Song or Albums with emotional impact

Really fantastic interpretation of the piece. Very moving, rich in depth and so passionate. Just close your ears, listen to it and let it bring you to tears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Buckley's "Grace" is an album that never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
Ulver's "Shadows of the Sun". Beautiful ambient music

Buckethead's "A Real Diamond in the Rough".
I know you may be thinking "WTF Buckethead?" but it's actually more of an ambient rock type thing rather than his quirky madness. Really great for a chilled out listening session.

Really love Opeth's "Damnation" but I would be surprised to hear if anyone of you guys DON'T own a copy of it. Wonderful album.

Another vote for Agalloch's "The White" EP.

As far as metal goes :

Katatonia's "Night is the New Day" is probably my favorite metal album of the previous decade (ironically it's not even that 'metal' haha). Jonas' vocal performance is so perfect it's ridiculous. Probably the most emotional vocal performance in metal ever, for my money. It's just so genuine, soulful and powerful that you can't help but just be incredibly moved by it.
Same goes for everything else about the album really. Just so deep and powerful.
It doesn't really have many hooks/catchy moments unlike The Great Cold Distance and it's also a lot more complex as far as layering goes and subtle details, as well as being more atmosphere and dynamics based.
First listen was like "Yeah, not bad", but having now heard the album hundreds and hundreds of times since I bought it earlier this year, I just really love it.
Of course, The Great Cold Distance is a stunning album as well.

A whole ton of Isis stuff really does it for me too. Kinda broke my heart when I found out they disbanded, but I guess something good can come out of that.
The Agalloch album, "Ashes Against the Grain" is a really fantastic listen for when you're feeling done, or if it's late at night and it's raining outside, or just for winter in general.
I could go on and on about post rock/post metal albums and bands though, just love that kind of music.
I think I've come to realize I may actually prefer more minimalistic, atmospheric metal over in-yer-face stuff like thrash or death or whatever.
I think it may be due to the fact I'm more in touch with my emotions now and just more chilled out and at peace with myself than I used to be, so I'm not as frequently in the mood for full on in your face metal as I would have been say, 3 years ago.

Vocari Dei by Pain of Salvation. I can't listen to this song without crying. It's just great, as is the album imo

Lots of of Peter Gabriel songs, i don´t even have the need to understand what he says, just hearing him sing is enough.

Ayreon - The Human Equation.

My very quick 2c.

Metal:

All Death Albums (mainly post Spiritual Healing....honourable mentions: Sound of Perseverance, Symbolic)

Sepultura - Nation (notable song - Valtio...check it out on youtube man)

Opeth - Still Life (and any other Opeth album actually, but Godhead's Lament always slays me)

Rock:

Guano Apes - Walking on a Thin Line

Soul/Pop:

Seal - Seal II

Soundtracks and Scores:

MGS 1 Soundtrack

Epic Choral Action by Immediate Music

sentenced - the funeral album is amazing
warrel dane - album
nevermore - sentient no.6, the blue marble and the new soul, forever, dreaming neon black, the heart collector
megadeth - when? (hate song), the hardest part of letting go, IN MY DARKEST HOUR
dream theater - home, in the name of god, ministry of lost souls, scenes from a memory pt. 1 in general...

Lots of of Peter Gabriel songs

Good call - I've loved all his music from his proggy early days to his more pop offerings. Songs like "Red Rain", "Solsbury Hill", "Biko", "Don't Give Up" with my other listed artist Kate Bush, 'In Your Eyes", and one of my all time favorite songs "Family Snapshot" - he's such a great witer and performer (I've seen him about 5 times between old shows here in CT and others he has done in NJ and NY (he is one of the artists that both my older brother and I really like and we tend to go to these shows together - well Peter Gabriel and Rush :) )

Good call once again.

These are some songs that do a lot for me:

Darkest Hour - A Paradox With Flies
Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
Metallica - The Unforgiven
The Number Twelve Looks Like You - The Garden's All Nighters
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
Opeth - A Fair Judgement
Pete Murray - So Beautiful
Slipknot - Vermillion Pt.2
Ben Folds Five - Brick
Decrepit Birth - The Enigmatic Form
Martyr - Realms of Reverie

I'm honestly surprised to see not one mention of "Comfortably Numb" in this thread. To me, the solo (especially the extended live version) is the pinnacle of emotion in a song. The Wall is one of my favorite records ever, no matter how cliched it is by now.