life In One Day

Encore 2
18. The Fullness Of Time - Parts I-IV

Encore 3
19. The Death Of Faith and Reason

I like it, Zook. That would be an AMAZING show! An Evening With... would be fantastical, but its rather long though, eh? Have you timed this?

3. Nocturnal
4. Black And White World
5. Threads
6. Keep Breathing
7. The Origins Of Ruin
8. Let It Rain
9. Walls
10. Used To Be
11. Dreams From The Pit
12. Scarred
13. Stronger Than Death
14. Leviathan Rising

Encore
15. Sapphire
16. Memory

Encore 2

Encore 3

Just add Peel somewhere in there to make it an even 20 songs. WHAT A SHOW!!!

:kickass:

Well, let's have some fun. Here's some insight from the horse's mouth.

SPOILER ALERT

Done!

A strong contender.

3. Nocturnal

Done. Perhaps overdone?

4. Black And White World

A pleasure to perform and relatively new for us so no burnout yet. :)

5. Threads

Hard to imagine anything displacing this as our opener.

6. Keep Breathing

Possible. Stylistically very similar to Fall on You so if we add KP, we would probably drop FoY even though they could also form a "suite" of sorts.

7. The Origins Of Ruin

Went over like a lead balloon in London. Unlikely to do this one again.

8. Let It Rain

I am frightened of ballads in live settings -- concerned we'll lose too many people. Admit it -- when you go to an Iron Maiden show and they start playing a long-drawn out song with ballady elements, that's when you hit the bathroom. :)

See Black & White World.

10. Used To Be

A possibility, though strikes me as kinda deep catalog.

11. Dreams From The Pit

A lot of fun to play -- quite difficult so we have to keep our chops up for this one.

12. Scarred

Have discussed it -- major chops. We need to add a second song from Fullness to the set, though, I think.

13. Stronger Than Death

I don't want to comment on this one.

14. Leviathan Rising

In the set, kind of a pain to play, was thinking of retiring it, to be honest with you. How horrified would you be if it got retired?

Encore

15. Sapphire

This is an EXCEEDINGLY hard song to perform for all of us, particularly Ray because this is unrelenting vocally and there is a lot of very high range here. It's not a popular one to discuss at rehearsal.

16. Memory

In the set list, we enjoy performing it.

You are an astute observer, recognizing the "suite-ness" aspect of these three pieces. However we're now talking about almost 40 minutes of music in three songs about different perspectives on relationships...might be deemed a bit self-indulgent to inflict that on anybody.

Encore 2

Around this time Ray has to be choppered out to a hospital...

Encore 3

A fun way to end the set...keep thinking we could change it out but I can't come up with anything better to replace it!

As for Peel, could be a good potential opener but I so enjoy Threads...hmm...

SPOILERS!

Not liking this quote system... Anyway:

Nocturnal:
Done. Perhaps overdone?

I just wanted to include something from the first album, Nocturnal being the best choice. It could probably go though.

Black and White World:
A pleasure to perform and relatively new for us so no burnout yet. :)

Good, I need to see this live.

Threads:
Hard to imagine anything displacing this as our opener.

It's MY dream setlist so MY rules! ;)

Keep Breathing
Possible. Stylistically very similar to Fall on You so if we add KP, we would probably drop FoY even though they could also form a "suite" of sorts.

Hmmm, could be a job for Audacity...

The Origins Of Ruin:
Went over like a lead balloon in London. Unlikely to do this one again.

That sucks. I don't have a problem with ballads at live shows... of course, I can't remember if I ever saw a ballad like TOoR live. I think Disturbed played Darkness at one of their shows I went to years ago...

Let In Rain:
I am frightened of ballads in live settings -- concerned we'll lose too many people. Admit it -- when you go to an Iron Maiden show and they start playing a long-drawn out song with ballady elements, that's when you hit the bathroom. :)

Well I'm actually frightened of using the bathroom at live shows 'cause I don't want to lose my spot if I'm in General Admission, but I stick around throughout the whole show. If I had seats and Dream Theater played Prophets of War, I might take the opportunity. As for Maiden, I've only seen them once, but even songs like No More Lies got me excited.

Used To Be:
A possibility, though strikes me as kinda deep catalog.

I don't care. If you don't play this I'll eatcha chilgen.

Dreams From The Pit:
A lot of fun to play -- quite difficult so we have to keep our chops up for this one.

Start practicing in the shower, toilet and dinner table like John Myung.

Scarred:
Have discussed it -- major chops. We need to add a second song from Fullness to the set, though, I think.

See above.

Stronger Than Death:
I don't want to comment on this one.

Not a problem.

Leviathan Rising:
In the set, kind of a pain to play, was thinking of retiring it, to be honest with you. How horrified would you be if it got retired?

It wouldn't be the end of the world. Maybe Peel could take its place.

Sapphire:
This is an EXCEEDINGLY hard song to perform for all of us, particularly Ray because this is unrelenting vocally and there is a lot of very high range here. It's not a popular one to discuss at rehearsal.

I think Iced Earth are selling that "Don't be a Pussy" poster now. :saint:

Memory:
In the set list, we enjoy performing it.

:headbang:

Love Kills Us All/Life In One Day:
You are an astute observer, recognizing the "suite-ness" aspect of these three pieces. However we're now talking about almost 40 minutes of music in three songs about different perspectives on relationships...might be deemed a bit self-indulgent to inflict that on anybody.

Not at all. You're a prog metal band. Fans like long songs, and I can't imagine these songs not being favorites. I can't really relate to the subject matter, but these 3 are my favorites, and you should just do a one off show in Phoenix cause I said so. :Smokedev:

The Fullness Of Time:
Around this time Ray has to be choppered out to a hospital...

:lol:

The Death Of Faith And Reason:
A fun way to end the set...keep thinking we could change it out but I can't come up with anything better to replace it!

yeah, it's perfect.