song that could be better or worst with another album production

£xil on t}{£ Fa\\

eternal soul torture
Jan 22, 2004
shawinigan, quebec, canada
opeth changed their sound often thru the years. Like orchid and morningrise are sounding similars. Same for still life and blackwater park. But which songs do you think would be better or worst on another album's sound?

Like for exemple i think that demon on the fall would be less interesting on orchid.. losing some power like most of the songs on deliverance and mayh.

i'm wondering how would sound the dual guitars with deliverance's production... I don't think it 'ld sound as good.

but with the still life's production i think the 2 firsts album would sound greats.

IT depends of the style they are playing i think.

and some albums are more raw than others.

So it goes like that....

i think when and nectar, amen corner and karma might sound interesting on other albums i believe..

I wish Steven Wilson had produced Still Life. Then again, that couldn't have happened; Still Life is what got his attention in the first place. I think Opeth should re-record Orchid and Morningrise, just for the hell of it.

I don't think they should re-record the first two records... just remaster it. That won't make them sound amazingly slick by any means, but good enough because sometimes the production is just too dry for me, which is disappointing because some of those songs are so atmospheric (particularly Orchid). Disappointing that Candlelight made half-assed re-releases... they didn't fix ANY of the numerous typos in the booklets, didn't make any effort of remastering, nothing. Just tagged on shitty demo's and ok covers, all of which ruin the mood anyway.

Back on topic... I know some people really like the rawness of the first two records, even better than something really clean and slick like the production on Still Life... but I have to admit, I do like better clarity.

KennonKun said:
I wish Steven Wilson had produced Still Life. Then again, that couldn't have happened; Still Life is what got his attention in the first place. I think Opeth should re-record Orchid and Morningrise, just for the hell of it.

I love the production on both SL and BWP but I don't know, what steve was thinking on Deliverance, we lost a lot of the floaty ebow notes and most of the acoustic texturing behind the heavy parts that made SL and BWP sound so damn good.

Anyone who thinks that the early material should be re-recorded should be shot.

A live DVD playing the whole of Orchid/Morningrise... now thats a different story :)

^Agree with Decadent...

I don't have a complaint the albums' different productions; however, I wish My Arms Your Hearse had a sound like Still Life. Sometimes I can't really distinguish what they're playing! And, that one is still such a great album! I think it's a pity, isn't it?

Deliverance could definitely use better mixing... but I can't fault that with Steven Wilson. They recorded a good majority of the album in that prog studio where they had all the problems. The mistakes on it are less obvious on Damnation because they waited for Steve to come along to record most of the album, so only a little bit of that material was recorded at the first studio.

KennonKun said:
That would be cool, but Orchid and Morningrise sound excellent with the production they have. By no means is it "slick" or perfect, but alot of the songs would lose their feel if they had different production.

If Still Life had BWP's production, it go beyond levels of amazing. You would actually get to hear the bass guitar! :O